What's new

Just getting started (1 Viewer)

accairo

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Hi,
I am just getting into the home theatre game and I am trying to hook my system up with mid to high end stuff but I am not very knowledgeable about how to go about it.

Here is what I know I am getting:
TV - Samsung 50" 1080 DLP (HL-S5087W)
DVD - Samsung "upconverting" DVD (DVD-HD860)

Here is what I want to get:
5.1 surround sound system
Receiver to connect my DVD and speakers to

I have an old-ish Sony receiver but I have heard that I cannot use this with my new system because it will not "upconvert" to HD or 1080p. I hear it needs HDMI connections, etc.

My question are:
1) is this true about needing a new receiver
2) If so, how do I go about getting a receiver that will be compatible with my new TV technology. Do i just need a receiver with HDMI technology?

thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hey Andrew. Welcome to HTF!

No - you do not need a new receiver.

You only need a new receiver if:

- You have 2 or more HDMI sources
- You plan to run the video and audio through the receiver so your Mom can use it.

Most of us follow this guideline:

- Video (Component or DVI or HDMI) straight to the TV
- Audio to the receiver

Here is the way this works:

You simply watch television or even DVD's with the TV speakers. Both the video and audio will flow through the HDMI cable.

But you also send the 5.1 signal to your receiver. When you are ready to do more serious movie/tv watching, you turn down the TV volume and fire up the receiver.

Thats it.

It's a bit more 'remote juggling', but easy. (My daughters learned it in about 2 days).

Hope this helps.

accairo

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks Bob! This definitely helps.

So I will plug my DVD player into my TV via HDMI cable. Plug my surround sound into my receiver and my receiver into my tv.

Couple more questions:
Is there a particular kind of cable (monster) I need to connect my receiver to my TV?

Do I need to connect anything from the DVD player into the receiver to ensure it will play surround sound or is this all taken care of through the TV-to-receiver connection?

When I get the cable guy over to install my HD/DVR box do I need to tell them anything specific about my connection or will it connect, as before, into the TV.

thanks in advance to all for advice

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would skip the Samsung and get one of the Oppo DVD players. www.oppodigital.com

DO NOT buy Monster cables. Try someplace good like www.bluejeanscable.com High quality and no BS.

For surround, you don't need a connection between your TV and receiver at all. Just a digital connection from your cable box and your DVD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks