What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (17 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Once again, please check our Facebook and Twitter pages on Saturday and Sunday at 11:00AM for new announcements.

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStudioClassics/
https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic

klsc.jpg

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Great news on Reap the Wild Wind. Looking forward to it.

Kino Insider, have you guys considered also releasing the other Universal-owned DeMille films The Plainsman (1936), Union Pacific (1939), North West Mounted Police (1940), The Story of Dr. Wassell (1944), and Unconquered (1947)? The two in bold never even had DVD releases.

It's my understanding that Universal has lost the rights to NWMP and seems in no hurry to re-acquire them. A shame, as it's one of C.B.'s most entertaining films.

Mike S.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Coming Soon on DVD and BD!

She (1984) Starring Sandahl Bergman (Conan the Barbarian, Red Sonja) – Shot by Sandro Mancori (Sabata, Adiós, Sabata, Return of Sabata) – Music by Phil Campbell of “Motörhead”, Justin Hayward of “The Moody Blues” and Rick Wakeman of “Yes” – Based on the Novel by H. Rider Haggard – Written and Directed by Avi Nesher (Timebomb, Doppelganger).

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Out of curiosity, and somewhat related to today’s announcement, would anyone happen to know who owns the rights to the 1935 She (one of the few RKO titles Warner didn’t get, if I’m not mistaken)?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Coming Soon on DVD and BD!
Two Films by Paul Bartel, the director of Eating Raoul, Private Parts and Death Race 2000!

Not for Publication (1984) 4K Restoration!
Starring Nancy Allen, David Naughton, Laurence Luckinbill and Alan Rosenberg – Co-Written and Directed by Paul Bartel

Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills (1989) 2K Restoration!
Starring Jacqueline Bisset, Ray Sharkey, Mary Woronov, Robert Beltran, Ed Begley Jr., Wallace Shawn, Paul Bartel, Paul Mazursky, Rebecca Shaeffer, Susan Saiger and Michael Feinstein – Story and Screenplay by Bruce Wagner (Wild Palms, Shocker) – Story and Direction by Paul Bartel

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Paul Bartel's EATING RAOUL is terrific fun, but SCENES FROM A CLASS STRUGGLE... is horrible, in my opinion. Haven't seen NOT FOR PUBLICATION, but I can't imagine it's any worse.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Paul Bartel's EATING RAOUL is terrific fun, but SCENES FROM A CLASS STRUGGLE... is horrible, in my opinion. Haven't seen NOT FOR PUBLICATION, but I can't imagine it's any worse.

Oh, we're so not in agreement here, Dick (again :)). I found Scenes From The Class Struggle in Beverly Hills quite amusing and never thought the day would arrive when I'd actually see it in blu ray (much less DVD). I'm very much looking forward to this!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Oh, we're so not in agreement here, Dick (again :)). I found Scenes From The Class Struggle in Beverly Hills quite amusing and never thought the day would arrive when I'd actually see it in blu ray (much less DVD). I'm very much looking forward to this!

I'm glad it has its champions. I admit that I, too, was surprised to see it announced for Blu-ray, but I won't be waiting in line, is all.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Out of curiosity, and somewhat related to today’s announcement, would anyone happen to know who owns the rights to the 1935 She (one of the few RKO titles Warner didn’t get, if I’m not mistaken)?

The rights are with Cohen, part of the same package that included Sudden Fear, The Old Dark House, etc.

MLamarre

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Lamarre
I got my hands on Gone to Earth / The Wild Heart and I just wanted to express my gratitude that his has been released. I'm a big P&P fan and I've never had a chance to see this film due to it's rarity and unavailability. I was giving up hope that anyone would ever release it, much less both versions in the same package, but here we are. Thank you!

Kino Insider, is there any chance you guys will be releasing P&P's Oh... Rosalinda!! (1955) and The Elusive Pimpernel (1950)? They're both in the same boat that Gone to Earth was, rare and unavailable. I'm not entirely sure, but I think the rights are with Studio Canal? I just saw that Rosalinda is being released in the UK by Network Releasing, but I hope you guys end up releasing it over here.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 24th!
4 Restored Classics Directed by Ida Lupino!

Not Wanted (1949)
• Brand New 4K Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Barbara Scharres, Director of Programming at Gene Siskel Film Center with Filmmaker/Historian Greg Ford
• Trailers

B&W 91 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
In Ida Lupino’s directorial debut Not Wanted, young and naive “unwed mother” Sally Forrest’s life spirals out of control after her musician beau (Leo Penn) ditches her for an out-of-town gig, despite the presence of another man (Keefe Brasselle) determined to win her heart. After leaving Warner Brothers, legendary screen actress Ida Lupino co-founded The Filmakers, an independent production company conceived as an alternative to the dominant aesthetics of Hollywood. With the low-key, intimate Not Wanted, Lupino tackled the “taboo” topic of out-of-wedlock pregnancy, immediately venturing into terrain where big-budget mainstream fantasy-spinners feared to tread. In many ways this extraordinary first directorial effort, while uncredited, already bears the stamp of Lupino’s unique vision: the remarkable empathy felt for the lead character (Sally Forrest as the dazed, traumatized young waitress thrust into the world of unwed motherhood), the hallucinatory moments (note the amazing subjective camerawork of the childbirth sequence), and the deft location shooting (as Forrest wanders through the bus stations and boarding houses of small-town America).

Never Fear (1949)
• Brand New 2K Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
• Trailers

B&W 81 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Carol Williams (Sally Forrest, Not Wanted) is a beautiful young dancer whose body, and promising career, is suddenly crippled by polio. Carol’s dance partner and fiancé, Guy Richards (Keefe Brasselle, A Place in the Sun), wants to see her through her illness, but the angry, self-pitying Carol prefers to go it alone. Her father (Herb Butterfield, Shield for Murder) takes her to the Kabat-Kaiser Institute for rehabilitation, where she meets fellow patients like Len Randall (Hugh O’Brian, Ambush Bay) on her tough road to recovery. The second feature directed by Ida Lupino (The Hitch-Hiker), who herself had been stricken with polio as an adolescent, Never Fear is a psychologically probing look at coping with chronic illness. Co-written and co-produced by Lupino and her partner Collier Young (The Bigamist) and wonderfully shot in black-and-white by Archie Stout (Fort Apache).

The Hitch-Hiker (1953)
• Brand New 2K Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Imogen Sara Smith
• Trailers

B&W 71 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Beyond its cultural significance as the only classic film noir directed by a woman (screen legend Ida Lupino), The Hitch-Hiker is perhaps better remembered as simply one of the most nightmarish motion pictures of the 1950s. Inspired by the true-life murder spree of Billy Cook, The Hitch-Hiker is the tension-laden saga of two men (Edmond O’Brien and Frank Lovejoy) on a camping trip who are held captive by a homicidal drifter (the great William Talman). He forces them, at gunpoint, to embark on a grim joyride across the Mexican desert. Renegade filmmaking at its finest, The Hitch-Hiker was independently produced, which allowed Lupino and ex-husband/producer Collier Young to work from a treatment by blacklisted writer Daniel Mainwaring, and tackle an incident that was too brutal for the major studios to even consider.

The Bigamist (1953)
• Brand New 4K Restoration from the Original Camera Negative
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• Trailers

B&W 79 Minutes 1.66:1 Not Rated
The Bigamist is an amazingly sympathetic portrait of a figure historically given very short shrift: the title character is not only a two-timer—he’s a traveling salesman as well. But, as embodied by that perpetually pressured everyman of the 1950s, Edmond O’Brien, the bigamist comes across as a victim of his own sensitivity. Caught between two complementary spouses, O’Brien’s dazed indecisiveness dominates the narrative. As always in Ida Lupino’s directorial efforts, a strong social consciousness informs all choices: Joan Fontaine is an upper-crust “lady,” reverently attached to her dying father, while Lupino herself plays a tough-talking working woman, waitressing in a cheap Chinese restaurant. But no on-screen triangle could beat the one behind the camera—The Bigamist was produced and written by Collier Young, Lupino’s longtime collaborator and recently divorced husband, whose new wife was none other than Joan Fontaine. The wonderful cast includes Edmund Gwenn, Kenneth Tobey and Jane Darwell.

Ida Lupino: Filmmaker Collection (1949-1953) Limited Edition Boxed Set (BD ONLY)
4 Newly Restored Classics Directed by Ida Lupino
Ida Lupino: Auteuress by Ronnie Scheib (80 Page Booklet) Exclusive to the Boxed Set

Ida_1.jpg

Ida_2.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Kino Insider, is there any chance you guys will be releasing P&P's Oh... Rosalinda!! (1955) and The Elusive Pimpernel (1950)? They're both in the same boat that Gone to Earth was, rare and unavailable. I'm not entirely sure, but I think the rights are with Studio Canal? I just saw that Rosalinda is being released in the UK by Network Releasing, but I hope you guys end up releasing it over here.

We would release them if we could. I'll ask the boss to see if they're available.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I've always loved the She (or other Haggard based lost queen) films, so am curious about the Sandahl Bergman version. Still, the one I wish and pray for is the wild and campy Haya Harareet version titled Journey Beneath the Desert (or Antinea) (1961). As a Ben-Hur fan, I'd love to see lovely Hara sans veil galavanting about in super revealing costumes. Wonder who has the rights to that one.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Ffolkes (1980) aka North Sea Hijack

Starring Roger Moore, James Mason, Anthony Perkins, Michael Parks, David Hedison & Jack Watson

Directed by Andrew V. McLaglen (The Devil's Brigade, The Wild Geese, The Sea Wolves).

View attachment 55273

Any further word on when we can expect this? Still looking forward to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks