What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

King of Queens season 2? (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I picked this up over a week ago...watched it last weekend...and absolutely loved it, it is becoming one of my favorite TV shows.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

With all due respect to those who have praised the picture quality, I have to disagree--or, at least, to add a caveat. The episodes do indeed look vibrant and sharp, as several reviews have noted.

But with 10 22-minute episodes crammed onto a disc (the first two; the third has five), compression has been pushed to the limits. The result is loads of aliasing and artifacts throughout episodes. Also, when there's a lot of movement on the screen, there will be an occasional jump in the image--as if a frame is missing. These are often random. Play back through a scene, and it will be gone, only to appear in a different spot. I've watched every single episode of both seasons over the past few weeks, and have seen these problems on two entirely different set-ups, on a 32-inch and 36-inch TVs. All I can think is to attribute it to poor compression--typical for much of Columbia TriStar's TV output, which cuts corners to keep the price low.

The extras are dubious. The single-episode commentary (over the Christmas episode) is very low-key, not what one would expect from star Kevin James. The featurette is a contrived bit for the DVD, just following James around as he goes from talk show to talk show to promote the series.

Having said that, the show really kicked into gear during the second season, and the episodes themselves merit a purchase. Doug and Carrie's trip with Deacon and his wife to apple country is priceless.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
being in Canada, i ordered the first two seasons on amazon.com (still cheaper than canadian online etailers - but i guess i'm taking a chance as returning defective discs would be a hassle).

i only got familiar with this show recently in syndication, and thought it was funny, so i gave it a shot. the first season started off pretty slow, and had chars i'd never seen before (sister and the italian guy) but after like 6 or 7 episodes it started to gain momentum. the second season (or at least the first disc that i've seen) is absolutely hilarious.

the video is okay, nothing special, but with sitcoms i'm just not that picky. ditto for extras. since i'm watching all these eps for the first time, i guess i don't need extra features to make this purchase worth my while.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BioProf
Recent bookmarks