What's new

Jesus of Montreal aspect ratio (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Anyone know the aspect ratio of the 1989 film Jesus of Montreal? (IMDB doesn't give one.)

I just watched the horrible PAL R0 disc from Arrowfilms so now I'm interested in the upcoming 11/9 R1 release from Koch Lober. However, Amazon and DVDPlanet list it as fullscreen. This could be the AR as this makes three fullscreen DVD releases, but I can't be sure.

Anyone?

Edit: could a mod move this to Movies or Software. Yes I'm stupid. :b

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Yeah, I checked out their site and sent them an email enquiry. I would imagine the film is 1.85:1 or somewhere thereabouts, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
I posted about this last week -- all the DVD sites I looked at have 4:3 fullscreen listed for the DVD. Has there been any new information posted?

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
I really can't see Koch Lorber releasing this in P&S... I bought their release of "The Decline of the American Empire", and it had an excellent anamorphic transfer. I would imagine they'd do the same for this film too. Let us know when you get a response from them! They're usually good with email responses.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just received a reply from Koch and their Jesus of Montreal DVD will be widescreen (1.85:1). On the downside it won't be anamorphic.

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
Their site lists it as 16x9, I wonder what they have to say about that ;)

At least its in widescreen this time though...

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
Someone on the DVDTALK forum says that they had a preview copy of the disc and its a fullscreen 4x3 release (and a poor quality picture)
If anyone gets this disc please post the result here. I've been after a widescreen copy of this flick for ages and all this conflicting info is maddening!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Since a Koch representative has already stated that it's widescreen, I'm going on that and pre-ordering a copy...

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
Koch lorber has now changed the description on their site from 16x9 to 1.85:1....

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
...and I just received a follow-up email from Koch saying that this will be a fullscreen release after all.

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
Koch Lorber is still listing it as 1:85 -- but non-anamorphic means a rental rather than a sale. And if it's 4:3 -- not even a rental. :frowning:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member

Damn it!!!

Koch Lorber is now officially every bit as bad as the Fox-Lorber of old. Jesus of Montreal is a great film that has been relegated to Pan & Scan (no doubt because K-L is using the P&S PAL transfer from R2 UK...)

Sad, very sad... Where is Criterion when we need them.

This has gone from the top of my "must buy" list to a distant hope that someone, somewhere will release an OAR DVD...

Ted

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
That's just terrible, looks like I'll be taking this off my upcoming Amazon order! :thumbsdown:

As for the transfer, my guess is that it comes from the Canadian dvd from Max Films (which didn't have any subtitles). The reason why I think this, I have their "Decline of the American Empire" dvd, and the transfer is fine, but it has a Seville logo on the package. That means they likely used the same transfer. I was afraid after seeing that, cuz the Canadian release of "Jesus of Montreal" is fullscreen. I dunno why they couldn't do their own release. After all the effort they put into "La Dolce Vita", I think it's a travesty they aren't willing to go any further. Especially since their transfer for "Decline' looked really good, I dunno why this film couldn't have got the same respect.

WarrenM

Stunt Coordinator
I think i'm going to email Koch Lorber and tell them to throw that garbage away, cuz nobody is gonna buy it. :D

walter o

Supporting Actor
I dont want to sound like a technical snob or anything, but isn't this a open matte presentation, not a pan and scan, as I assume it was phootgraphed that way?

The R2 dvd sure looked P/S to me. The framing didn't look right fro open matte. What a travesty. After a promising start these guys are looking more like Cock Lorber.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks