What's new

Jerri Blank is Finally Home or Strangers With Candy-Season One (1 Viewer)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I cannot tell you how happy I am to have this show out on DVD!

We watched half the first disc last night, and I have no complaints whatsoever (though it would have been nice to have had the deleted scenes and outtakes that were originally announced)...No problem with the sound and the video is a fine representation for the way that it was shot.

Awaiting season two's announcement...(crossing fingers)...

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
This is (well, was) one of my favorite shows. One of the most underrated comedy series.

I'll be getting this one.. thanks for the heads up!

Rodd Sato

Grip
I watched disc 1 last night... Audio is good, but video is pretty sad. Lots of "jaggies" seen on my Sony XBR. I guess this disc would look okay on a low rez TV.

Suffice it to say, I was disappointed by the quality. I'm glad this series is finally on DVD, but I give it...:thumbsdown:

Will K

Screenwriter
Just my opinion, I think the video is just fine. True enough, everyone's TV and perception is different.

What I can't wait for now is the Strangers With Candy movie that Amy Sedaris and Steven Colbert are currently scripting. Sounds like a guaranteed hard-R to me.

Rodd Sato

Grip
Just my opinion, I think the video is just fine. True enough, everyone's TV and perception is different.

What I can't wait for now is the Strangers With Candy movie that Amy Sedaris and Steven Colbert are currently scripting. Sounds like a guaranteed hard-R to me.
Will K, just wondering, but what kind of set do you have?

The jaggies on my XBR are really noticeable. This is definitely not an acceptable video transfer in my opinion.

As for the SWC movie, I'd like to see a NR instead of a hard R. The mainstream public is not gonna see this film anyway.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The video quality isn't the best, but it's still better than duped VHS copies. I'm just glad to finally have the series. Too bad there are no plans as of now to release any more.

Will K

Screenwriter
Will K, just wondering, but what kind of set do you have? The jaggies on my XBR are really noticeable. This is definitely not an acceptable video transfer in my opinion.
Mitsubishi 46"(4x3). I guess it's different sets. Most of my DVDs with look really good on my set(and I am definitely picky). I have noticed when viewing same material on others' people sets(16x9 or not), something always look different, whether better or worse. I don't doubt you see the jaggies. Maybe you have younger eyes than I do. :)

Will K

Screenwriter
I finally completed Disc 1 of the series. I was basing my opinion on the first few three episodes, which to me, look just fine. It seemed logical the quality would be even for the whole season, but...

Tonight, beginning with "Bogie Nights," I was in for a shock and I now understand what you're talking about. This particular episode looks significantly worse than the rest, as if the transfer technicians appear to have cranked up the edge enhacement to disasterous results . This episode is littered with very obvious "jaggies" and some compression issues to boot. It's quite atrocious! What went wrong? Did different people encode the video?

The last two episodes on the disc don't look nearly as bad as "Bogie" but have the same problems. Weird.

Rodd Sato

Grip
What went wrong? Did different people encode the video?
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. I've viewed both discs and from my vantage point, disc 2 is worse. Not only are there jaggies in each episode, but on disc 2 I noticed more "noise" than on disc 1. The weird thing is, the pilot episode is the best looking one! The jaggies weren't as obvious, and the noise I saw on the regular episodes was absent for the pilot. Very inconsistent video, indeed.

On a side note, I'm glad Comedy Central included the "Chigger" skit from Crank Yankers. That was by far the best skit from that series.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
guys, i don't think it's edge enhancement.

i see the SAME jaggies whenever they are showing Stranger with Candy on Comedy Central. It's from the source.

i've always thought it was strange that i only see it on that show...i think it's an artifact of the digital video they shot it on and perhaps the equipment they edited the show on.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
Who gives a damn about the 'jaggies' when this show is so friggin' funny ! :D

I watched it sporadically when it aired but some of these are so insanely hilarious it's beyond belief. my highlights so far:

"A Burden's Burden" -- Cafeteria scene where Jerri berates Tammy Littlenut is probably the best scene ever. "Is that how they say 'hi' in Whoreville ?". Pee on me.

"Who Wants Cake" -- They all want cake ! "Packing a Musket" ... "History poems on Hiroshima for tomorrow ... but nothing too f-a-g-g-y" ... "Where's your permission slip ... SHUT YOUR DIRTY LITTLE MOUTH !!" "They'll come at you like a whirling dervish all fists and elbows". Good lord. I almost peed myself at those lines.

For those who hadn't seen it, check out:

http://www.jerriblank.com

And did anyone see Amy on Conan last night ? She was typically hilarious. They actually bleeped out a word when she talked about how she get revenge on rude restaurant customers by putting in their drinks to give them the s**ts. TiVO showed she was saying "visine".

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
There are no plans to release the second season?

I'd imagine this one wasn't too expensive to produce, and with the small amount of advertising...it should be a little productive.

I'd gladly pay more for the rest of this seris. I was very happy with the result.

The movie idea would be absolutely great. :)

Darren Davis

Stunt Coordinator
YES! I was just watching a rerun the other night and wishing they'd release the episodes on DVD. Now if they could only get Upright Citizens Brigade out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks