What's new

Home Theater United Episode 30 - Black Friday with Todd Erwin (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I’ll do a GBU since I‘ve got stuff I’m guessing you all haven’t watched or haven’t watched in 40 years.

I watched First Blood (1982) for the first time last week and it was excellent. The core conceit of cops being against a white warfighter in a movie is so unexpected in 2021 it feels like I’m watching cutting-edge cinema. But the further shadings of Rambo as the misunderstood anti-hero, and a complicit military, add to its depth. The ending speaks of his struggle with PTSD and inability to find work and friendship post-war, making for a movie that on the whole has aged very well, almost 40 years later.

Sweet Tooth
Sweet Tooth is modern family-fare for those interested in post-apocalyptic sci-fi. I binged this in a week, watching flying cross country and in the hotel. This isn’t the greatest modern series, but it pulled me in. I couldn’t stop watching. The overarching story is original* and surprising and I want to know more about this world. All the actors were good. By the end, I was completely into it and I’m eagerly looking forward the second season! (*themes and the scifi elements are derivative, but it’s a good mix of these modern-classic tropes)
Wow, first time seeing First Blood?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Imitation Game - missed it, feel like I need to add this to my missed-movies watching

Lion - Great movie! Recommended for everyone.

Only Murders in the Building - Recommended. Another example of AppleTV becoming a must-have streaming service.
Only Murders in the Building is a Hulu property and not AppleTV.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Wow, first time seeing First Blood?
Yeah! In 1982, I was too young to see it. And I never got to it later in life. Rambo -- by which I now understand is actually Rambo: First Blood Part 2 -- was so much in the collective consciousness of my youth that I'm no longer certain if I've ever see it or not either.

Only Murders in the Building is a Hulu property and not AppleTV.
Ah, right! I'm losing track, since I watch a lot of shows through the aTV app. I like Hulu but it has much slimmer selection of much-see TV. Murders was a good one to pop up on the service.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I’ll do a GBU since I‘ve got stuff I’m guessing you all haven’t watched or haven’t watched in 40 years.

I watched First Blood (1982) for the first time last week and it was excellent. The core conceit of cops being against a white warfighter in a movie is so unexpected in 2021 it feels like I’m watching cutting-edge cinema. But the further shadings of Rambo as the misunderstood anti-hero, and a complicit military, add to its depth. The ending speaks of his struggle with PTSD and inability to find work and friendship post-war, making for a movie that on the whole has aged very well, almost 40 years later.

Sweet Tooth
Sweet Tooth is modern family-fare for those interested in post-apocalyptic sci-fi. I binged this in a week, watching flying cross country and in the hotel. This isn’t the greatest modern series, but it pulled me in. I couldn’t stop watching. The overarching story is original* and surprising and I want to know more about this world. All the actors were good. By the end, I was completely into it and I’m eagerly looking forward the second season! (*themes and the scifi elements are derivative, but it’s a good mix of these modern-classic tropes)
I’m guessing bad on first blood and good on sweet tooth

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So related to the discussion topics, I've been talking about getting an OLED for some time, but like Brian, I've been holding off because of young kids and fingerprints.

However, with prices as they've been (and hoping that the prices will be lower if not the same next year at this time), I'm looking at November 2022 to finally get one. Given our house set up, it would actually go in our bedroom, up on a large dresser, which would give me a perfect viewing angle from our bed, and also get it out of reach of the kids. The only piece I wasn't sure of whether my wife would go for a 65" screen, which is just wide enough to sit on the dresser without looking out of proportion. But she's amenable to the idea.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Keep your eyes peeled for a critical cameo! Can't believe it's been 10 years!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
See! Cameron knows how to party! BTW, lots of cameos. Good catch on this one buddy.
Yeah, I'd kind of forgotten about all the other cameos. For some reason I thought Ms. Black didn't show up until the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks