What's new

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024) (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So guess I definitely need to finally buy Afterlife (and actually watch it) before this comes in ~2.5 months?

I was gonna buy the 4K during holiday shopping, but missed a brief, decent sale on it. Might have to just bite the bullet this time I guess... :P

So combo of Dune: Part 2 (probably x2-3 at the Lincoln Square IMAX ;):popcorn::lol:) and this alone (at whichever best screen) will make my AMC A-List membership more than pay for itself for March, heh...

_Man_

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
New pic

GEJeEgvWQAAQKCE

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It looks like fun. Is it just the trailer or do the original Ghostbusters have bigger parts this time?

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The trailer feels like the filmmakers have forgotten that the original Ghostbusters was a comedy. There's nothing inherently wrong with going another direction, but it feels like they are taking this all a bit too seriously. I had the same thought about the Afterlife trailer, but I enjoyed the actual movie more than I thought I would when I finally saw it. However, while it was good for a chuckle here and there, I don't recall Afterlife having any big laughs.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Afterlife certainly wasn’t on the same comedy level as 1984, but it was still a good movie and my second favorite GB film (especially since I don’t acknowledge GB II and 2016 exist). I’m not expecting much from Frozen Empire, mostly because it didn’t really need to be made and I don’t like Paul Rudd, but I’ll still go to the movies to see it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Probably a new revenue stream for theaters as they can charge extra for the "limited edition" container.

Similar to steelbook packaging for blu-rays.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The trailer feels like the filmmakers have forgotten that the original Ghostbusters was a comedy. There's nothing inherently wrong with going another direction, but it feels like they are taking this all a bit too seriously. I had the same thought about the Afterlife trailer, but I enjoyed the actual movie more than I thought I would when I finally saw it. However, while it was good for a chuckle here and there, I don't recall Afterlife having any big laughs.

I didn't end up seeing Afterlife because the trailer didn't really sell me on the comedy or the spectacle (looked a little indie-ish). This one looks a little more promising with bigger action/effects, but still a little skeptical about how funny it will be. The music is quite serious.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Afterlife was definitely less comedic than the prior three films. Seems like Reitman wanted it to be centered as a family drama, with some comedic moments:

“Historically, Ghostbusters movies were always about people going into business. It was about people starting a ghostbusting business together,” Reitman, son of the original two films’ director, Ivan Reitman, told IGN. “I suppose I knew immediately from the beginning that I wanted to make a movie about a family.”

The memory of original Ghostbuster Egon Spengler, played by the late Harold Ramis, looms large in Ghostbusters: Afterlife as the character has now passed away. “This is a movie about the Spengler family. And the Spengler family is disconnected. This movie is about why,” Reitman said. (IGN)

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Afterlife was definitely less comedic than the prior three films. Seems like Reitman wanted it to be centered as a family drama, with some comedic moments:

“Historically, Ghostbusters movies were always about people going into business. It was about people starting a ghostbusting business together,” Reitman, son of the original two films’ director, Ivan Reitman, told IGN. “I suppose I knew immediately from the beginning that I wanted to make a movie about a family.”

The memory of original Ghostbuster Egon Spengler, played by the late Harold Ramis, looms large in Ghostbusters: Afterlife as the character has now passed away. “This is a movie about the Spengler family. And the Spengler family is disconnected. This movie is about why,” Reitman said. (IGN)
I think Jason Reitman is great at introspective human dramas, but I wish he would go back to the kind of biting satirical comedy he did in Thank You for Smoking. That film is hilarious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks