1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone having issues with Sony UBP-X700?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Brian Husar, Jan 11, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Brian Husar

Brian Husar Second Unit

This is my second Sony. I finally got a 4K player last year and got the Sony UBP-UX80, and certain titles kept pausing and/or tiling. Got some great advice here to turn off Auto Home Network Access and remote start and software update. Worked fine after that, except on Ready Player One. Flash forward to December, and a new firmware update which caused the player to power off and on at random. We bought a new one at Best Buy, we were leaning towards a Samsung with Dolby Vision, the seller who was a "Sony Expert" per his name tag, got us to go with the Sony UBP-X700 which also has Dolby Vision. Same thing has now happened, and I have everything turned off as well as Quick Start, and that's what the Sony rep told me to do when I contacted them. NOTE: This is not with every disc, it seems like it's primarily 4K discs that are from Warner Brothers, or Disney. Just got done watching my second viewing of 2001 and both times it pauses and freezes when HAL is being shut down, and during the long pan of the planets and the monolith during the Jupiter and Beyond The Infinite sequence. Anyone having issues like this? The discs are totally clean and I have the right high speed HDMI cable etc. Are all players like this? It's really starting to put me off 4K UHD, but I have no issues with discs from Paramount, Universal, Lionsgate, or Sony Pictures Home Video. HELP PLEASE!!!

2. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    First things first - the Samsung player you were looking at does not have Dolby Vision, despite what a sales rep or "expert" may have told you.

Sony players are known for having lockup and freezing issues. Trust me, I have two of the X800 models, and both have been replaced by Sony, yet still have occasional issues. I have found that unplugging the unit from time to time helps to flush the system, but lockups are still likely to occur. Despite what the phone reps say, it is a known issue and Sony really is working on it. If you purchased a protection plan n the unit at Best Buy, I would stick it out until their newer model comes out (supposedly to replace the X800) and trade it in for that newer model, or possibly an LG if you need Dolby Vision. Or splurge a bit more and upgrade to a Panasonic.

Brian Husar likes this.
  3. Brian Husar

Brian Husar Second Unit

Thanks Todd. The Best Buy rep actually recommended the Sony. So it sounds like a known issue and Sony is trying to fix it.

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    I bought my x700 back in mid-Dec and haven't watched that many 4K discs yet, but only times I've had that issue (so far) is if the disc is not perfectly clean -- seems like 4K discs come w/ smudges and such (or are simply more problematic w/ such) much more often than BDs... so I usually check before playback.

And yes, I've updated the firmware/software maybe 3 or 4 times so far -- seems like most of them have more to do w/ streaming app updates than disc playback.

Haven't gotten around to trying any Warner 4K discs so far. I'll give them a try this week (before my return period runs out), including my copy of 2001...

_Man_