What's new

JBL E250 vs Dayton 10" (1 Viewer)

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Do some searches at the various forums about MCACC and what it EQ's. It has been posted quite a few times that it does not EQ the sub itself.
Also pretty easy to detrmine by looking at the EQ data, has all channels BUT the sub.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Oh. Well that kinda sucks. I dont understand why it would attenuate the 40hz signal when my speakers cant touch that.. do you know?

How much does BFD cost?? Did you decide on a sub yet??

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
No decision on sub yet. After playing with my 1014 for another day or 2, the BASS is MUCH improved. I will probably go with the Dayton tho, then maybe the BFD.
They run about $1000 for the BFD.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Holy crap. I thought you said that you were budgeted to under 250... It took me a while to get the bass right on mine too.(and apparently its still not right now that I know about equalization). Are you still using the loudness??

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
Mikey made a typo. The BFD runs about $125. I bought mine from Parts Express but they're available from a number of stores and sites.

David

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Please excuse the extra 0. I did mean $100 :)

Ryan, also look at the 1014tx manual about it not EQ'ing the sub (it clearly states it in the EQ section).

I have been toying with the loudness on and off, but do not have it on right now and def. do not need it as I did on my 811.
REALLY liking this 1014 the more I set it up.

Max F

Second Unit
You can get a BFD from flea-bay pretty easy. There's practically one on sell everyday (just watch the delivery fee though). Most people use them as advertised - feedback control for live setups - so there's plenty out there.

I got mine for around 90 including delivery.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Mikey
I agree the more time I spend fine tuning the better it sounds. I noticed the test tones set the speakers a little hot so I went through and fine tuned with DVE.
In the manual it says to make sure the sub is on and the volume is set at half way. That it recognizes the sub. But when you flip through the eq settings theres no channel for the sub. I wonder if it uses the subs output to EQ the other speakers. It just doesn't actually eq the sub itself.

Andre P

Auditioning
I just noticed the Dayton sub will not be in stock until 4/1/05.

Mike,

Did you get the JBL E10's? If so, how do you like them?

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody use the BFD with the JBL E250P ? How do you display the BFD ? It looks as though it should be mounted in a special rack or something.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
The BFD has rack ears, BUT they can be mounted or NOT.

When the rack ears are NOT attached to the BFD, it's width is about the same as most standard components widths.

Around/approx 16.5 to 17"'s, sold mine or would measure it...It's thin in height and not very deep at all.

A BFD on any sub will help anyone with room issues causing peeks and dips in the subs FR by smoothing/flatting it out. It will also allow for seperate curves to be set for HT and Music if one so feels inclined.

A new BFD will be coming out shortly and the price will double, around 200.00 or so.
Thread is (running at AVS on this).

Just so you know:
If you want a NEW or USED--->BFD-1124 the current model, consider getting it soon before their gone. Nothing really big IMO being changed that would apply to the sub EQ-ing part of the BFD that most use it for in their HT's.

If youR extremely budget limited, the BFD and Dayton is something I'd pursue, over "just the JBL-E250P sub only".. The BFD can always be added to you next higher end sub and the Dayton-10/TM-II used somewhere else in the room & or home/apt/condo/garage/etc.. Thre is a very nice BFD Comprehensives Setup and Usage Guide on the net for those who are just getting one. It will be very very helpfull, trust me..

Dah Dayton:
It's a damn impressive little sub, considering it' costs, still a best buy and king of the budget subs. Don't let it's smallish size fool you.. Many owners, "less a BFD", are seeing in room numbers flat to 25Hz and even lower in some cases. Very room depenent, (the free room gain and where) and this applies to most any room & sub.

The (Atlantic Tech T70.1 PBM) mentioned, is a darn good little sub and much more attractive if you can find it on sale like J&R had for awhile~dirt ass cheap with free shipping. Very impressive little sub at it's sale price point, & S&V thought so even at it's MSRP...

The S&V page for the **AT-70 sub review** if you care to check t out.

JM-2cents

Cheers
Geoff ¥

KenLeBlanc

Stunt Coordinator
I might be able to get a Behringer Feedback Destroyer DSP-1100P locally for around $50 - $60 US. Supposedly it was only used 3 times and was not installed in a rack. Is this still a good model with all features needed to EQ a sub ? I will be getting the JBL E250P. Just starting to get into the serious home theatre stuff after joining this forum ;)

I guess I will need to get an SPL from Radio Shack and the AVIA disc too. And keep reading all these great posts and try to figure out how to use evreything together to get the best possible sound. I'm still a newbie when it comes to all this stuff.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yes both are the same in what they do, but the 1124 is the newer model and supposedly better built and easier to use.
Again, "another even newer BFD is about to be released, this so as not to confuse people..

I'd never use it the BFD) for pro sound as it is designed for, either of them 1100P/1124, ~{but for HT sub Pari eq-ing they work fine and are cheap}~...

This below might help a little to the differences in the 2 units mentioned.

** 1100P/1124 **

Regards
Geoff ¥

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Shoud have threw this up in the first post.

Not trying to re-route the thread, but the BFD has been mentioned and asked about. This site below, makes setting the BFD up & learning to use it (much much easier) than reading the manual which is crap IMO.

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide:
** BFD Learning Site **

Back on topic,, "Which Sub" Dayton-10 or JBL E250.. :b

Cheers
Geoff ¥

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator
I have the luxury living in a end unit townhouse with only our garages connecting, so I am able to put my E250P through it's paces.

I got mine for $269 from Harmon directly because of a employee purchase plan with them. Considering I had to pay sales tax and shipping, I later got other parts of my 7.1 JBL E series setup from J&R.

I can't think of anything more taxing on a sub than "Trinity and Beyond: The Atomic Bomb Movie" and the E250P held up great on it. I find the sub to be clean and it has more than enough power to satisfy me. Nuclear explosions in Dolby 5.1 can be outright scary!

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
PE now has it that the Dayton 10 will be in stock on 2/17/05, so I just ordered 1. Really didn't want to spend the extra $100 on the JBL (didn't seem like it was worth 100 more). I will most likely pick up a feedback destroyer to EQ it tho, get rid of the muddy boom :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks