What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (14 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 14th from CODE RED and Kino Lorber!

The French Conspiracy (1972) AKA L'Attentat / The Assassination / Plot
• Brand New 4K Restoration from the Original Camera Negative
• Includes both the Original French and the Shorter English Dub Cuts
• Trailers

Color 123 Minutes 1.66:1 Not Rated
Discovering that exiled Algerian OAS terrorist Sadiel (Gian Maria Volontè, For a Few Dollars More) is about to return to France, both the CIA and the French Secret Service go on red alert. They blackmail a journalist, François Darien (Jean-Louis Trintignant, The Conformist), into helping them to entice Sadiel to Paris, in order to assassinate him. Meanwhile Michael Howard (Roy Scheider, The Seven-Ups) discovers the double-cross, only to be warned off by the CIA, who are quite happy to have the French dig their own political grave. A taut, gripping drama unfolds, as two secret service agencies fight for superiority on the streets of Paris. Yves Boisset (Dog Day) directed this political thriller based largely on the true story of the Mehdi Ben Barka affair, with music by the great Ennio Morricone (The Sicilian Clan) and a loaded international cast including Michel Piccoli (Max and the Junkmen), Jean Seberg (Breathless), Michel Bouquet (The Unfaithful Wife), Bruno Cremer (Sorcerer), Daniel Ivernel (Ulysses), Philippe Noiret (Topaz), François Périer (Le Samouraï) and Nigel Davenport (Phase IV).

738329255466.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
The Insider has said on several occasions that if the announcement does not mention a new restoration then there is not a new restoration. Apparently only the trailers have new restorations. No need to ask if it is not mentioned.
Yes, we restored the trailer, teaser, TV trailer, TV spots and the archival Henry Mancini interview, all in 2K. The Universal master for Arabesque looks great, no need to do a new transfer.

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
Coming September 14th from CODE RED and Kino Lorber!

The French Conspiracy (1972) AKA Attentat / The Assassination
• Brand New 4K Restoration from the Original Camera Negative
• Includes both the Original French and the Shorter English Dub Cuts
• Trailers

Color 120 Minutes 1.66:1 Not Rated
Discovering that exiled Algerian OAS terrorist Sadiel (Gian Maria Volontè, For a Few Dollars More) is about to return to France, both the CIA and the French Secret Service go on red alert. They blackmail a journalist, François Darien (Jean-Louis Trintignant, The Conformist), into helping them to entice Sadiel to Paris, in order to assassinate him. Meanwhile Michael Howard (Roy Scheider, The Seven-Ups) discovers the double-cross, only to be warned off by the CIA, who are quite happy to have the French dig their own political grave. A taut, gripping drama unfolds, as two secret service agencies fight for superiority on the streets of Paris. Yves Boisset (Dog Day) directed this political thriller based largely on the true story of the Mehdi Ben Barka affair, with music by the great Ennio Morricone (The Sicilian Clan) and a loaded international cast including Michel Piccoli (Max and the Junkmen), Jean Seberg (Breathless), Michel Bouquet (The Unfaithful Wife), Bruno Cremer (Sorcerer), Daniel Ivernel (Ulysses), Philippe Noiret (Topaz), François Périer (Le Samouraï) and Nigel Davenport (Phase IV).

View attachment 99900
I've purchased pretty much all of these French thrillers, most of which are pretty obscure. Keep 'em coming, merci!

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
They're the kinds of genre-ish movies (not just from France) that distributors of "arthouse" foreign-language films turned their noses up at. (Some did show up in the U.S., usually cut and dubbed.) Bread and butter for their stars and often quite good but not Truffaut, Godard, Lelouch, etc. in the 70s.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
They're the kinds of genre-ish movies (not just from France) that distributors of "arthouse" foreign-language films turned their noses up at. (Some did show up in the U.S., usually cut and dubbed.) Bread and butter for their stars and often quite good but not Truffaut, Godard, Lelouch, etc. in the 70s.
Lots of those French thrillers used to show up, in the original French language with subtitles, at the Apollo on 42nd Street in the 60's & 70's. I remember seeing "Le Passanger de la Pluie", "Borsalino", "Le Casse" "Le Clan des Siciliens" & many others. They were booked specifically for the hearing disabled, which was their core audience.

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
Lots of those French thrillers used to show up, in the original French language with subtitles, at the Apollo on 42nd Street in the 60's & 70's. I remember seeing "Le Passanger de la Pluie", "Borsalino", "Le Casse" "Le Clan des Siciliens" & many others. They were booked specifically for the hearing disabled, which was their core audience.
That I did not know. I think the last three did get wider theatrical distribution.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
That I did not know. I think the last three did get wider theatrical distribution.
Those were all dubbed and cut for neighborhood theaters, with generally crappy, grainy, green or yellow tinged prints; whereas at the Apollo there were French prints, with much better color and contrast and sometimes additional scenes. In particular, "The Sicilian Clan" was abridged and poorly dubbed with dreadful color at my local UA theater, whereas the print of the French version that played the Apollo was really beautiful. And I mean beautiful! It was even more impressive than the Blu-Ray. It knocked my eyes out! "Borsalino" was also stunning at the Apollo, which is a film that rises or falls on the quality of the costumes and sets, whereas in neighborhood theatres it looked dupey and paltry; all yellow. I don't know where the Brandt booking office got those prints from, but they were great. There were also films at the Apollo that never played anywhere else in NYC, but I no longer remember the names. It was a very interesting audience, a mix of the hearing impaired, foreign film buffs and drunks. I remember the drunks gave "Pierrot Le Fou" a standing ovation at the end. Some of them even cheered. I'm not exagerating. It was 10 AM and they were clearly there to sleep, but the film rosued them. They were much more expressive than the espresso and croissant crowd at the Kips Bay.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 21st!

Skullduggery (1970)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger, C. Courtney Joyner and Sergio Mims
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 105 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
Screen legend Burt Reynolds (100 Rifles, Fuzz, White Lightning) stars in the missing-link adventure film Skullduggery. An expedition into the interior of Papua New Guinea comes across a tribe of ape-like people, the Tropis, who may or may not be ancestors of early man. However, the influence of modern man is to have devastating effects upon these forgotten people. When one of the Tropis is allegedly murdered, the following murder trial centers around the question of whether the Tropis are human or animal. Susan Clark (Coogan’s Bluff), Roger C. Carmel (Breezy), Paul Hubschmid (Funeral in Berlin), Chips Rafferty (Wake in Fright), Alexander Knox (Modesty Blaise), Edward Fox (Wild Geese II), Wilfrid Hyde-White (P.J.), William Marshall (Blacula) and singer Pat Suzuki co-star in this mix of sci-fi adventure and courtroom drama directed by Gordon Douglas (Them!, Barquero, They Call Me Mister Tibbs!).

738329255480.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Senior HTF Member
Coming September 21st!

Skullduggery (1970)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger and C. Courtney Joyner
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 105 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
Screen legend Burt Reynolds (100 Rifles, Fuzz, White Lightning) stars in the missing-link adventure film Skullduggery. An expedition into the interior of Papua New Guinea comes across a tribe of ape-like people, the Tropis, who may or may not be ancestors of early man. However, the influence of modern man is to have devastating effects upon these forgotten people. When one of the Tropis is allegedly murdered, the following murder trial centers around the question of whether the Tropis are human or animal. Susan Clark (Coogan’s Bluff), Roger C. Carmel (Breezy), Paul Hubschmid (Funeral in Berlin), Chips Rafferty (Wake in Fright), Alexander Knox (Modesty Blaise), Edward Fox (Wild Geese II), Wilfrid Hyde-White (P.J.), William Marshall (Blacula) and singer Pat Suzuki co-star in this mix of sci-fi adventure and courtroom drama directed by Gordon Douglas (Them!, Barquero, They Call Me Mister Tibbs!).

View attachment 99995
Another difficult-to-see title, one that played all the time on syndicated TV before vanishing, rescued!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
We added 116 titles to the current Universal deal. Here's the breakdown by decade.

1929 x 1
1930s x 24
1940s x 23
1950s x 39
1960s x 11
1970s x 7
1980s x 5
1990s x 4
2000s x 1
2010s x 1

8 of the releases will be Code Red/KL co-releases and 6 are Scorpion/KL co-releases.

3 are TV movies, no TV Shows. 2 are 4KUHD releases, 1 from 2000s and 1 from 2010s.

None of the titles will be released on DVD, not even the titles coming on home video for the first time.

We plan to release 10 more Film Noir sets and some standalone Noir releases.

We also have a dozen or so pre-code titles.

We're also looking to add 1-3 more titles, including 1 TV movie.

Last edited:

Gerani53

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Quite a group! Looks like the '50s has the most amount of titles. Bodes well for CITY BENEATH THE SEA, SIGN OF THE PAGAN, FOUR GIRLS IN TOWN, I'VE LIVED BEFORE, and many others. Keep doing God's work, Kino!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
We added 116 titles to the current Universal deal. Here's the breakdown by decade.

1929 x 1
1930s x 24
1940s x 23
1950s x 39
1969s x 11
1970s x 7
1980s x 5
1990s x 4
2000s x 1
2010s x 1

8 of the releases will be Code Red/KL co-releases and 6 are Scorpion/KL co-releases.

3 are TV movies, no TV Shows. 2 are 4KUHD releases, 1 from 2000s and 1 from 2010s.

None of the titles will be released on DVD, not even the titles coming on home video for the first time.

We plan to release 10 more Film Noir sets and some standalone Noir releases.

We also have a dozen or so pre-code titles.

We're also looking to add 1-3 more titles, including 1 TV movie.

Fantastic news! My hope is still alive for some Dorothy Lamour ‘sarong’ films, and “Here Come the Nelsons” from the 1950s grouping.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Wonderful news! Kino's Universal releases are phenomenal!!! So glad most of the tiltes are from Hollywood golden age!
I do not know if we are allowed to ask for any hints, but usually you allow some questions whenever a new deal is announced. So here I am...
May we expect any titles directed by Mark Sandrich or George Cukor?
And what about Maria Montez?
We are allowed to ask for hints—not specific titles—over in the "Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays" thread here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kumaresan.nk
Recent bookmarks