What's new

Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
This one's for you, Jack Briggs. :)
I don't know if you like Pink Floyd or not, but this is a good one. Pick up a copy of 'Meddle'. On this album is a very long composition called 'Echoes.' Put 2001 into the DVD player and sychronize the very first note of 'Echoes' the very second the words 'Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite' appear on the screen. Kick back and enjoy a very metaphysical experience.:star:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Are, erm, "spiritual supplements/consumables" required for enjoying the final act of this film in such a way? :)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
You know, I've always wanted to try this...and the Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz thing.
BUT, I have my DVD player and my CD player going through my Denon amp. So, if I switch it to CD , I lose the DVD video. If I switch it to DVD, I lose the CD audio.
:frowning:

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Jack, it's very enjoyable even when you're sober:) . And when Bowman lands in the hotel room, the music is absolutely perfect and surreal.:emoji_thumbsup:
The Dark Side/Wizard of Oz thing is dead on! BTW, long ago I found a connection with Dark Side and Star Wars:ANH as well, if anyone wants to hear what it is....

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
The WOO/DSOTM thing is cool. But, it seems to me, that any Floyd would work with the last act of 2001.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hell, a lot of Tangerine Dream would work well with Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite!:)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Turner Classic Movies once aired The Wizard of Oz with The Dark Side of the Moon as the secondary audio program.

It actually DID sync up good.

Matthew Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Back in the mid-80s, the USA Network program "Night Flight" had an episode with a bunch of "cult classic" clips - old bloopers, z-movie trailers, the Porky Pig "son of a b-b-b-b-gun" clip... a fun hour of tv, lemme tell you.

The absolute highlight for me was Melies' "A Trip to the Moon" - a silent film, of course - with PF's performance of Echoes from Pink Floyd in Pompeii played over it. It's unbelievable, and much closer synced than the Wizard of Oz Side of the Moon was, I thought. One of the coolest things I've ever seen. I still have the video tape, but I accidentally erased the first ten seconds of it (still beating my head against the wall over that). Was sure to pull that damned tab off the tape thereafter, and learned me a valuable lesson.

Anyways, anyone else ever see this? It's cool, did I mention that?

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Robert Fripp and Brian Eno's recording INDEX OF METALS from the Evening Star CD is fairly disturbing when played while watching Murnau's NOSFERATU.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
More about Nosferatu...

I've heard that you could edit tracks from scores by Bernard Herrmann (Hitchcock scores) and create a really good orchestral score from that.

I'm positive that the bulk of Vertigo's score would fit perfectly.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I made my own track for Nosferatu which used TD's Zeit & Sorcerer soundtrack as well as tracks from Wendy Carlos, Jerry Goldsmith, John Carpenter, Debussy, Ligeti & Ennio Morricone.
I made it using the highest MP3 bit-rate, burned onto a CD-R and play it using an APEX DVD player (bought for that reason, MP3 playback) and I pipe it through my receiver's Tape in/out, that way I don't loose the video feed from my Yamaha DVD.
I also made my own soundtrack for Metropolis.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks