What's new

Japanese Spiderman TV series to be released on DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Official Site (In Japanese)

Specs:
- "New Print Component Transfer"
- All 41 episodes
- Color 1,003 minutes (this volume)
- 7 Single-sided dual-layer discs + 1 single-sided single-layer bonus disc
- Mono
- 4:3
- DSTD02367
- 45,000 Yen (47,250 Yen after tax)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
No offense. But, people complain about the lack of creativity of US tv/movie companies. Looking at that homepage...I can see the Japanese are catching up. Why don't they just make Voltron or Power Rangers? It looks like the same thing....Down to the giant robots and bizarre creatures to fight. :rolleyes

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's not really a matter of catching up. Don't forget, this sucker was made at least fifteen years ago (when I encountered and unsubbed, undubbed tape in college). Also, every entertainment industry in the world is chock-full of derivative, unimpressive product: We just generally only see the ones that are high-enough quality for someone to think that there's money to be made from importing them.

Robert Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
The show is from 1978 (same year as when the US did their own live-action Spider-Man series).

I haven't really seen an episode of it, but judging from the pictures on that site, it looks...well...interesting. I can't say if it's a good interesting or a bad interesting, but yeah.

I guess I'll have to see it to know for sure...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll be the first to say it:

This show looks AWESOME!

Did you see that Spidy-Car! KICK ASS!!

The Bakshi toons in the '69 collection weren't exactly true to spider-mans roots. And I can guarantee that on this one you wont have the same cartoon 4 times with minor changes.:emoji_thumbsup:

Randall Cyrenne

Stunt Coordinator
This show is sooooo bizarre. I've seen a few eps, and it has nothing to do with the comic. As stated, it has more in common with cheesy (but fun?) shows like Power Rangers.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
is this reg 1?

if not should this be in the regional dvd area?

MikeAB

Grip
I've seen a couple episodes of this show and it was basically the live-action Spider-man series meets Power Rangers. It wasn't subbed or dubbed, but the general plot didn't seem too complicated. If the episodes were subbed, I would consider buying the set other than that 45000 yen price tag, which is insane.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
WTF was that? That looks about as cheesy as the Mark Hammond series that was created back in the eighties with the "rope-webbing" that someone off screen tossed across the television screen making like "he" cast his web. ARGH!

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
More info about the series on IMDB.

I agree that the series is not worth the ~$380 they are charging for it (based on the three episodes that I have seen).

There was a small reference to this Japanese series in the last episode of the 1990s animated Spiderman series that ran on FOX. In this episode, Spiderman meets a bunch of other Spidermen from other dimensions, one of them says "I drive a giant robot!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks