What's new

(JBL N24's or HTD Level 2) + Sony SA-WM40 Sub Opinions? (1 Viewer)

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Any opinions on which would go better with Sony SA-WM40 Sub, the JBL N24's or Home Theater Direct Level 2's? I only need 2 mains plus the sub for now.

I noticed on Harman's ebay store they have a NSP1 speaker package that has been going for around $150 plus shipping. It consists of 4 N24's + a center channel speaker. I don't currently have the need for the extra speakers but for the price it might be a good deal for future expansion, or just for the spares.

If anyone has a better suggestion for something in the same price range I'm listening. :)

Thanks,
BrianGC

MikeWG

Auditioning
I wouldn't go with the N24II's as the sound from the N26II's is far better and not that much more money. You can get the N26II's (in canada) for about $75 - $100 more and the sound is leaps and bounds better than the N24II's. Go to your local BB or CC and give the two a listen. The N24II's would be a good idea in the future for rear speakers. Just my opinion but go have a listen and decide what you think.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about matching the sub to the speakers as it isn't important (IMHO). Timber matching your fronts, rears and center is wise (IMO) but I wouldnt worry about the sub.

Mike.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
So, either JBL N-Series bookshelf will do the job dynamically, clearly and impressively, The JBL NSP1 Objective Benchmark revealed why they received so many positive accolades ... from JAN 2000 Sound&Vision Magazine ...

Frequency Response
N-24 front left/right.... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
N-Center................... 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
N-24 surround.......... 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB

For it's size, the JBL N24 is the only Objectively Tested speaker w/4" woofer to have a documented usable lower frequency extending down to 89 Hz ... -2.7 dB Fronts+* / 89 Hz ... -3.2 dB Surrounds+*. The highly recommended Energy Take 5.2 only extended down to 110 Hz ... -4.5 dB Fronts+* / 110 ... -3.2 Hz dB Surrounds+* - making it a little more complicated to use AV Receiver's with 80 Hz or 90 Hz fixed x-over's.

+* Fronts: Averaged over a ±30° window, with double weight given to the most common listening angle, 30°.
+* Surrounds: Averaged over a ±60° window with double weight given to the widest off-axis angles.

So, audition both and choose what sounds the best for your room.

If HOME THEATER is your eventual goal / priority, ... then I usually recommend getting at the very least, identical Fronts & Surrounds speakers w/timbre-(voice)-matched Center.

So, if you choose the N24II's, get the JBL NSP1-II HT set (includes N-Center)

If you choose the N26II's, when you add the surrounds, I would get another set of N26II's & N-Center.

The difference between timbre-matched though different size speakers vs. identical Fronts & Surrounds speakers is what I would consider "leaps and bounds better" when watching/listening to your blockbuster DD/DTS-5.1 DVD's!!!

I will never mix the front and surround speakers again, which is what I did when I moved up to the JBL S-Series - four JBL S26's!!! :)

The JBL NSP1's a keeper, and they now reside (w/AudioSource SW15 200w 15" sub) @ my vacation house up in the Sierra's (45 mins from the Kirkwood Ski resort).

Have fun deciding,
Phil

BrianGC

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
Thanks for the replies guys, I usually manage to makes posts that not many reply to. LOL

Phil, I think your reply may be the best one I've had to any post, ever. :)

I may just try to bid on one of the NSP1 packages Harman has on Ebay. They are the NSP1, not the NSP1 II, but looking at the JBL website the technical specs for both sets appear to be identical.

They've been going for approx. $150 + shipping. That's barely more than Best Buy sells 1 pair of N24II's for.

Even if I only use 1 set of the N24's now, I'll have the other + center in reserve for later.

Thanks again,
BrianGC

RussB

Auditioning
Brian, You won't be disappointed. I have had the NSP1 II setup for several months and love it. It was a big upgrade from what I had. The Sony sub is what I was going to get, but went with the now discontinued DLS 10. If you can pry someone fingers off a DLS 10 I would recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks