What's new

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Leslie Jones is allowed to be upset and I have no interest in trying to suggest otherwise. Her apparent crime against humanity was that when her agent called to tell her she was being offered a part in a Ghostbusters reboot, she accepted.

For this, she was harassed mercilessly. Her phone was hacked. Private photos were stolen and placed online for all to see. She received death threats. All of these things are crimes.

Think about that for a second. As a result of accepting a legitimate work offer to make entertainment, some people were so aghast at the idea she had been given this job that they took it upon themselves to break the law and commit crimes against her.

The film wasn’t as successful as hoped, and the anticipated sequel won’t be going forward. So not only has Jones been harassed and been the victim of a crime because she took this part, but she’s just found out unceremoniously that she’s lost a future job. I can understand it feeling like her employer put her in a terrible situation and then didn’t have her back.

Leslie Jones is not the problem in the Ghostbusters world of films and fandom.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
@Gary Seven I think you are on your own on this one sir. Her tweet is in no way offensive. And it does have merit. She was in a role that got steamrolled by internet mobs, and feels that the film is being erased because of its female PoV.

Calling a person of color an ignorant lowlife and mocking their language isn't winning you points here on top of that.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
@Gary Seven I think you are on your own on this one sir. Her tweet is in no way offensive. And it does have merit. She was in a role that got steamrolled by internet mobs, and feels that the film is being erased because of its female PoV.

Calling a person of color an ignorant lowlife
and mocking their language isn't winning you points here on top of that.

Ok this to me has gone too far PC. What if the Twitter person was Kristen Wigg (sp) and he said the exact same thing? You wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Come on, we all know he wasn't focusing on her being black, it was her vile posting that deserved being called out.

NOTHING to do with her being BLACK.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I don't think her tweet has merit, at all.

It's a profanity-laced tirade from someone who participated in a failed experiment and is upset that the failed experiment won't be allowed to continue.

Calling it unfair because they are going to be *ignored* when the entire premise of her film is the complete and total discarding of the original two films is the hypocritical icing on the cake.

That she was harassed or otherwise hard done by via internet trolls is a separate issue, and I think it's a mistake to view her tweet through that particular lens.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The 2016 film lost enough money that they would never go back to that same version of Ghost Busters again.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
When the new teaser was released, I watched it at work. I was excited to see they would try and get it right this time around. After sharing my enthusiasm with my team, I was informed a person down the hall was an extra on the original movie. Found out he's one of the kids waving a Ghostbusters shirt at the end during the celebration. We geeked out about it for a half hour.

Just thought I'd share !

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I’ve always liked the original ‘84 film, but was not particularly attached to it like most people are. I thought the 2016 version was a perfect reboot and thought it as good as the first. I’ve never seen the second one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Feig’s response

An absolute honest to God never ending supply of bullshit and hate from these trolls. Leslie spoke her truth and I support her. I am very open to Jason’s new version of GB but am also sad that our 2016 team may not get to bust again. We all are. We’re forever proud of our movie.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ok this to me has gone too far PC. What if the Twitter person was Kristen Wigg (sp) and he said the exact same thing? You wouldn't have thought twice about it.

Come on, we all know he wasn't focusing on her being black, it was her vile posting that deserved being called out.

NOTHING to do with her being BLACK.
It's fine that anyone is offended by Jones' tweet but the specific criticism of "dint" was a pretty clear message to me.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
That's a stretch IMO. Bad grammar can be called out regardless of who it is. It doesn't care if it's black or red or white. If you can't speak correctly, you're gonna get called out.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
That's perfectly fine too and while it may not have been the poster's intent, it read in a certain way to me.

and things like this are why we are in the crazy world we are in now. Everyone is quick to jump on the "racist!" wagon and PC wagons and make assumptions without any proof. It's sad to see it hold here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks