What's new

Just another upgrade story (1 Viewer)

Let me just say wow! My RCA receiver was dying so I decided to go receiver shopping. I ended up with more then I expected and am quite pleased. I moved from DD radio shack RCA, to a Onkyo 5 dvd receiver with DTS and DPL2 and component switching. Well, with that my 27" RCA s-video just would not do, so I was still constrained by my entertainment center, so I bought a Samsung 27" dynaflat tv, with component inputs and vertical compression. Now I had been playing dvds with my playstation 2, and the jump to progressive scan dvd, was amazing. I calibrated with video essentials and an spl meter, and I am amazed at some of the sounds and visuals I was missing before.

Before
RCA 27" with s-video input (convex screen)
RCA 350w receiver with DD (no dts)
Playstation 2 as DVD player via optical cable and s-video

After
Samsung DynaFlat TV TXN2734 (component) link
Onkyo DR-C500 (DTS, DD, DPL2) link

Now what is cool about this setup, VHS even looks sooooo much better. So I trimmed the amount of components on the shelf and improved overall experience. I read this forum every day and all the other stories are fun to read, so here is mine. Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated. :)

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
I also had a 350w RCA DD receiver. Came with a HTiB when I got started with this. I recently (last week)went out and purchased an Onkyo TX-SR601, witch I have fallen in love with! DTS,PL2,Neo:6, oh yeah! Now my speakers finally get some loving power pushing them and I actually hear things I honestly didn't before. Best purchase (in HT) I have made to this point.

The first thing I did with my old HTiB, was replace the speakers, with some nicer ones, RCA still, but alot better then the stock ones. Just finished watching Pirates of the Caribbean and the fourth time around was amazing, sounds truly are much better(DTS), and with DPL2, tv is so much better. Now the tv is progressive, so when I use the dvd progressive, the image becomes way too soft, just so cool to have such a nice tv and dvd player....I kept doing A/B comparisons all night on image quality. Now I want to stop by the local cable company and look at upgrading my stb to something with component cables, and maybe my ps2 and xbox as well.

Nothing like having a receiver with a true power rating to all the channels, and a screen with widescreen correction for added resolution. Spent the night customizing my entertainment center to fit everything, had to remove some of the facia and drill some holes to accomodate side jacks on the tv, but all worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks