What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (13 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Interesting that the blu ray jacket is using the billing used when the film was re-released in the 1950s when John Wayne and Susan Hayward were top box office stars. Since Wayne (upped to first billing from second) and Susan Hayward (upped to second billing from 7th) had become huge box office stars since the film's original 1942 release they get top billing although Hayward's is a supporting role. The original 1942 billing read starring Ray Milland, John Wayne, Paulette Goddard. With Raymond Massey, Lynne Overman, Robert Preston and Susan Hayward.

Same with the Universal DVD. The Billing Block was legally changed when it was re-released. But it wasn't when they re-released Desert Fury, where the re-release had Lancaster top billed.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Great news on Reap the Wild Wind. Looking forward to it.

Kino Insider, have you guys considered also releasing the other Universal-owned DeMille films The Plainsman (1936), Union Pacific (1939), North West Mounted Police (1940), The Story of Dr. Wassell (1944), and Unconquered (1947)? The two in bold never even had DVD releases.

We would be interested in some of these if they were available to us.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I beg to differ. I looked in both the announcement and "Sweet Charity thread" forums before I posted. The only recent updates were about Amazon pricing. But now it *is* in this forum in the on-going posts, where I would argue it should have been *when it was changed*.

In the thread, Kino said that the release was delayed due to having to find another person to do an audio commentary, since Julie Krigo he to decline.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 10th!

Blindfold (1966) with optional English subtitles
• Animated Image Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 102 Minutes 2.35:1 NR
In the tradition of Charade and Arabesque, screen icons Rock Hudson (The Tarnished Angels) and Claudia Cardinale (Once Upon a Time in the West) co-star in this suspense-filled espionage thriller with a touch of comedy, wonderfully directed by Philip Dunne (Ten North Frederick). General Pratt (Jack Warden, The White Buffalo), a national security chief, and his aides approach successful psychiatrist Dr. Bartholomew Snow (Hudson) for a top secret mission for the United States government. A brilliant scientist, once a patient of Dr. Snow’s, has evidently had a mental breakdown and is hiding in a remote government safehouse known only as “Base X.” With enemy agents on his tail, Snow soon finds himself caught in the middle—and out of desperation, he falls in with a mysterious and beautiful woman named Vicky Vincenti (Cardinale). But is she helping him, or is she yet another sinister figure out to manipulate him? Co-starring Guy Stockwell (The War Lord) and Brad Dexter (99 River Street), with top-notch widescreen cinematography by Joseph MacDonald (The Sand Pebbles) and a rousing score by the great Lalo Schifrin (Mission: Impossible).

738329238995.jpg

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
More Agatha Christie on blu ray is a good thing. I don't think Endless Night is among her best books and the movie is just okay. The best thing about it is the Bernard Herrmann score which I believe has never had a legitimate soundtrack release. I'll definitely be adding it to my collection.

I don't believe that ENDLESS NIGHT ever had a theatrical release in the U.S. Glad that it's getting a chance on Blu-ray.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I don't believe that ENDLESS NIGHT ever had a theatrical release in the U.S. Glad that it's getting a chance on Blu-ray.
I didn't find this on the extended list dates of Kino's upcoming releases. I did see Endless Love. Are we sure Endless Night is coming out and do we know a date? Thanks!

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Crawdaddy's been quoting the 11 am weekend Kino posts for those who don't care to go look them up on
Facebook or Twitter.
Thanks! I checked on Facebook and I have liked their page and follow them but I guess I don't see all of their posts. I just checked and it is on there. I was relying on this thread and they usually post a pic of the artwork and the announcements of their upcoming releases here and I just wanted to make sure as I am a huge Hayley fan!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Mirage and Blindfold both coming! Mirage is a very good film and I'm pleased to say the psychiatrist in this film is not a cliché character. He is presented as fallible and rather unpleasant.

Blindfold is already out on Blu-ray in Europe and I can assure everyone that the transfer is superb. Kino have chosen wisely here!

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Thanks! I checked on Facebook and I have liked their page and follow them but I guess I don't see all of their posts. I just checked and it is on there. I was relying on this thread and they usually post a pic of the artwork and the announcements of their upcoming releases here and I just wanted to make sure as I am a huge Hayley fan!

As several of my friends have painfully learned, Facebook decides in a seemingly arbitrary manner which of your friend's and followee's posts to show you. My favorite was showing me a post from a favored merchant announcing a one-day sale, but showing it to me two days later!

And to keep this post on-topic, I believe the Insider revealed for the first time on "the board that shall not be named" that SONG OF NORWAY will be coming out in 2020, scanned in 2K from an 35mm interpositive.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
And to keep this post on-topic, I believe the Insider revealed for the first time on "the board that shall not be named" that SONG OF NORWAY will be coming out in 2020, scanned in 2K from an 35mm interpositive.

Song of Norway has only been released on video in Pan & Scan 1.33.

Since it's from 35mm probably 2.35 scope and hopefully stereo sound since it is a musical. 5.1 or 2.0 stereo would be nice.

359-710416-SE3B-Norway.jpg

Premiere 11/10/1970
son111070.jpg

07/11/1971 - last day. Amazing eight month run at the LA Cinerama Dome.
son071171.jpg

Last edited:

mop

Agent
Real Name
Max
In the thread, Kino said that the release was delayed due to having to find another person to do an audio commentary, since Julie Krigo he to decline.

I wasn't debating that. The *new date* had not been included in this thread until after I mentioned it.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 17th!

Support Your Local Sheriff (1969) only on Blu-ray!
with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Michael Schlesinger
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 93 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated G
Armed with a wry sense of humor and a straight-shooting sidearm, James Garner (Duel at Diablo) fights for peace, justice and fun in this outrageous, irreverent and very funny farce co-starring Joan Hackett (Will Penny), Walter Brennan (Rio Bravo), Harry Morgan (The Ox-Bow Incident), Bruce Dern (The Cowboys), Gene Evans (The Bounty Man) and Jack Elam (Rawhide). On his way to Australia, frontier opportunist Jason McCullough (Garner) stumbles into a small gold-rush town and decides to earn a little extra pocket money by accepting a temporary assignment as their sheriff. Happily applying himself to his new position, McCullough manages to turn the town derelict (Elam) into his deputy, outsmart the dreaded Danby clan (led by Brennan), and fend off the lusty advances of the mayor’s daughter (Hackett)—all without breaking a sweat or dirtying his shiny black boots! Directed by western legend Burt Kennedy (Seven Men from Now), Support Your Local Sheriff is sheer entertainment from start to finish!

Support Your Local Gunfighter (1971) only on Blu-ray!
with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Michael Schlesinger
• Deleted Scenes – Newly Transferred in HD
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 91 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated G
Screen legend James Garner (Support Your Local Sheriff) is back in the saddle in Support Your Local Gunfighter, a powder keg of laughs co-starring Suzanne Pleshette, Jack Elam, Harry Morgan, Joan Blondell, Marie Windsor, Henry Jones, John Dehner, Dub Taylor, Gene Evans and Chuck Connors. Hustling gigolo Latigo Smith (Garner) arrives in a mining town for an operation, but while in town he overhears that the local mining baron Taylor Baton (Morgan) is looking to hire the notorious gunman Swifty Morgan to wipe out his competition. Seizing the opportunity for an easy con, Smith passes off a reprobate cowhand, Jug (Elam), as the dreaded Swifty… with bankroll in-hand, he plans to head for the hills at first opportunity. Complicating matters are Barton’s suspicious pistol-packin’ daughter, Patience (Pleshette), and the arrival of the real Swifty Morgan (Connors). Now, can Smith come up with a scheme to save Jug’s hide, stop the mining feud and win over Patience—or will he end up blowing up the entire town! Directed by western legend Burt Kennedy (Ride Lonesome).

The Bounty Man (1972 TV Movie) only on DVD!
• Interview with Director John Llewellyn Moxey

Color 73 Minutes 1.33:1 Not Rated
Screen and TV legend Clint Walker (Sam Whiskey and TV’s Cheyenne) is Kinkaid, a bounty hunter obsessed with tracking down the man responsible for his wife’s death. Kinkaid is rugged, hard-driving, militant and particularly determined to find outlaw Billy Riddle (John Ericson, Bad Day at Black Rock), a young killer with a high price on his head. Kinkaid traces Billy, takes him captive and starts the long trek to justice. However, this journey may lead him to dire consequences… a gang of cut-throats headed by Angus Keough (Richard Basehart, The Satan Bug) is pursuing them. The great John Llewellyn Moxey (The Night Stalker) directed this action-packed western co-starring Margot Kidder (The Reincarnation of Peter Proud), Gene Evans (Support Your Local Sheriff), Arthur Hunnicutt (The Spikes Gang) and iconic stuntman turned filmmaker Hal Needham (Gator).

The Daughters of Joshua Cabe (1972 TV Movie) only on DVD!

Lock Up Your Sons… Here Come The Daughters of Joshua Cabe!
Joshua Cabe (Buddy Ebsen, TV’s The Beverly Hillbillies) had to get three daughters fast, but what he got was three fast daughters! Due to an unusual homesteading law, an aging cowboy in the old west needs his children to help him establish his claim on his property. With his real daughters unavailable, he recruits three young women with criminal backgrounds to pose as his daughters. Charity (Karen Valentine, TV’s Room 222) the career criminal, Mae (Lesley Ann Warren, Clue) the prostitute, and Ada (Sandra Dee, Gidget) the pickpocket are the “daughters” in this lusty, bawdy western-comedy. The stellar cast includes Jack Elam (Support Your Local Gunfighter), Don Stroud (Von Richthofen and Brown), Henry Jones (3:10 to Yuma), Leif Erickson (Strait-Jacket), Michael Anderson Jr. (The Sons of Katie Elder), Paul Koslo (Mr. Majestyk) and William Katt (Carrie).

The Trackers (1971 TV Movie) only on DVD!

Sam Paxton (Ernest Borgnine, Marty) is devastated when he returns home to his ranch to find his only son murdered and his daughter kidnapped by Army deserters. On a mission of revenge, Sam gathers a small posse and seeks the help of an old friend, a tracker, to help him locate his daughter. Ezekiel Smith (Sammy Davis Jr., A Man Called Adam), an experienced frontier scout with a will of his own, shows up instead of Sam’s friend. Despite Sam’s bigoted reluctance, “Zeke” joins his posse. And when the posse deserts Sam after learning that the kidnappers are not deserters, but renegade Indians, Sam is left to depend solely on Zeke to help him retrieve his daughter. Julie Adams (Man of the West), Norman Alden (The Devil’s Brigade), Jim Davis (The Cariboo Trail), Leo Gordon (Tobruk), Arthur Hunnicutt (The Bounty Man) and William Katt (The Daughters of Joshua Cabe) co-star in this action-packed western directed by Earl Bellamy (Jungle Jim).

westerns.jpg

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't seen Song of Norway since its theatrical release. Never on TV, never in a revival theater, never on home video. So, I am very anxious to see it again.

Reactions: PMF

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Love the TV western movies of the early seventies . Only wish they were coming in bluray . All three movies are pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks