What's new

Jesus of Montreal aspect ratio (1 Viewer)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter

Not that that would be any better, instead of cutting image, we're seeing image we aren't supposed to see.

I've been looking forward to this too, maybe some year....:thumbsdown:

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
I've never seen a DVD release botched in so many countries.... the Canadian one is full screen with no subtitles, the UK edition advertises 16x9 widescreen but turns out to be P&S... Australian version is also P&S. Now, of course the American DVD which was previously advertised as 16x9 now turns out to be a Fool Screen release. When will someone get it right???

It also saddens me that here in Canada, the distributors have no respect for any films made here. Surely, you'd think a Canadian distributor would've come up with a big special edition for "Jesus of Montreal", considering that it WAS nominated for an Academy Award, and is considered among the best of Canadian films. This reminds me of that crappy dvd of "Le Confessionnal", another great Canadian movie, that Alliance put out, and that one was actually meant to be "full screen". :thumbsdown:

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've seen the back cover for this DVD on dvdlister.com and it says the aspect ratio is "4x3". There's also the Max Films logo on the back, which means they used their transfer. I have no idea why they couldn't do their own. I could understand them using Seville's transfer for "Decline of the American Empire" as it was really good, but they should've known that a P&S transfer is a no-no... :thumbsdown:

DeeF

Screenwriter
I've bought the disk. It's pan-and-scan, full screen.

And it looks perfectly terrible, full of artifacts. It looks like a VHS copy.

It is one of my favorite movies, and this makes me so sad.

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for letting us know, DeeF. It's very disappointing indeed. I wonder if anybody still has the email for that Koch Lorber guy whom was discussing the La Dolce Vita dvd on DVDTalk ( i think it was) with the members. I thought this company was going to focus on making high quality product, I guess not. I want to email him and see what he has to say.

Looks like we'll be waiting a long time for an OAR disc of this movie. I was hoping Seville Pictures would release this title in 16x9 and with some extras like they did for "Decline of the American Empire" but unfortunately it looks like they don't have the rights to it here. I think it belongs to Christal Films, who always releases crappy P&S transfers with no english subtitles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks