What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (22 Viewers)

mop

Agent
Real Name
Max
Although I didn't find an announcement of SWEET CHARITY being postponed to August 20 in this list, it *has* changed in the "Coming" section on the first page, as well as at Amazon. No comments about it here, either, but those looking forward to this release should be aware.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Although I didn't find an announcement of SWEET CHARITY being postponed to August 20 in this list, it *has* changed in the "Coming" section on the first page, as well as at Amazon. No comments about it here, either, but those looking forward to this release should be aware.
Charity. Hope. And a little bit of Faith. Some times such delays yields greater benefits.:)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 10th on BD!

Reap the Wild Wind (1942) with optional English subtitles
• Animated Image Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 123 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From Cecil B. DeMille, the legendary director of The Sign of the Cross, Cleopatra, Samson and Delilah and The Ten Commandments comes this turbulent, swashbuckling tale with an all-star cast, set in 1840s Key West. Reap the Wild Wind stars Ray Milland (The Lost Weekend), John Wayne (Rio Bravo), Paulette Goddard (The Ghost Breakers), Robert Preston (Junior Bonner), Susan Hayward (Rawhide), Raymond Massey (Abe Lincoln in Illinois) and Charles Bickford (The Big Country). A potent combination of romance and adventure, the film centers on a headstrong independent woman played by Goddard. Along the seaboard of the American South, cut-throat salvagers who profit from the wrecks of transatlantic cargo ships move from exploiting shipwrecks to causing them. As the most dangerous of the salvagers, King Cutler (Massey), takes aim at the ships of the wealthy Devereaux Company, ambitious ship captain Jack Stuart (Wayne) and company lawyer Stephen Tolliver (Milland) vie for the hand of feisty Loxi Claiborne (Goddard). Winner of the Academy Award for Best Effects, Special Effects and nominated for two other Oscars, Best Cinematography (Color) and Best Art Direction - Interior Decoration (Color).

738329239572.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

Sweet Charity is coming out on August 20th.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

The date change was discussed in the Sweet Charity thread.

Reactions: PMF

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Interesting that the blu ray jacket is using the billing used when the film was re-released in the 1950s when John Wayne and Susan Hayward were top box office stars. Since Wayne (upped to first billing from second) and Susan Hayward (upped to second billing from 7th) had become huge box office stars since the film's original 1942 release they get top billing although Hayward's is a supporting role. The original 1942 billing read starring Ray Milland, John Wayne, Paulette Goddard. With Raymond Massey, Lynne Overman, Robert Preston and Susan Hayward.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Interesting that the blu ray jacket is using the billing used when the film was re-released in the 1950s when John Wayne and Susan Hayward were top box office stars. Since Wayne (upped to first billing from second) and Susan Hayward (upped to second billing from 7th) had become huge box office stars since the film's original 1942 release they get top billing although Hayward's is a supporting role. The original 1942 billing read starring Ray Milland, John Wayne, Paulette Goddard. With Raymond Massey, Lynne Overman, Robert Preston and Susan Hayward.
Yeah, I noticed that too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've never owned a home video version of Reap the Wild Wind. I streamed a version from YouTube the last time I watched it, and it was reasonably good quality, but I'm sure this Blu-ray will end up looking spectacular.
I got two DVD releases with the 2007 TCM release looking better than the 1998 DVD. I've been waiting on a Blu-ray release for a very long time.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
Great news on Reap the Wild Wind. Looking forward to it.

Kino Insider, have you guys considered also releasing the other Universal-owned DeMille films The Plainsman (1936), Union Pacific (1939), North West Mounted Police (1940), The Story of Dr. Wassell (1944), and Unconquered (1947)? The two in bold never even had DVD releases.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Great news on Reap the Wild Wind. Looking forward to it.

Kino Insider, have you guys considered also releasing the other Universal-owned DeMille films The Plainsman (1936), Union Pacific (1939), North West Mounted Police (1940), The Story of Dr. Wassell (1944), and Unconquered (1947)? The two in bold never even had DVD releases.

You're in for a treat, I have the French Blu-ray of Reap The Wild Wind & it looks great, you may need to wear sunglasses to handle that, oh so vivid colour. Unconquered has been released in France & Germany (I'm surprised that Kino didn't release it, maybe Universal wouldn't give it to them). I have the German release & it looks great, one of my favourite Blu-rays (& it's only 9 euros now), I believe the French release from Elephant films is multi-region, & Elephant films also released North West Mounted Police, but only on DVD for some reason.

https://www.amazon.fr/Tuniques-écarlates-Gary-Cooper/dp/B07DXQ4QGV/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=6QO7D0NK2TIK&keywords=north+west+mounted+police&qid=1560955251&s=dvd&sprefix=north+west,aps,148&sr=1-1

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

Yup, Ray Milland was the leading man & star of the film, & very good he was too. In a way it's an unusual roll for John Wayne, as he plays a weak character, & it doesn't really work, Wayne has to be rock solid. A smashing film, the kind of movie I'd watch on TV in the late fifties, early sixties, in b/w then of course.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Yup, Ray Milland was the leading man & star of the film, & very good he was too. In a way it's an unusual roll for John Wayne, as he plays a weak character, & it doesn't really work, Wayne has to be rock solid. A smashing film, the kind of movie I'd watch on TV in the late fifties, early sixties, in b/w then of course.
This reminds me of John Wayne’s role in THE LONG VOYAGE HOME, where he plays a captive Swede... totally miscast.

mop

Agent
Real Name
Max
The date change was discussed in the Sweet Charity thread.

I beg to differ. I looked in both the announcement and "Sweet Charity thread" forums before I posted. The only recent updates were about Amazon pricing. But now it *is* in this forum in the on-going posts, where I would argue it should have been *when it was changed*.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 10th!

Mirage (1965) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger, Steve Mitchell and Nathaniel Thompson
• Animated Image Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer

B&W 108 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Gregory Peck (The Big Country), Diane Baker (Krakatoa: East of Java) and Walter Matthau (The Taking of Pelham One Two Three) star in Mirage, a psychological thriller where danger, deception and even murder lurk around every corner. Bewildered accountant David Stillwell (Peck) believes he must be suffering from some form of amnesia and enlists the help of a private detective (Matthau) to help determine his identity. Experiencing flashbacks of a disturbing past and perplexed by the woman (Baker) in his life, Stillwell struggles to make sense of his perilous situation before a murder plot ensnares him. Filmed on location in alluring New York City, Mirage is an edge-of-your-seat suspense film that remains one of the genre’s timeless classics. Directed by Edward Dmytryk (Murder, My Sweet) with a screenplay by Peter Stone (Charade), based on the novel Fallen Angel by Howard Fast (Spartacus). The sensational cast includes Kevin McCarthy (Invasion of the Body Snatchers), Jack Weston (Fuzz), Leif Erickson (Strait-Jacket), Walter Abel (13 Rue Madeleine) and George Kennedy (Thunderbolt and Lightfoot).

738329239602.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks