What's new

JBL e60 and e80 comparsion and how much is too much (1 Viewer)

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
Ok so I went out and auditioned the JBL E60 and E80 at Best Buy last night. I like the E60 better, which sort of surprised me so I even doubled checked on the back of the speakers themselves just to make sure I was looking at the right ones. I thought that the E80 sounded a little hollow and boomy, almost like there was a set up problem, and the E60 sounded brighter and smoother. Both sounded better with a sub going. Has anyone else felt the same way??? I’m defiantly not a connoisseur of sound quality or anything, just looking to spend some money. I would have really like to check out the E90 or E100 but they didn’t have them there. I’m just afraid that what I heard on the E80 was associated with dual drivers and that there would be a similar effect on the 90 and/or 100, anyone comment?

Also how do you know you have a big enough set up? I know that to some there is never a big enough set up, and I feel the same way about bass… always have. But how do you really KNOW that the E80/90/100 are really for you, with out trying all of them out in your house, is the a broad line to follow, or not. I imagine that this is a very open ended question that has no right answer, but I thought I would ask it.

Thanks!

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I preferred the 90's (demo'd 60,80,90's but not at same time). I ultimately went with 80's due to cost and space.
I did not really notice a big difference between 90's and 80's, very slight. I DID notice a big difference between 60's and 80's and preferred the 80's over the 60's. MIds sounded MUCH better to me.
I am quite happy with 80's, ec35 e10 and n24 surrounds and my little 10" Dayton sub (BFD'd). The mids in the 80's blend well with the sub. MCACC on my PIO 1014 really helps to flatten out response of the E80's. I def. prefer the sound of the e80's when using MCACC. Whether it is NOT a gopd thing that they sound better eg'd, it still does to me.

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I prefer the 80's. I would never by them at Best Buy. I buy all my electronics online and save a ton. You could get a pair of E80's for $358 and a pair of 60'S for about $300 at http://www.bhphotovideo.com They have a great reputation

Colin+M

Stunt Coordinator
I also auditioned both series at best buy, the E80's sounded much clearer in the mid-range/high area. The bass was close if not better on the E80. I got my E80's from b&h photo as well at the price Greg listed.

John S

Senior HTF Member
DerekCV, speaker preference is extremely subjective.

Definetly buy what you think sounded best.

I will say the dang E90's are a steal with free shipping at the affore mentioned online dealer. Less than the others for whatever reason.

But, please please buy on your own preference. I don't even like to suggest speakers anymore. Just to subjective from one person to the next.

These true blind tests the the audio rags do all the time, are interesting when there is concensus at the end though, often surprising the people involved in the test.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
E90's are 235 ea. shipped and the 80's are 179 ea. shipped
Hence, I went with the 80s when I bought them back in Dec.

Looking at the specs for the, E series floor standers, I noticed something interesting with the crossover points. The E60 is at 1000 and 4000Hz, the E80 and E90 are at 300 and 4000Hz, and the E100 are 1000 and 5000HZ.

I am trying to figure out why the 10s are crossed so much higher then the 6s and 8s. Also, why the difference with one 8 vs two 8s? Any ideas?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I was going to post, but it was just sort of a smart arsed comment, refrained.

Ahh to get into the mind of an audio engineer, especially for speakers in this price range.

I'd say your guess is as good as any as to why really.

No wonder they sound so different even though they are in the same line.

Zeeshan T

Agent
Buy what sounds best to you. I auditioned the e80 and 90 and went with the e90 and am very satisfied with my choice. Also as mentioned above, buy online and save a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks