What's new

Home Theater United Episode 30 - Black Friday with Todd Erwin (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I've already gotten at least a dozen. It's difficult to resist a 4K disc with a code for $10. The quick grab was Zack Snyder's Justice League, which was gone fast. I already watched that, and really enjoyed it.
Not a fan of Justice League so I passed on that one.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My buddy’s haul from yesterday. He has 7 more coming today:
1637155032327.jpeg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I got Terminator 6 and Mission Impossible 6 yesterday. They had been in my cart for a couple years but at $7.99 apiece for the 4K versions (so I can future proof myself for when/if I upgrade my system to that format) was worth it to me - just $2 more than the best price I had ever seen on the BD versions.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I needed this podcast 15 years ago when I was really into Black Friday. :) For a few years, I went out at 6am, stood in line, bought cheap USB thumb drives and $5 DVDs. I got something great, I forget what now, at a Circuit City! Got a Nintendo something for my sister at Target to give her husband. My wife joined me. It was a thing.

And then I lost interest. I had all the cheap stuff that BF sold, and didn’t need more USB thumb drives or $5 DVDs. Realizing I had five or ten years worth of unwatched black-Friday DVDs diminished the thrill of cheap discs. Plus, getting older, it was less and less how I wanted to spend precious vacation time.

The move of BF to online sales of course changed my attitude. I continued to check out sales. I bought about 50 blu-ray movies BF 2016 when I was doing the theater. (And of course, still have a bunch unwatched.) I got my Nintendo Switch on BF 2018 with a Target or BB sale. I bought three 4K discs two weeks ago with some early BF-ish sales.

I’ll check online sales. If magically the Denon 760 was on sale Black Friday, I would order it without hesitation.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’ll check online sales. If magically the Denon 760 was on sale Black Friday, I would order it without hesitation.
Yeah...

That'll happen...

FWIW, I'm at 15 titles. All UHDs for $10 or less except one splurge of the Citizen Kane Criterion UHD set. Possibly going to 16 if I break down on the Ran Steelbook. I suspect I'm done, because mostly the same titles keep going on sale again.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
And then I lost interest. I had all the cheap stuff that BF sold, and didn’t need more USB thumb drives or $5 DVDs. Realizing I had five or ten years worth of unwatched black-Friday DVDs diminished the thrill of cheap discs.

I had the same experience, though ive never actually done the in store version. In the past few years ive pivoted from buying things just because they were cheap to buying things when I want to watch them, for the most part. The costs of discs and other bargain items is negligible but the costs of storing all that stuff and having to pack and unpack every few years if you’re not a homeowner got to be too much.

What worked for me this year was to fill up my shopping cart in advance with things that I’ve been wanting to pick up, and then jumping on them if I got notified that the prices decreased. So I got some great deals on things I had already been planning on buying, without being tempted by things that hadn’t been on my radar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks