What's new

Just found my biggest pet peeve (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Those who own them would probably call me an ignoramus, but hell, we were doing all right ten years ago without them, and the few truly legitimate uses for them (reporting criminal acts, calling for help when broken down on the road) have given way to millions of completely intrusive and annoying calls made in public venues which could easily have been made privately using traditional phone call methods, or not at all.
Exactly when was it decided that cell phones should be used only for emergencies or important calls? Please enlighten me on that one.

--
H

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
It's sad that many people no longer allow themselves any free time to be away from the daily grind of life.

Cell-phones, lap-tops, pagers, text messaging, SUVs with built in dvd players for the kiddies, shopping carts with coffee cup holders.... where does it all end?

Technology should allow us to have more free time than ever before, yet more and more people seem to be tightly wound as if their whole life is running on a past-due deadline. It's kind of like no matter where people are they now feel like they are either still at work or home because they bring it with them everywhere.

A few weeks ago I was in the restroom at BestBuy and I could hear a guy in one of the toilet stalls with his cellphone discussing work plans of some sort. I'm sorry but when somebody cannot even allow themselves 3 minutes to take a dump in peace and relaxation something has gone horribly wrong :frowning:

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
So, Seth (if your post was serious), what would you have done in the years before cell phones were available? Something that would not have annoyed or disrupted other people, I would guess.
What did business people do before automation by technology? Lose money and business, I suppose.

Kevin-M

Agent
It's not enough to have a cell phone, it's like when someone has one they have to be using it constantly to justify its purchase.

I've heard SO many people at work or on the streets making the most inane calls:

"Just wanted to call to see what time it was on our clock radio."

"Hey, is it cloudy at home too?"

"Hey, I'm gonna call you later so I'd thought I'd call now to make sure you'd be home later."

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
I've heard SO many people at work or on the streets making the most inane calls
Like the call I heard while out to dinner the other night where the caller gave a report of her meal which went something like this:

'Just a cheeseburger and fries. They gave pickels and cole slaw and brought a basket of bread before dinner. The bread was good. But the bun the burger was on was stale so I used the bread from the basket for a bun. I ordered cheddar cheese but I think I got American cheese. It's hard to tell because they're both orange. It was good overall and I'm about to have coffee. See you later.'.

Thank God for cell phones. How else could someone be able to give a real time report on their dinner? Can't use a pay phone for that you know, you could miss something important like the coffee refill. :rolleyes

Devin U

Second Unit
I know of at least one resturant in Phoenix (Durant's) that will throw you out for using a cell phone in the resturant. A friend of my cousin's got booted out there. I think I heard they also installed one of those scramblers taht make sending and recieving calls almost impossible. Bet it wont be long till more of these scramblers in resturants, bars, and movie theaters.

ToddR

Agent
Actually, those scramblers that you referred to are illegal. The wireless companies have paid for the right to use those airwaves, and jamming their signals is not allowed. Besides, what if a true emergency call was blocked by the scrambler?

Kevin-M

Agent
I know several movie theatres that use signal scramblers, and the local law enforcement looks the other way. Sure, the cell providers may have payed to broadcast those signals, but when their customers abuse their phone privelages and bother others, then sometimes you have to say the hell with it and screw "the law".

And if there was an emergency, in 90% of places you'd be no more than 20 feet from a phone so a cell phone is hardly that much of an advantage. And the places where a cell might be the only option to contact emergency services, well, it's highly unlikely there'd be any scramblers in those areas.

ToddR

Agent
Kevin,

I see that you are in Vancouver. I don't know what the Canadian laws are, but the scramblers are illegal in the US. And, if someone was driving by the movie theater and their call was cut off by the scrambler (there is no way they can contain the jamming to just inside the theater at all times), then the owner of that scrambler would be responsible for any damages caused. Not sure it is worth the risk for the theater. I agree that people using phones in the movies is annoying, but scrambling is not the answer.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

I disagree. The law is the law. Theaters should simply have a strict policy that if a cell phone goes during a movie, the owner will be thrown out and banned for a period of time. It's no different than someone just being a jerk in general and talking very loudly during a film, getting up constantly to buy more food, or snoring. (If you think that cell phones are bad, people being as*holes in general are much worse. When I saw Shadow of a Vampire, there was this guy who snored incredibly loudly throughout the entire film. People kept waking him up and would promptly fall back asleep. The theater wasn't very large, so no matter where you were, you could hear him. He pretty much ruined the film. Penn from "Penn & Teller" was in the audience - just a random aside)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
A theory: Many people use cell phones in order to feel important ("If I am called while in a public venue, this will make those who observe me realize I am important to someone, and that the person who called me needs me right NOW...")
In a strange way, I think like this too.

I was at a crowded McDonalds and this guy was sitting alone on his cell phone. There were a few other couples around me having the same 'meaningless' conversation as the guy on the phone, but for some reason, the guy on the phone irked me. He wasn't louder than anyone else or bugging me more than anyone else, I guess it was just the fact that he was using his cell phone...

Not that I thought the guy was trying to be "cool" by using his phone, but have to agree with others in the fact that cell phones are more for emergency calls and business deals, etc. I mean, was it ABSOLUTELY necessary to have such a 'meaningless' conversation on his cell phone?

The fact that we are using them as if we are in our living rooms is what irks me. If you are going to go to a restaurant to talk, then bring the person along with you. I don't mind back and forth banter (no matter how meaningless it is) when you are physically with a person, but once you start having the same inane convesation with someone on a cell phone, then you've gone into the category of "Is it absolutely necessary to use all of this technology for such a stupid conversation?".

People on cell phones just seem rude to me no matter what the situation is. I've had a cell phone for over 10 years now and I've probably used it less (in those 10 years) than most people have in 1 year :frowning:

Kevin-M

Agent
The law may be the law, but police could give two shits whether someone is jamming cell signals or stealing satellite signals or some such other nonsense. The reason several policeman I know turn their backs on this sort of blue-collar crime is that, one, they're people too and they know what it is to be annoyed while watching a movie or eating dinner , and two, as I stated above, this kind of stuff is too miniscule and frankly ridiculous to even look into.

If jamming a cell signal in a theatre can keep things quiet, and the law doesn't view it as worthy of their time, then fine by me. Too bad if Joe Six-Pack loses his signal out on the street. Life goes on.......

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
It seems that this type of thread gets started every few months or so. I remember one many months ago that got very heated when the subject of jamming signals inside a theater was discussed.

There were those who were for it because they wanted to try to limit the possible things that could interrupt the movie going experience and then there were those who were against it because it would be an inconvenience for them not to be able to get a call while in the theater. I’m not certain if that thread is still available but I would give it a search as the arguments against jamming and the logic they used were interesting to say the least.

As for taking a call while at the table in a restaurant, what can I say other then there are many rude and ill-mannered people in the world. Of course this is nothing any of you already didn't know since this fact is as old as time itself.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
It comes down to freedom. The theater can throw me out if my phone rings, but what of people on call for work? are they not free to leave their phone on vibrate in case they need to be contacted? I can think of many pilot friends that might object to this.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
but what of people on call for work?
That's why they invented pagers. If you are "on call" for work, then you shouldn't be at the moives :D

No, seriously, I don't mind if people have their cell phones on for work or emergencies, but at least leave the theater.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Is it the cell phone that makes everyone upset, or the user of the cell phone? There will always be assholes out there annoying the crap out of everyone else. If it wasn’t for the cell phone I'm sure the same assholes would annoy the general public with some other behavior.

Cell phones don’t annoy people, assholes annoy people.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I support the non-use of cell phones at any place where noise is prohibited (ie, the movies, the library, classrooms, etc...), but to get mad at people having a conversation on a cell phone in public... who cares? Who are you to say that a persons conversation is legitimate or not? So what if someone called to describe dinner? Maybe they just wanted to hear each others voice? Is it so different if 2 people together are having a conversation? Maybe it irritates some of you eves droppers since you can not hear what the other is saying?

Maybe we should only use computers for real emergencies, like posting a complaint on a public forum about the widespread abuse of cell phone use? :rolleyes

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I'm very important. Lots of people call me, needing my help, with tips for me. I work in a 24-7 industry. I don't get days off, I don't get vacations, and I rarely get the chance to leave town.

But you know what? I turn my phone on silent when I'm in public. It vibrates, I look at the name, and if it is a flagged call, meaning the caller is very important, I will discretely excuse myself to take the call. Otherwise I send it to voicemail and check the message when I get the chance.

Those people that annoy me are the ones, like SUV drivers, who use the cell phone (or SUV) as a status symbol, who make themselves a spectacle while using their toy. Is it a convenience? Absolutely. It's been a lifesaver for me, revolutionized how I do business.

But nothing I'm saying on the phone needs to be heard by anyone else, so I go someplace quiet so I can hear them, and they me. I don't shout in restaurants, I don't talk while I'm driving. It can wait.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> I don't mind back and forth banter (no matter how meaningless it is) when you are physically with a person, but once you start having the same inane convesation with someone on a cell phone, then you've gone into the category of "Is it absolutely necessary to use all of this technology for such a stupid conversation?".

Why is the content of someone else's conversation any of your business? :frowning:

I think a good general rule is that if you're in a place where it's appropriate to have a conversation out loud (the street, in a store, most restaurants, etc.), then there's nothing wrong with using a cell phone in those places. What's the difference between someone else talking out loud to another person or talking into a phone, if you're not part of the conversation?

> If you are going to go to a restaurant to talk, then bring the person along with you.

The telephone was invented so you don't have to be in the same place as the person you're talking to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks