What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ - The Magnificent Seven -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Shout, via there special event "Select" label is releasing John Sturges 1960 The Magnificent Seven, and while it's yet another of those Eastman films of the era that doesn't exactly cry out for 4k UHD, it sure does look purty.

I'd call it almost perfect. I'm seeing some oddities, but we'll keep in mind that the Eastman Color elements are now 62 years-old. I'm presuming that this was shot on an early run of the new 5250 stock, which has better dye fade characteristics, but (beyond printer function dupes) there could be any myriad of damage necessitated dupes cut in over the decades.

The opening credit sequence seems just a bit dark, but most folks won't notice that. For the body of the film, things are generally beautiful, with not a problem in sight.

Superb dirt clean-up and stabilization.

Grain structure is mercifully natural, and shadow detail is generally very pleasing, Keep in mind that the film was shot on location, so the camera crew alongside DP Charles Lang were probably in constant motion.

The cast - Yul Brunner, Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson et al are wonderful.

And then there's the score by Elmer Bernstein, with one of the best known themes in all of filmdom.

The other huge player here would be Walter Mirisch, an icon who is fortunately still with us at 101. To me, he's a producer's producer. If there's any question about what that means, here's a shot list of some of his accomplishments:

It appears that his 34th film (as exec producer) was Invasion of the Body
Snatchers in 1956. His 39th in the same role was Friendly Persuasion. Coming in at around the 40th is The Magnificent Seven.

Leaving out the numbers, we can add West Side Story, The Children's Hour, a couple of Elvis films, The Great Escape, The Pink Panther, A Shot in the Dark, The Russians are Coming..., Hawaii, How to Succeed..., In the Heat of the Night, The Thomas Crown Affair, Fiddler on the Roof...

You get it.

Audio in DTS-HD MA 5.1 is works nicely, especially as it spreads the music across the field.

This is another of those films that those going in unaware will be highly rewarded.

As part of Shout's Select label, you'll also get the requisite extras, which until now have been the turf of Criterion. Most will be found on the Blu-ray disc, with the 4k only carrying commentaries. This leaves more room for data throughput of the OCN scan.

In short, this is a big deal, and whether the film needs 4k or not is a moot point. We're getting the best possible, and Shout isn't holding back on the cost of the extra disc.

Image – 4.8 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Upgrade from old Blu-ray - Absolutely

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Audio in DTS-HD MA 5.1 is works nicely, especially as it spreads the music across the field.
I have never seen this film.
By the way, it would be nice if they included the original mono audio. I wonder if they have added any effects and altered it, to make it a 5.1.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Great to see Shout is keeping up quality on their UHDs! Only question I have is why nobody ever thought to remake this as a samurai film.
Can‘t imagine a need. I believe Japanese subs are available on the most recent re-make. That’s close.

A bit akin to the concept of making westerns in Italy. Tried once. No success.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thanks for the review Mr H! Guess there is life still in physical media, what a stunning film this is and wholly Moley Brynner actually made a fine Western star!

Attachments

• 1675531900589.png
    1675531900589.png
    291 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I've been eagerly anticipating this release since it was first announced. And crossing my fingers that this would be a good Shout! release instead of a disappointing Shout! release.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Can‘t imagine a need. I believe Japanese subs are available on the most recent re-make. That’s close.

A bit akin to the concept of making westerns in Italy. Tried once. No success.
I might have missed something here. My question please is : the standard bluray included with the 4K UHD ..has this standard bluray had any work performed on it or is it the same as already out ???

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I might have missed something here. My question please is : the standard bluray included with the 4K UHD ..has this standard bluray had any work performed on it or is it the same as already out ???
If you follow the link Crawdaddy gave earlier in this thread you’ll find your answer.

Ralph P.

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,

Thanks Robert! I enjoyed this one as well and couldn't agree more with your sentiments. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks