What's new

andySu

Senior HTF Member
A chap from an AV installer assisted to fitting the JBL 8330A to the ceiling. A ceiling fixing fitted is almost visible due to some of the foam wedge tiles being removed.

JBLTHX.jpg

Below is after the install of 7 1/2hrs.

JBLTHX1.jpg

JBTHX3.jpg

To rear height the 9th JBL 8330A won't be fitted until it arrives soon and be fitted up. Rear Height 3 is running on the Dolby SA10 in normal mode for meantime. All the rest and rear back height sound, many times improvement due to sensitivity, crossover, power handling and frequency response.

The spacing between the Height channels may be possible for a 5 wide height channel for each Height 1, 2 and 3.

JBLTHX4.jpg

Starting to place back the wedge foam tiles that will take a few days. Applied some back the front around the front height 1. The lighting was reposition a bit further back from the front.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Stuck some Velcro to the speaker grill and stuck it up, since the screw fittings are from behind the speaker and not possible to fit easily, the Velcro seems to be just as good.

JBLgrill1.jpg

JBLgrill2.jpg

JBLgrill3.jpg

JBLgrill4.jpg

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Other JBL8330A THX just arrived from USA, tested with multi-meter reading around 8ohm. Waiting now for it to be fitted up into Dolby Atmos DOG 3 position.
JBLdog3 1.jpg

JBLdog3 2.jpg

andySu

Senior HTF Member
AV installer came around this morning to fit up the Final JBL 8330A THX, Height 3 middle back ceiling with all x9 soundly sounding great.
All grills fitted using Velcro.

JBLAtmos.jpg

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Arachnophobia (1990)
Dolby Stereo / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL, 21kw

Laserdisc of Arachnophobia arrived this morning. WOW the bass and sub bass extension gave me flashback to the UCI High Wycombe in THX. Feel it pressing against my body and totally pressurizing the room.

THX1.jpg

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Finished the ceiling tiles with only tiny gaps to fill in with some cut to size but, ceiling finished only few sidewalls to do.

89630334_10157946550015149_5221696572756066304_o.jpg

THX tile1.jpg

andySu

Senior HTF Member
1917 (2019)
Dolby AtmosPlusIIIx / 156 JBL speakers / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System, 21kw

Overhead surround is used sparingly chapter 5, 20:12 I have the Dolby AtmosPlusIIIx tuned through rehearsal listening to other channels otherwise most Atmos home cinemas I would bet would have a some audio masking difficulties and certain sounds may go unheard/unnoticed.

Bass and LFE.1 is deep and reverberate to create a tense feeling of walking around the ruins of houses and muddy waters.

Cinematography looks good clear and nicely camera focused with some nice camera crane shots and steadicam.

Update on the Dolby Atmos. Don't expect a lot of usage on the Heights 1 2 and 3 the biplane scene at chapter 5, 20:12 is about as much as you would hear. A few little derbies on Height 1 during the last battle scene that only lasts for few seconds. How did this win best sound?? No use of serious 100% directional dialogue panning. I think academy ampas members must be all hard of hearing when it comes to nomination voting.

1917.jpg

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Thomas Newman score thundered roared during the end credits in THX sound system. Overhead surrounds are not active they are still only used sparingly at best at chapter 5. The deepness of the percussion was pressing against my body.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks