What's new
World Wide Stereo

Just heard a bunch of high end Cabasse speakers....WOW (1 Viewer)

NicB

Auditioning
I personally know both the head of Cabasse North America and the head sales rep...and the other day the sales rep got his new speakers in...3 Cabasse Artis Ambrose II's (L, R, and center). He's running these off a new 5 channel Butler tube amp. He also got a new 2 channel Butler tube amp that he bridged into one channel for his Cabasse 55ND subwoofer (20 2/3 inches!) that he had a custom box built for (Roman Audio did that bit for him). All I can say is WOW. The Ambrose II's sound amazing...espicially on dialouge. I don't know how many Cabasse dealers are around that actually have Artis stuff on display, but if you're near one, you need to go listen just for the experience. The (almost) 21" sub was even more impressive...I expected it to be really loud and slow, as are most big subwoofers, espicially since it isn't servo controlled. Boy was I suprised. That thing is the cleanest sounding subwoofer I've EVER heard...its speed was amazing.

Anyway, I just thought I'd let everyone know about this stuff since there doesn't seem to be much about Cabasse out there yet. I've been stuck on Cabasse ever since I heard the Ki speakers of which I'm getting a pair of....can't wait!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
"I expected it to be really loud and slow, as are most big subwoofers"

Hmmm, You must be looking at garbage subs.. Near as I can
figgure slow is as slow does.. If it's playing a 20Hz tone
it can't be any slower or faster and still be a 20Hz tone
now can it?

Good subs are accurate reguardless of size.

And I agree Cabasse makes some beautiful speakers and I
particularly like thier coaxial approach on the high end
lines.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
"Near as I can figgure slow is as slow does.. If it's playing a 20Hz tone it can't be any slower or faster and still be a 20Hz tone now can it?"

Yeah..but then hit that 20hz tone in rapid succession, that is a good test if a sub can keep up. That is what people mean by a "fast" sub. Many subs can not keep up, and you can tell that the "beat" is behind. Not a lot of music can exploit this...but there is some.

NicB

Auditioning
One of the things that impressed me about the 55ND (or Vesuvius as they call the 55ND in its enclosure) was the lightsabre fight towards the end of SW Episode 2. Those low frequency sweeps were noticably more accurate than I'd ever heard before. Another thing that it did VERY impressively was the depth charges in U571. You havn't heard the depth charges until you hear the Vesuvius reproduce them. Another neat thing the Ambrose II's did that I had never been able to pick up on before...in the opening scene of U571 when the Germans are diving and they go all quiet, you can actually hear the destroyer passing across above them. Pretty neat.

And about my comment about the Vesuvius being 'fast', I was in fact referring to its ability to start and stop, not how fast it oscilates (duh).

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Any sub's transient response will be a factor of the driver
quality, the enclosure type and the tuning of the enclosure.

I understand it's hard to know good bass untill you have
heard it.. Thankfully I have great bass.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
"Any sub's transient response will be a factor of the driver quality, the enclosure type and the tuning of the enclosure."

Right...the design of the sub dictates its performance.

So what NicB is saying, the transient response is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks