What's new

JBL E250 vs Dayton 10" (1 Viewer)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Which is better for those that have heard both?

Looking for accuracy and tightness, not muddy boom boom.

Obviosuly E250 is roughly 2xs cost of Dayton. Can anything touch the dayton in $150ish range?

E250 would be at absolute MAX end (or maybe even beyond) budget for this.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I have the E250P (will be replaced with something MUCH, MUCH better soon) and for what I paid (under $200), it is great!

It has a reputation of not being 'clean sounding', but I find that to not be totally true. It could be better, but it isn't bad.

For movies, it is great. Watching 'I, Robot' in our large family room (openings to kitchen and everywhere) - it was able to shake the couch and pressurize the room - with no real distortion (there is always distortion, but the sub was not close to its limits)

For music, it is OK, but doesn't have the tight SLAP that you want from kick drums and such. Not bad, but it's no REL or SVS :D

You should be able to get it for ~$250 from an authorized dealer.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Thanks, just got my 1014 from them this week.

Really leaning towards the Dayton, just wondering if the E250 is better or worth the price difference.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
For about the same money as the JBL, you could get the Dayton AND the BFD. The BFD will do wonders for the in-room response of the Dayton. It may well do wonders for all subs but the Dayton is the only sub I've EQ'ed.

David

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
I believe once someone hears what the BFD can do for a sub, the second sub can wait. For what it's worth, the BFD can EQ two subs.

David

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
David, that is an extremely compelling idea. Right now, I live on the 2nd floor of a 2 family home. Don't need the raw power, need the quality. I am VERY seriously considering the dayton + the BFD.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have not had good luck with JBL subs. I blew three of them. But I freely admit I am brutal on subs.

RyanJE

Second Unit
I have the E250 and Im happy with it but I am also not too brutal. Of course its no SVS but it isnt anywhere near the cost either. One day though I will have my 16-46pci. Oh yes I will.

P.S. What the hell is BFD??

Max F

Second Unit
I would go with either:

1) Dayton and BFD (which i have now and works great!)

or

2) DIY - Quatro 15" sub + PE 240watt amp + MDF + Spray paint, glue, screws + elbow greese. Sould be around $250-300

The first one is easy, but the second (especially with the BFD) would rock pretty hard and would sound pretty darn good in a sealed box for music.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to throw in the Atlantic Technology T70.1 PBM for consideration. It's very clean sounding (sealed design with quick response- enough output for small to medium room), smallish in size, and easy on the eyes. It's worth looking into for the $179 bargain price. Do a search for this one and you'll find a comparison in Sound and Vision. I got mine about 4 months ago- the volume is set to 1/3 for my 13x18x8ft room, sounds good with music and movies, matches seemlessly with my speakers, I have tested it to 25Hz, and I'd buy it all over again. Good luck.

RyanJE

Second Unit
First may I ask how can a subwoofer "match" other speakers?? Maybe the finish??

Second I dont think Mike would get all that much out of the BFD his VSX-1014 has an automatic equalizer adjustment. I might be wrong though, Ive never used a BFD.

Brian_Fly

Stunt Coordinator

I mean that I cannot hear at which point the sound stops coming from my speakers and starts coming from my sub. It does not bring obvious attention to itself (not "boomier", if you will, than the rest of my speaker system), and it integrates well. This was not true with my previous sub (a yamaha which was aweful in retrospect). Anyway- Mikey, I got it from Soundcity - it used to ship free, but apparently not anymore. I will concede that the Dayton 10" would probably have more output, but would probably not be as clean for music, and is not video shielded if that's important to you.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Mikey,

I have had the Dayton and it will provide the SQ you are looking for. I use all JBL's so the 250 was on my short-list as well.

If you can go DIY definately do it. I built a 12" 85L Shiva and it is incredible. It can be your SVS and I built mine for under $200. I found a slightly used Shiva for $50 (from Thomas W on this forum), mdf, amp (250 watt used amp from Audiogon), and was in business. Ported to go down to 22 hz. The only thing I need is another one!

RyanJE

Second Unit
Hey Mikey, how did you know the receiver doesn't EQ the sub?? It EQ'd the 40hz frequencies, and my speakers (less the sub) dont go that low.. Why would it take db's off of the 40hz frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks