What's new

Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'll have to give a look at "GB2" again. I thought there was some "explanation" of why some thought the 1984 events were a fraud, but I might just be remembering the Peck claim.

I thought the courtroom scene in "GB2" went down that path!
I thought there was some discussion about it when Ray and Winston show up to perform at the kids' birthday party too.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I thought there was some discussion about it when Ray and Winston show up to perform at the kids' birthday party too.

IIRC I only remember the kid (played by Jason Reitman) saying something like “my dad thinks you’re full of crap that’s why your business failed” something like that. And then Winston reminding Ray they all got sued.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
If you pull up Ghostbusters Afterlife on Vudu, it says, "available to watch in 21 days". So looks like it'll be out digitally on Jan. 4th. Not sure if this info has made it out or not.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Picked up a copy of the UHD the other day. Looking forward to watching it with the spouse. I wasn't sure if I wanted to see it, but I like Carrie Coon and Paul Rudd, have recently watched Stranger Things and liked Finn Wolfhard, and heard that Shohreh Agdashloo does the voice for Gozer the Gozerian.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I’ll preface my comments by saying I love the original Ghostbusters. It came out in theaters when I was 9 years old and left quite an impression on me, becoming one of my favorite movies ever. I watched Ghostbusters II when it was first released on VHS and didn’t like it at all and couldn’t even make it a half hour into the 2016 remake. I was really afraid I wouldn’t like Afterlife because of that and also because I don’t care for Finn Wolfhard or Paul Rudd.

This morning, I finally got a chance to stream Ghostbusters Afterlife in 4K Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I skipped seeing it in theaters and have been avoiding all discussions about it so nothing would be spoiled for me. After 37 years of waiting for a proper sequel to Ghostbusters, what did I think of this latest effort? I loved it! Absolutely loved it! It had more than enough nostalgia to keep me interested and enough new stuff to keep the story fresh. All the characters were likable and Mckenna Grace was fantastic in her role. I was able to easily suspend my disbelief and really enjoy the movie. Unlike what a lot of people have complained about, the pacing in the first half didn’t seem slow to me and the movie really flew by. There were a couple of places where I got misty-eyed and at least two times, I actually cheered out loud. The first time I heard the Ecto-1 siren, I got goosebumps up and down my arms and was probably smiling like a lunatic. The Atmos soundtrack is incredible and not overcooked and the picture is great with spectacular effects from the proton packs.

I rented from iTunes so I have a day and a half left on the rental period and will most likely watch it again when I get up tomorrow morning.

This is definitely on my “to purchase on UHD Blu-ray” list.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Recently saw Ghostbusters: Afterlife on Blu. Amazing film! I was disappointed in both Ghostbusters II (1989) and the third film (2016), but this was a very worthy successor to the original iconic '84 movie. I liked all of the homages to this original, and the story was interesting as well. In fact, I would have to say this movie was perfect - and I rarely say that...even about most films I really enjoyed.

Too many great scenes to list, but I especially liked:

-The beat up Ecto-1, with the cool "side gunner" feature.

- The scene in the deserted Wal-mart when the tiny Stay-Puft marshmallow men came out of the bags & started making each other into S'mores, roasting each other over a fire, blending each other up, etc. Sick/twisted, but at the same time extremely funny ;)

-The effects - extremely well-done.

-Phoebe's corny jokes, and her deadpan delivery - which made them even funnier ;)

Great dialogue as well! Definitely some of the best writing I've seen in a recent film. I especially liked the dry sarcasm:

The truth is, I’ve always wondered what lurked inside this haunt box. - Grooberson
Right. Well, the only thing lurking inside here is my slowly dying soul. - Callie

You said you had money saved up. -Trevor
Well, that was before I had children. -Callie

Why should you not trust an atom? Because they make up everything. -Phoebe

Great way to end the film, with the far shot of NYC...leading up to the original Ghostbusters theme. Also liked the final scene with Sigourney Weaver & Bill Murray - hilarious ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks