What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (20 Viewers)

gjn123

Agent
Real Name
Brendan Brennan
This is fabulous news!!! The great man finally gets his due on Blu-ray. Can't wait ti but all of them.

Reactions: PMF

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming this Fall!
Three Classics Starring Comedy Legend W.C. Fields!

• The Old Fashioned Way (1934) Directed by William Beaudine
• It’s a Gift (1934) Directed by Norman Z. McLeod
• The Bank Dick (1940) Directed by Edward F. Cline

Coming in 2022!
Three More Classics Starring Comedy Legend W.C. Fields!

• You’re Telling Me (1934) Directed by Erie C. Kenton
• Man on the Flying Trapeze (1935) Directed by Clyde Bruckman
• You Can’t Cheat an Honest Man (1939) Directed by George Marshall
May be a cartoon of text that says 'W.C.FIELDS THE Dick PURCELL Bank with Una MERKEL Franklin WITHERSPOON Jessie RALPH Richard PANGBORN Shemp Grady Cora HOWARD SUTTON UNIVERSAL UNIVERSAL Picture Original Screen layb Mahalma Kane Jeeves Directed EDWARD CLINE''W.C.FIELDS THE Dick PURCELL Bank with Una MERKEL Franklin WITHERSPOON Jessie RALPH Richard PANGBORN Shemp Grady Cora HOWARD SUTTON UNIVERSAL UNIVERSAL Picture Original Screen layb Mahalma Kane Jeeves Directed EDWARD CLINE'

I’m over the moon at this announcement - all of these are day one purchases for me. I’m glad that these titles have become available to Kino.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming this Fall!
Three Classics Starring Comedy Legend W.C. Fields!

• The Old Fashioned Way (1934) Directed by William Beaudine
• It’s a Gift (1934) Directed by Norman Z. McLeod
• The Bank Dick (1940) Directed by Edward F. Cline

Coming in 2022!
Three More Classics Starring Comedy Legend W.C. Fields!

• You’re Telling Me (1934) Directed by Erie C. Kenton
• Man on the Flying Trapeze (1935) Directed by Clyde Bruckman
• You Can’t Cheat an Honest Man (1939) Directed by George Marshall
May be a cartoon of text that says 'W.C.FIELDS THE Dick PURCELL Bank with Una MERKEL Franklin WITHERSPOON Jessie RALPH Richard PANGBORN Shemp Grady Cora HOWARD SUTTON UNIVERSAL UNIVERSAL Picture Original Screen layb Mahalma Kane Jeeves Directed EDWARD CLINE''W.C.FIELDS THE Dick PURCELL Bank with Una MERKEL Franklin WITHERSPOON Jessie RALPH Richard PANGBORN Shemp Grady Cora HOWARD SUTTON UNIVERSAL UNIVERSAL Picture Original Screen layb Mahalma Kane Jeeves Directed EDWARD CLINE'
I figured there had to be more of these after "Never Give A Sucker An Even Break".

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
All six Fields films are getting preordered the moment they're up on Kino's site. Wasn't expecting this at all and was halfway thinking they were with Shout or Criterion.

I believe in the past that the Insider said most of the Fields films had been licensed to another label. It’s possible that the other label’s option on those titles expired, allowing Kino to pick them up in a more recent deal.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Most likely only if the first set sells well.

The Insider previously made the promise below about the Deanna Durbin sets and we know how that went (yes, I'm aware Universal is planning to release a new set).

I have no problem with the business decision they made on these sets in the end, but firm promises like the above that are not followed through are disappointing. Fingers crossed that WC Fields Volume 2 sees the light of day.

I'm sure it will. Durbin is virtually unknown to people under 50 except for hardcore musical buffs, while Fields' name still rings a bell with the general public, even if they haven't actually seen any of his films.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Really looking forward to this. Man on the Flying Trapeze is a favorite of mine. Personally, I think it’s Field’s best film.

It’s definitely under appreciated - I hope the new disc will give fans a chance to rediscover it. I remember seeing it for the first time at a festival and wondering how it had managed to fly under the radar. I think Kathleen Howard and Grady Sutton are both terrific onscreen foils for him and it’s a treat to see them all together.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I wonder if the hilarious "International House" (1933) will be included in one of the potential sets of 3 titles? It's currently included in a DVD set of 10 WC Fields titles from Universal, but it might seem to be an oddball choice for the Blu-ray sets, especially as Fields only has a supporting role in this one.

Maybe one of the sets will have four titles or they'll just omit this title from the sets all together? Hoping to hear back from someone from Kino Lorber on this question. It sure would be nice to have this wacky, offbeat title on Blu-ray.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I wonder if the hilarious "International House" (1933) will be included in one of the potential sets of 3 titles? It's currently included in a DVD set of 10 WC Fields titles from Universal, but it might seem to be an oddball choice for the Blu-ray sets, especially as Fields only has a supporting role in this one.

Maybe one of the sets will have four titles or they'll just omit this title from the sets all together? Hoping to hear back from someone from Kino Lorber on this question. It sure would be nice to have this wacky, offbeat title on Blu-ray.

These should be all released as individual dics just like the mae west releases so it wont matter if they release three more on a potential future release. The kino insider has stated they were done releasing box sets a while back. I believe the carole lombard vol 2 was the last kino box set for the kino classics line and it was annoounnced just before he made that statement. Future releases will depend on how the next three do. No garantees on the next three that were announced for 2022 if the durbin titles are any indication as they were cancelled.

Last edited:

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
These should be all released as individual dics just like the mae west releases so it wont matter if they release three more on a potential future release. The kino insider has stated they were done releasing box sets a while back. I believe the carole lombard vol 2 was the last kino box set for the kino classics line.
Thanks for the clarification, Dan!

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I'm certainly thrilled by this announcement of more W.C. Fields on Blu-ray! I know that Kino's Insider has remarked (based on lower sales of their previous Fields releases) that they would only license more if they had HD transfers. Well, they licensed more (before anybody gets too confused, I'm referring to the six just announced), so that should mean these six have HD transfers, which means they should all get released. What is NOT for sure is WHO will release them. If the first three do terribly enough that Kino drops them, then Universal may just release them through their MOD line (like they are with three of the dropped Durbin films).
BUT, before anybody takes too much glee from that, you should consider this: with the Kino releases, we will get the movie with an HD transfer and maybe some extras, all for about $15 full price (at least, if you order from the Kino site directly). IF the last three go to Universal MOD, you will get the same HD transfer that Kino got, and likely NO extras, all for about $20. In short, you would be paying MORE to get LESS (and if you still want more releases, you would HAVE to pay that higher price, as that's what it would take to convince Universal to try anything further). So, if you want more than just the first three (and more than the six total announced here), do yourself (and your wallet) a favor, and buy the Kino releases as soon as possible, and at full price. Otherwise, it will cost you more down the road, especially if you want any more of the remaining W.C. Fields films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand New 4K Restoration!

Violent City (1970) aka The Family
- Starring Charles Bronson, Telly Savalas, Jill Ireland, Umberto Orsini & Michel Constantin – Shot by Aldo Tonti (Nights of Cabiria) – Music by Ennio Morricone (A Fistful of Dollars) – Co-Written by Lina Wertmüller (Seven Beauties) – Directed by Sergio Sollima (The Big Gundown).

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'CHARLES TELLY JILL BRONSON SAVALAS IRELAND VE CITTA VIOLENTA CON UMBERTO ORSINI CON MICHEL CONSTANTIN COPRODUZIONE ITALO -FRANCESE UNIDIS-FONO ROMA- UNIVERSAL FRANCE DIRETTOD SERGIO SOLLIMA DISTRIBUZIONE UNIVERSAL TEC'NICOLOR'

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
One of my favorite Bronson films on Blu at last! Wonderful!

Between this and yesterday’s W.C. Fields announcement, Kino continues to amaze me with so much to look forward to in the months to come.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
no request needed as Kino has employed this guy

1622998402155.png

because they continue to nail it week after week

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'm certainly thrilled by this announcement of more W.C. Fields on Blu-ray! I know that Kino's Insider has remarked (based on lower sales of their previous Fields releases) that they would only license more if they had HD transfers. Well, they licensed more (before anybody gets too confused, I'm referring to the six just announced), so that should mean these six have HD transfers, which means they should all get released. What is NOT for sure is WHO will release them. If the first three do terribly enough that Kino drops them, then Universal may just release them through their MOD line (like they are with three of the dropped Durbin films).
BUT, before anybody takes too much glee from that, you should consider this: with the Kino releases, we will get the movie with an HD transfer and maybe some extras, all for about $15 full price (at least, if you order from the Kino site directly). IF the last three go to Universal MOD, you will get the same HD transfer that Kino got, and likely NO extras, all for about $20. In short, you would be paying MORE to get LESS (and if you still want more releases, you would HAVE to pay that higher price, as that's what it would take to convince Universal to try anything further). So, if you want more than just the first three (and more than the six total announced here), do yourself (and your wallet) a favor, and buy the Kino releases as soon as possible, and at full price. Otherwise, it will cost you more down the road, especially if you want any more of the remaining W.C. Fields films.
Kino is doing so great Uni should just hand over the keys to their Home Video dept to them!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks