What's new

Just saw Moulin Rouge... (1 Viewer)

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
I remember when I first read about this DVD and how it was picked to be the DVD of the year from our very own website. I thought to myself what the hell kind of a pick is this? Even though I never saw the movie, I just thought it was nonsense. If I was ever wrong about anything in my life it was prejudging that film. Out of nowhere i decided to rent Moulin Rouge and watch it for the first time. All I can say is that those 2 hours had to be the best 2 hours I have spent watching a film in a LONG TIME. It was absolutely breathtaking from beginning to end. The music score, the acting, the set design, the story...everything was for a lack of a better word, Perfect.
Needless to say I quickly bought the title the very next day. So for anyone who has not seen the film yet, and i'm certain there are very few of you out there, I definitely would recommend you check it out. It is absolutely spectacular, spectacular. :D

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
I felt the same way you were when I was in theater. I left theater with tears and I felt glad that I watched the movie.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
When it came out in the theaters I had no intentions or desire to see it. Plus, at the time I disliked Nicole Kidman. I friend bought it over one night to use as a test after calibrating (with AVIA and VE) my TV. The short scene (the tango scene)that he played for me got me hooked.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I asked him to leave it and my wife and I watched it about 3 times before returning it. I then went out and bought it and have watched it several times since. I love this movie!
The acting and singing are superb, Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman really have nice voices. BTW, I am now a big fan of Nicole Kidman. Baz Lurhman is an excellent director. I now want to check out his other films.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
The exact same thing happened to me except it was a while ago. The DVD had been out for about a month and I was renting on 2 for 1 Tuesday as I always do. I found a new release and couldn't think of another to rent. I saw this sitting there and even though I had no urge to see it before, I figured what the heck, it's "free". Well, I was absolutely floored and like you, went out and bought it the next day.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Absolutly! It's no secret how I feel about this film, it's hands down THE best film I saw last year!

I wanted to see it from day 1 when I saw the first trailer for it, I just had a "feeling" about it, like my soul was secretly starving for something so romantic and grand that I didn't conciously realize it. Like my heart recognized something about it before my mind did. Corney, but I can't describe it any other way.

When I finally bought the dvd back in December and watched it for the first time, it swept me up and took me high! It was so big, romantic, and grand that during some of it, it drew tears, not tears of sadness, but of sheer excitment at the film itself and the world it created and transported me to. The songs, costumes, romance, dance sequences, all combined to form one hell of an exhilerating film experience!

By far Baz Luhrmann's greatest achievment to date! I can't wait to see what he does next!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've screened this film on my WEGA and on a friend's Toshiba 56H80. Superb experience, excellent transfer. However, owners of front-projection systems report the disc suffers from noticeable edge enhancement--which simply wasn't apparent on the two displays I've seen this DVD on.

TedD

Supporting Actor
I don't see any (edge enhancement) on my 5' x 12' screen via HTPC and a Runco DTV-991.

Ted

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I feel like I'm totally missing out on something with Moulin Rouge. After hearing how great it was, I bought it sight unseen to have a double-feature night with Hedwig And The Angry Inch (because both are musicals). While I found Hedwig to be an absolute revelation, I just didn't understand the appeal of Moulin Rouge. Everyone else at my house loved it, so I felt like the odd man out. In fact, I was so unimpressed that the B&M where I bought it actually let me return it the next day.
And yet, it's like a nagging itch that I can't scratch... How can so many people so passionately love this movie which I found to be so annoying and over-edited? I'm not trying to thread-crap here or anything -- I'm just befuddled. Maybe I should watch this movie again. Perhaps I was just disappointed because I watched it immediately after Hedwig.
Can I be the only one? :frowning:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It was in my top four of last year easy, perhaps my top three (when I get my copy of Royal Tenenbaums from Columbia House whenever they get around to shipping the the damn thing, I can decide if that should be third or forth.)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I've never seen the appeal either....BUT I need to watch it all the way through. I'm a college voice major and the parts I've seen, I was just being picky about the singing and didn't care for it. Actually, Kidman and McGregor probably do a pretty good job with the training they've had. As far as the movie as a whole, I will probably rent sometime when I have a free rental, and give it a chance. So until I watch it from beginning to end, I will hold my tongue of judgment.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I am well over 25 viewing's since I bought it on street date and that number is still climbing.
Peace Out~:D

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I remember when I was in the theater and saw the trailer for Moulin Rouge! and I thought to myself "Now, that looks horrible". So, I skipped it in the theaters and regret that alot. It's such a spectacle, it almost demands to be seen on the big screen.

Bruce

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite part of the movie is Your Song. I loved the song and I loved Ewan's voice. He is a talented singer :D

Raine Linton

Stunt Coordinator
I swore if you tied me to a chair and pinned my eyes open I would find a way to NOT watch this movie. I hate the usual premise of musicals..like...I'm gonna stab you with a knife but first let me sing and dance, then I'll be serious. BUT, after O'Brother, and Hedwig, plus all the previous comments, I'll give it a rental. I'm trusting you guys with my sanity.
Raine

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Jeremy Anderson:
I am well over 25 viewing's since I bought it on street date and that number is still climbing.
Ron, I have seen this movie 6 times since I bought it on DVD, and I know that by the end of the year, I will also be around 25 viewings. This is such a great film!

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Anybody want my copy? I bought it after reading all the gushing praise, and ever since its been covered with a nice thick covering of dust. I can honestly say that it was one of the most vile movie-watching experiences of my life. I can't stand this film.

My one word review: Annyoing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks