What's new

Home Theater United Episode 31 - Robert Zohn from Value Electronics on Black Friday Part Deux (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Home Theater United
Episode 31
November 22, 2021 8:00 PM EST

Black Friday Part DEUX With special guest Robert Zohn of Value Electronics

Reconnection (5m or less):
  • Whatcha get so far for pre-black friday sales?

Black Friday (Target time 1h give or take): Interviewing Robert Zohn of Value Electronics
  • How do you plan out for holiday specials
  • Are holiday specials going on now? Will they change on the ‘real’ black friday?
  • Can you provide any hints =)
  • How are you able to compete with chains like bestbuy and online with Amazon
  • How, as a retailer, do you feel about Black Friday becoming a ‘season’ and not a single day?
  • What were the results of your TV shootout and will that affect your holiday sale plans
  • You are an advocate for short throw projectors, can you tell us more about that? How did that evolve
  • What's your own home theater like, if you have one =)
  • Are you disk only???
  • How has the pandemic affected you / Value?
  • Any word on the 2021 JVC monsters being released
  • Do you think CES 2022 will go? Will you attend?

Quick Good Band and Ugly:

Sam - Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Brian - Police Academy 1-7

Robert - Not submitting, just guessing

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Value Electronics home:

Leslie Easterbrook National Anthem (might be blocked as embedded, click through):

Noizey Man:

Denon 1700:

JVC:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Holidays disrupt my regular listening routines. Finally had time for HTU this morning. :)

Now I want to visit Value Electronics…but it’s a 5 hour drive up the Eastern seaboard from home, or an hour sub way trip from NYC if I were making it a vacation visit. Will give it a look next time I’m visiting the city.

I‘m confused by availability of the Denon AVR’s now, because (it turns out) at least the 760 has been available in CostCo for two or three months already. Does CostCo have some special arrangement with some consumer electronics companies for early access?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@Sam Posten I bought Shawshank UHD. It went offline and then back online at BB the past week, and was available for $10 ordering over the weekend. I hit the buy button; but it’s on a slow boat and not due to deliver until NYE I think!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
@Brian Dobbs Thanks for doing the hard work of watching the Police Academy series so I don’t have to. :laugh: As I do my erratic and slow rewatch of “classics” from my youth, I’ve considering rewatching Beverly Hills Cop, but hadn’t really thought about Police Academy. Maybe rewatching for the first one would be fun.

Pulling back last episode, where Sam (?) mentioned this podcast, Brett Goldstein interviews Bobcat Goldthwait, best known from Police Academy, to gentlemen of a certain age ;)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Bobcat also directed God Bless America, which I love. Watch Police Academy 1-3 at least. They still hold up.
I was listening to their discussion of his movies in the podcast minutes ago. I think Bobcat described God Bless America as his only “cynical” movie.

I’m definitely interested in finding this, now.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I was listening to their discussion of his movies in the podcast minutes ago. I think Bobcat described God Bless America as his only “cynical” movie.

I’m definitely interested in finding this, now.
It stars Joel Murray, Bill's younger brother.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I was gonna post that!
I’m only now trying out the podcast — listening to the recent Bobcat interview as an intro — and it’s quite good. I’ll probably subscribe and listen when the mood and time strikes me. It’s really something listening to Roy Kent interview Bobcat Goldthwait. :D

If you’re interested in a podcast about the business side of streaming media, I like the new one by Jason Snell, Downstream. It’s every two weeks, so not a big listening demand, if you’ve got a hefty subscription roster already. If you listen to other Relay FM (like Upgrade) or Incomparable podcasts you already know the style and if this might be for you. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have two nerd questions about recent trends in home theater displays, if anyone understands state of affairs or for possible future discussion:

1) What’s going on with short-throw projectors and how do they compare, image quality, against conventional front-projector projectors?

2) What’s the speaker setup with a giant 100”+ direct-view display and how does it compare to using an acoustically transparent screen? Are there speaker advancements that promise to mitigate the trade off?

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I have two nerd questions about recent trends in home theater displays, if anyone understands state of affairs or for possible future discussion:

1) What’s going on with short-throw projectors and how do they compare, image quality, against conventional front-projector projectors?

2) What’s the speaker setup with a giant 100”+ direct-view display and how does it compare to using an acoustically transparent screen? Are there speaker advancements that promise to mitigate the trade off?
good questions.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn

This year we've seen very nice UST technology advancements that have enhanced the performance and overall image quality with the new triple laser 4K HDR UST projectors. In fact, that is why I hosted our first UST Shootout Evalueaiton event. When you compare similarly priced long throw projectors to the new triple laser UST and if the room is totally light controlled and the walls and ceiling are painted matt black I would have a slight preference to some of the long throw projectors.

Your item #2 I believe is referring to Sony's new 100" X92 4K HDR TV, which does deliver a stunning picture quality. And now you threw in a new variable, acoustically transparent screen material. By the nature of how acoustically transparent screens are designed with either small perforations or a woven fabric the image is slightly degraded.

With all this said and just using Hisense's new L9G and Samsung's new LSP9T UST projectors you will enjoy a beautiful 100" or 120" image and you can use the system in moderate ambient light and a white ceiling and walls. All for around $5k.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This year we've seen very nice UST technology advancements that have enhanced the performance and overall image quality with the new triple laser 4K HDR UST projectors. In fact, that is why I hosted our first UST Shootout Evalueaiton event. When you compare similarly priced long throw projectors to the new triple laser UST and if the room is totally light controlled and the walls and ceiling are painted matt black I would have a slight preference to some of the long throw projectors.

Your item #2 I believe is referring to Sony's new 100" X92 4K HDR TV, which does deliver a stunning picture quality. And now you threw in a new variable, acoustically transparent screen material. By the nature of how acoustically transparent screens are designed with either small perforations or a woven fabric the image is slightly degraded.

With all this said and just using Hisense's new L9G and Samsung's new LSP9T UST projectors you will enjoy a beautiful 100" or 120" image and you can use the system in moderate ambient light and a white ceiling and walls. All for around $5k.
My perspective is the light-controlled home theater, the domain of the conventional projector until now.

Laser long-throw 4K projectors are $10k to $25k, say. But 4K UST appear to be more advanced for under $5k.

On the other side: projection was the only way to get a “cinematic” display >80”. But now there’s 80” displays and the new Sony 100” LCD priced the same as new 4K projectors.

Projectors allow AT screens and LCR speakers placed “correctly” behind the screen. A big direct view panel requires LR further to the sides and C under the display. Typically not recommended configuration.

Two years ago, I thought 4K home theater was sensible, with $5000 4K projectors coming by 2021. But 2022 is nigh and big-screen home theater is more complicated and more in upheaval than ever before.

I’m struggling to understand the new options and likely choices coming the next couple years. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks