What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Kenneth Branagh's HAMLET -- the ultimate, merged, when-oh-when thread (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Every few months I keep hoping something will happen.

There were rumors of a 2002 release.

Does anyone know anything?

Thanks Rob

Thanks for asking the question - this is one I would love to see on DVD. I don't know anything, but here's hoping...

--Andrew

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I kept hearing rumors last year that 2002 would be the year, but nothing yet. This is one of my most wanted films on DVD!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I could be wrong, but I could have sworn that The Digital Bits once mentioned that the studio (Warner I think--and hope!) was planning this for later this year.

Of course, I'm relying on my sometimes imperfect memory here, so don't take this as a definite.

Travis D

Second Unit
Well, I watched this for summer reading required by my school (Don't worry, I also read the thing, but I must say that the movie was much more enjoyable) and I found out that it isn't on DVD. For shame! Has there been any talk about the possibility? I want it in WIDESCREEN darnit. Plus this was shot in 70mm if I'm correct. Wish I'd seen it theatrically.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
I have the original UK VHS which is in letterboxed widescreen with the full 4 hour runtime.
This has since been withdrawn and there is only a P/S VHS edited to 2 hours available (most severe cutting of film I have ever seen :angry: what a joke)
No news of a DVD. UK rights holders are Columbia not sure who it is in US ? but they have released very few of their UK produced titles here only repackaged US films unless you look at some of the classics like Laurence of Arabia etc.

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
It's a Castle Rock film, which is controlled by Warner Brothers now. I'd like to see this title too...

Darrel Johansen

Stunt Coordinator
This was put out on Laser Disk. I almost bought it and a laser disk player (which I have never owned) just to have this one movie. Questions about when it's going to show up on DVD have been ongoing on many DVD forums since the advent of DVDs. No one has a definitive answer as of yet.

You would think that it would eventually show up on DVD. It's the only full version of Hamlet ever filmed, it's got well known actors, a beautiful production, and most of Branagh's other films have made it to DVD. I saw it in the theater and it was wonderful.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
This is at the top of my must-own list, alongside the Three Colors and Star Wars trilogies. I don't know what the hold-up is, but I wish they'd get a move on.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Branagh's Hamlet is among my most wanted DVDs. I wish Warner hurry it up, without sacrificing quality, of course.

Robert Holloway

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have any clue or idea about when this film will be released?
I think it's owned by either Warner or Columbia.
Once again I ask the same question. I say once again becuase I seem to be posting this question every six months or so for the last three years. Through 2000 it was scheduled to be released in 2001. In 2001 there were strong rumors it would hit the shelves this year.....
Very frustrating.
I realize that such modern masterpieces as Death To Smoochy, Corky Romano and Freddy Got Fingered were higher priorities. But surely Hamlet will get it's chance now the quality films have hit the shelves ;)
All the best
Rob

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
To be or not to be? That is the question.

Will we ever get this outstanding movie? PRETTY PLEASE: A SPECIAL EDITION!!!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Yup, this should definitely be on DVD. I'd sure buy it.
There were some rumours a long time back, but nothing has panned out. :frowning:

John Watson

Screenwriter
A wee bit of an extra question - does anyone know of an on-line list or link of "Shakespeare on DVD"?

I was lucky the other day to find Richard III (McKellen) on sale.

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks