What's new

Hardware Review Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.1 Speaker System Review (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If all goes to plan, today could be the big "plug the speakers in" day. Just wanted to send my thanks again to everyone here who offered their help and advice with getting the speakers and receivers and proper wires!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
If all goes to plan, today could be the big "plug the speakers in" day. Just wanted to send my thanks again to everyone here who offered their help and advice with getting the speakers and receivers and proper wires!
I don't hear anything...

;)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mike Frezon said:
I don't hear anything...

;)
Step a little closer...

I just finished wiring everything together, and turned it on for the first time about half an hour ago. Speaker placement isn't final. Needed to get everything out of the box and a rough idea of how much space it all takes up, figure out about where I want things, so that when my girlfriend and I do the Ikea trip, we can get the right things for everything to sit on. So I haven't run Audyssey yet, I haven't even adjusted any of the settings or fiddled with a single dial. But I couldn't resist a sneak peak... I wanted to put on stuff I'm more familiar with, so I ran the first five minutes of "Star Trek Into Darkness", the first couple songs off the "Billy Joel - Live At Shea Stadium" Blu-ray, and now I'm listening to the vinyl of The White Stripes "Under Great White Northern Lights" record.... so far, it's great! The record player sounds a little off, but it's been forever since the needle was changed, so I probably need to do that, and am not too worried. The Blu-rays sounded great. Even more impressive to me was how good it sounded at a low volume, I wanted to see how low it needed to be so you couldn't hear it from the bedroom with the doors closed, and mission accomplished -- sounds great for nighttime listening, which is important.

Will spend a bit more time tomorrow actually reading all the fine print in the manuals and figuring out what to set the various settings at.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
Step a little closer...

I just finished wiring everything together, and turned it on for the first time about half an hour ago.

Even more impressive to me was how good it sounded at a low volume, I wanted to see how low it needed to be so you couldn't hear it from the bedroom with the doors closed, and mission accomplished -- sounds great for nighttime listening, which is important.

Will spend a bit more time tomorrow actually reading all the fine print in the manuals and figuring out what to set the various settings at.
Ah...now it makes sense. I expected you'd have them cranked and I'd hear the White Stripes wafting through my open windows.

:biggrin:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Might've just been the WS record. I just put on Tegan and Sara's latest album which I picked up at their concert in February 2013 and haven't been able to play since I got it... and it sounds great! It's at least equal to the 320kps rip I did of the CD that I've been listening to since last year. I'm a very happy camper right now. And I know I'm just at the beginning here.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've noticed that all of the Blu-rays I've tried seem to be playing ever so slightly out of sync... at the moment, it's set up playing with a PS3 going through the Onkyo... tried both bitstreaming the audio and letting the player decode, and it doesn't seem to make a difference either way.

Shot in the dark, but any ideas?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Josh Steinberg said:
I've noticed that all of the Blu-rays I've tried seem to be playing ever so slightly out of sync... at the moment, it's set up playing with a PS3 going through the Onkyo... tried both bitstreaming the audio and letting the player decode, and it doesn't seem to make a difference either way.Shot in the dark, but any ideas?
LCD TV?Turn all the "I need help delivering a decent picture" gizmos off.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
schan1269 said:
LCD TV?Turn all the "I need help delivering a decent picture" gizmos off.
LG Plasma actually. I think everything is set for as direct a connection as possible, but will double check. Thanks!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In briefly checking the settings on the receiver, I noticed one called "Lip Sync Adjustment" and it was turned "on" by default. When I turned it off, it appeared to be better -- but by that point I had watched the same clip so many times I was losing my sense of it... so will take another look when I get home today. Thanks guys!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Oh... any suggestions for what frequency settings on the AVR to use for the speakers? Apparently on the receiver I can set them different for the fronts, center, and surrounds.. of course, this all might as well be in a foreign language for me. I think the default was 100hz.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks Wayne and John! Looking forward to trying that when I get home later.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So turning the "lip sync adjustment" to "off" (it was set to "on" out of the box with the AVR), seems to have solved the sync issue. I'm guessing the AVR was compensating for an issue that wasn't there.

Set the speakers to 80hz, and it sounds good to me (I think it came set at 100hz out of the box). The Audyssey recommended 40hz, but I figured I'd try it at 80hz for a little bit before trying their setting.

It's a little surprising to me how things seem "loud" without actually being as loud as they seem... I'm watching "Star Trek" (2009), and I thought for sure I was being too loud... walked into the other room, closed the door, couldn't hear a thing. Pleasant listening experience in the room, not obnoxious outside the room... that's about as close to magic as I've ever experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks