What's new

JVC 5910 S-VHS Player Opinions (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Amazingly I've purchased a new VCR - the rationale being that I've also bought a digital camcorder and want a better quality system to archive videos. I was originally looking for the JVC 7800 S-VHS but have been unable to find it. I'm also not convinced that I need to be spending C$600 on a VCR. So I just picked up a model 5910 (link here ).
How does this product rate in the world of S-VHS? It will still be used primarily for time shifting, with added duties of archiving digital video. What do I give up compared to the 7800 (not in terms of features, but realized performance)?
Thanks.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jay, the 9600/9800's TBC can be a real help on original video. The JLIP connection could come in handy for exterior editing control when used with a computer. I use JLIP with an edit controller, but it's useful for non-linear editing too. Cruthfield has b-stock 9800's in their outlet for $360. I bought one recently. It looks and works perfectly with full warranty. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! Remember, actual mileage may vary....
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 3 to go!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Cruthfield has b-stock 9800's in their outlet for $360.
They now have new 9800's listed at US$399 - same with One-Call. I'm leaning towards the 7800 (or better yet the new 7900 if for no other reason then the rosewood side panels will match my CLD-99) for its price and (
blush.gif
) the fact that it's black. The silver/gold 9800 would look kind of goofy in my otherwise black rack - and I don't want a VCR to be my standout piece.
wink.gif
But practically speaking I find it hard to justify the C$600 price tag on the 9800 for my intended use. Editing of camcorder footage will be done digitally on my computer, then ultimately archived to S-VHS for viewing convenience.
Can anyone recommend on-line vendors in addition to Crutchfield and One-Call? The best prices I've seen for the 7800 and 9800 are, respectively, US$278 and US$398.
------------------
--Jay
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jay, the 9600/9800 will give you better edges on tape. The 7800 is good. The 9000 series recorders are better. I also have a 9500. I've never recorded TV with the 9500. I've only edited with it. I have the 9800 hooked up in my entertainment system presently. The anti-ghousting tuner circuit helps my very lousy cable signal. I'll have to pull it out of the system to edit with it occasionally, but it's a pleasure to use for entertainment purposes.
The top Mitsu S-machine is, I think, something akin to a 7800. It has an edit jack too. I'm don't know what it works with? It might be worth looking at.
When the analog part occurs the 9800 will do it better. In the future I see, only higher-end VHS is going to look good on digital sets. To top the performance of the 9800, you've got to go to "pro-sumer" decks like the Panasonic Proline AG-1980 or Sony SVO models. These decks can give you an extra 2 to 3 db over even a 9800.
VHS choices shrink all the time. Most of the maufacturers just want to make decks that cost $75 to $150 that will sell well at Target and Busted Buy. Panasonic hasn't made a really nice S-deck since the 4690. Look what they offer now, pitiful! With Sony it's the 1000 or the SVO's. I wonder how long Mitsu will sell VCRs? They seem so HDTV. The point is, the field is getting smaller all the time, if you want a higher performance VCR... That's all I know, I hope you find somethin' that works for you, Good luck!
------------------

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Did you try www.ecost.com . TBC/Noise Reduction did it for me. You can't beat it (7800) and with your set-up you shouldn't get anything less.
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I ended up ordering a JVC 7900 (newest model to the 7800, basically the same but a little beefier with rosewood-ish side panels that will match my CLD-99) from J&R Music for US$259. Best price I found on-line, and the only place I found with the 7900 (everyone else has the 7800, Crutchfield has the 7900 listed but not in stock). It should arrive by late next week. An unusual thing upgrading a VCR these days.
wink.gif
I liked the extra specs of the 9800 but I simply cannot, for purely aesthetic purposes, live with a shiny silver VCR in the middle of my rack, nor can I justify the cost difference.
------------------
--Jay

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jay, actually the 9800 is Chahm-pain gold. The 9800 is my third gold component. I'm sick of black. I plan to buy gold components when possible in the future. The gold finish of my 9800 matches my Pioneer LD-S9 and JVC 723. I would pick performance every time. I would of bought the 9800 in any colour, silver , black, blue, I don't care. My 9500 is silver. Oh, I have a gold Pioneer HLD-X9 coming soon too. You'll like the 7000 series though. I have a 7500. It's great for TV, but not quite as good as 9000 series decks for original video. Best wishes!
P.S.- Have you considered painting your 99 gold?
------------------

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
P.S.- Have you considered painting your 99 gold?
Not a chance. Eeeew. I don't have a problem with gold components - actually I like them very much. But it's an aesthetic reality that only one in my living room would look pretty silly. If I had a dedicated space then I would be more inclined to have such a showpiece.
------------------
--Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks