Just found my biggest pet peeve

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott L, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Going out to dinner with people and they break out the cell phone at the table. [​IMG] It's just silly. A group of us, about 8, went to eat at Chilis. We were all talking in the car and in the restaurant lobby but when we sit down a couple pull out their phone and call up their friends/gf's. One guy even left early and another left the table for a good 5min.

What's the point? Just to clarify only 3 people were doing this and they are just acquaintances, plus my brother. My real friends sat and chatted with me/each other before the meal arrived. I think it's really sad.. put your *%$^@(% phone away!!

2. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

I ahte this too, geez some people act as though they'd die without it!!!!!!

If I owned a restaraunt I'd put a no phone policy in place,also people who wear baseball caps in fancy restaraunts make me mad too. [​IMG]

3. James~P

James~P Stunt Coordinator

i dont mind hats, they dont make noise!

cell phones in general i think have gotten WAY out of hand.

is it really so terrible to be out of contact for an hour or two?

i see this woman driving her SUV out of her DRIVEWAY on the cellphone!

YOU LEFT YOUR HOUSE 3 MINUTES AGO!! NARGH!

resterants are where you're supposed to go to socialize and relax with a choice set of people.

i'd rather them invite total strangers than chitchat on the cell phone during dinner.

4. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I HATE cellphones. People use them WAY too often, and it annoys the hell out of me. When I'm talking to someone, I want their full attention, but NO, they get a phone call right in the middle of a conversation, and then last on the phone for hours! [​IMG] It's completely disrespectful! [​IMG]

5. James~P

i'm going on 16 years old now and my parents have been offering me one, but i keep refusing.

i tell them that when i start driving, i'll buy one of those little phones that comes with a set amount of minutes and keep the damn thing in the glove compartment incase i break down.. but otherwise, no cell phone for me.

6. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

7. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

I agree, I think it's rude to break one out at a table in a restaurant. At a bar or similar setting, no problem. But at dinner, no. I leave mine in the car when I go in to eat, and if someone pulls it out while we are at the table, don't think I won't say something.[​IMG]

8. James~P

Patrick, if my comment about a woman driving down a driveway on a phone is "offensive" you are either

a) a feminist extremist

or

b) too sensitive.

you pick.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Patrick great points.. my old bosses at my construction job would use them ALL the time even when about 30 feet away from each other. It's just handy to have around and beats yelling/traveling to ask a question.

It just gets annoying when people overuse them for chit-chat. Another bad example is when I was in the quiet computer lab at my college. Some guy comes in, gets on his phone and talks LOUDLY as if he were in the city streets. Everyone hears his conversation and it really sounded very unimportant, he could have left the room for the good 1 min he was on the phone. It breaks my concentration and makes me lose focus.

By all means use your cellphone to death, just do it where it won't bother anyone.

10. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

11. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    A theory: Many people use cell phones in order to feel important ("If I am called while in a public venue, this will make those who observe me realize I am important to someone, and that the person who called me needs me right NOW...") Aside from being as dangerous as trying to eat while driving, cell-phone use in cars while actually on the road is totally unnecessary except in an emergency (when the car will most likely be pulled off to the side anyway). I despise cell phones. It has made necessary the erecting of thousands of ugly, environment-unfriendly towers whose sole purpose is to perpertuate the growth of this redundant technology. Those who own them would probably call me an ignoramus, but hell, we were doing all right ten years ago without them, and the few truly legitimate uses for them (reporting criminal acts, calling for help when broken down on the road) have given way to millions of completely intrusive and annoying calls made in public venues which could easily have been made privately using traditional phone call methods, or not at all.

12. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Cell phones certainly are a technological advance in communications but............ there's always those who abuse (if that is a good word for it).....
    Being a contractor, I have to have to communication. Get on it, get your thing said, and get off.
    Just look around you though and you'll note that 90% of the people you see driving with a CP in their ear are women........ It just seems that women have a LOT more to say I guess...Then you see the teeny boppers with their CP talking their trash ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE....Now that's gaining in popularity for a pet peeve.

13. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

Maybe cell phones are replacing the cigarette as a public annoyance. Should people who wish to make a cell phone call, pull out there phone like a pac of smokes? "Mind if I cell?" "Anyone else care to cell?" Can we imagine "No Cell Phones Allowed" Signs hanging in public places.

14. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

15. david stark

david stark Second Unit

the most annoying time I've had, well there's been a couple actually. The first one was watching thirteen days in the cinema and someone had a phone call. ok so i've forgotten to turn mine off once as well, but rather than quickly turn it off they answer it and have a conversation.

the second was on the Heathrow express train from Heathrow into London. I had specifically got on one of the designated quiet carriages, which has notices on the door as you get on stating stuff like no mobile phones etc. So of course one twat gets on, and 5 minutes out of Heathrow rings someone with the obligatory "just on the Heathrow express, I'll be back in an hour..."

16. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Eh, I've had important calls that I've received and needed to make at the dinner table.

17. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    So, Seth (if your post was serious), what would you have done in the years before cell phones were available? Something that would not have annoyed or disrupted other people, I would guess.

18. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

19. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

I probably would not have gone out to dinner. The beauty of cell phones is if someone needs me, I can always be reached.

OR

I would have left the table and spent most of the dinner sitting next to the pay phone.

In a year or two people will move on to complaining about people who respond to emails on their Blackberry while at dinner.

20. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter