What's new

Home Theater United Episode 30 - Black Friday with Todd Erwin (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I mentioned this very briefly on the podcast, but a great money-back service I've been using for the past year has netted me over $150 at the grocery store and online, offering nearly instant "cash back" on items you purchase. For example, I purchased my new TV from Best Buy using a link from Ibotta's website to Best Buy, and got an extra 2% back within 30 days into my Ibotta account (it netted me $30!), which I could then transfer to my PayPal account or cash in for a gift card at various retailers. Scanning my items at the grocery store often gives me some nice cash back offers, too, like $1.00 off on Peet's Coffee, often with a limit of 5 of that same item. I think I ended up paying $4.00 per 10-pack of K-cups after the Ibotta cash back.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If my 4K upgrade plans had borne out in 2021, I probably would have been doing a big BF 4K UHD purchase this year. But, nope.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think it’s awesome that Brian has a Sorny TV -- a superior machine!

(I owned KLH speakers and handme down TV's, so I get it :) )

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I mentioned this very briefly on the podcast, but a great money-back service I've been using for the past year has netted me over $150 at the grocery store and online, offering nearly instant "cash back" on items you purchase. For example, I purchased my new TV from Best Buy using a link from Ibotta's website to Best Buy, and got an extra 2% back within 30 days into my Ibotta account (it netted me $30!), which I could then transfer to my PayPal account or cash in for a gift card at various retailers. Scanning my items at the grocery store often gives me some nice cash back offers, too, like $1.00 off on Peet's Coffee, often with a limit of 5 of that same item. I think I ended up paying $4.00 per 10-pack of K-cups after the Ibotta cash back.
What's the catch? What's their income source? Am I the customer or am I the product being sold to advertisers?

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I think it’s awesome that Brian has a Sorny TV -- a superior machine!

(I owned KLH speakers and handme down TV's, so I get it :) )

Totes. The story is that my 73" Mitsubishi DLP TV had waaay too many stuck pixels, so we had to downsize because the only reasonable price for us was a 65" Sceptre POS.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
What's the catch? What's their income source? Am I the customer or am I the product being sold to advertisers?
I am sure they are collecting purchase data (but honestly, who isn't these days?), while some of the promos they offer are for new products, so that may be some of the incentive as well. They also earn commissions on items purchased through the app and website, as well as inactive fees (deducted from your ibotta wallet) if you account is not used for over 180 days.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Totes. The story is that my 73" Mitsubishi DLP TV had waaay too many stuck pixels, so we had to downsize because the only reasonable price for us was a 65" Sceptre POS.
You should continue calling it your Spectre TV.
film trailer GIF

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok, now you people have got me with a BestBuy shopping cart with John Wick 2 and 3 and Gattaca UHD 4K discs. They’ll all out of stock and ship between now and NYE. Trying to decide if I’m hitting the buy button or not.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam - The Imitation Game, Rogue
Brian - Lion
Todd - Only Murders in the Building

Imitation Game - missed it, feel like I need to add this to my missed-movies watching

Lion - Great movie! Recommended for everyone.

Only Murders in the Building - Recommended. Another example of AppleTV becoming a must-have streaming service.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ll do a GBU since I‘ve got stuff I’m guessing you all haven’t watched or haven’t watched in 40 years.

I watched First Blood (1982) for the first time last week and it was excellent. The core conceit of cops being against a white warfighter in a movie is so unexpected in 2021 it feels like I’m watching cutting-edge cinema. But the further shadings of Rambo as the misunderstood anti-hero, and a complicit military, add to its depth. The ending speaks of his struggle with PTSD and inability to find work and friendship post-war, making for a movie that on the whole has aged very well, almost 40 years later.

Sweet Tooth
Sweet Tooth is modern family-fare for those interested in post-apocalyptic sci-fi. I binged this in a week, watching flying cross country and in the hotel. This isn’t the greatest modern series, but it pulled me in. I couldn’t stop watching. The overarching story is original* and surprising and I want to know more about this world. All the actors were good. By the end, I was completely into it and I’m eagerly looking forward the second season! (*themes and the scifi elements are derivative, but it’s a good mix of these modern-classic tropes)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is it really that bad? I’d expect it to be better than an RPTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks