What's new

James Bond Ultimate Editions DEFECT LIST - Glitch Reports Only, Please! (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
The purpose of this thread is to compile all of the defects that have been discovered with the James Bond Ultimate Edition DVDs (Region 1).

This thread will not only list the reported 'glitches' (such as freeze-ups and stutters) but will also list the layer change information for each DVD, so that owners of the DVDs can differentiate the points of layer-changes, and actual defects. Listing the brand/model of the DVD player used will also help.

Issues such as cropping, color balance, edge enhancement, camera 'shake' (or lack thereof), title placement and other 'artistic' decisions (goof-ups) are not technically software 'defects' and should continue to be discussed in the original JAMES BOND ULTIMATE COLLECTION thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...240365&page=32

I'll start out with the defects that have already been reported, and will add to the list as HTF members contribute.

Also, if anyone has correct contact info for MGM, that would be much appreciated. :)

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Stutters/freeze-ups reported at CHAPTER 14 (0:00:28) and CHAPTER 18 (0:03:46)

-no layer change info yet-

OCTOPUSSY
There have been reports of stuttering in CHAPTER 19 (1:12:49), but that seems to be the layer change point.

MOONRAKER
Stutters at CHAPTER 15 (0:01:02), CHAPTER 15 (0:03:29)
Freeze-up at 0:59:26 (don't know chapter # yet) .

Layer Change at 0:56:59

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
There have been reports of players not recognizing discs.

NOTE: The special features discs on all the films load in some players with the menus in an Asian language, probably from region 3. This appears to be have something to do with players that are either region-free or region-settable, but the exact cause isn't yet known.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Just to update the info on Moonraker as you have ? next to some items.

The layer change is at 56:59

The freeze up/pause glitch is at 59:26

And also the stutter in Octopussy that occurs at the 1:12:49 mark is the layer change.

Edmundo Lopez

Auditioning
I have a denon 2910 dvd player and all the special features discs I've tried come up in chinese (warnings and menu). Anybody else experiencing this problem?

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
OK- I was wondering about that- that seems like the approximate place that a layer change would be. I guess that's not a defect then, since a lot of DVD players just don't handle certain layer changes well.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Same here, but only with that player. On my other players, the features discs play normally. Must be some rarefied hardware quirk.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Thanks, Miel R., for undertaking to create and maintain this thread! It's a great service to all owners of the Bond UEs.

All posts that do not involve the reporting of glitches (as defined in Miel's initial post) will be relocated to the main discussion thread.

M.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

EXCEPT that my player, the Denon 2900, handles layer changes extremely well. If it hiccups at the layer change you can be pretty certain that there's something up with the disc.

So yes, I'm absolutely sure the disc is defective.

John

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator

Yes, same problem in my Philips (and my old Daewoo multi-standard, and my Dell PC's DVD-ROM). With all the UEs.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
{light blub clicks on overhead} Are all of those region-free? The Denon 2910 is easily modified to be region-free, and mine is.

Question for Edmundo Lopez: Is your Denon modified to be region-free?

OK, I just tried a spec. features disc in one player that's in my bedroom system, a region-free Philips 642, and that has the same problem. If it turns out that this is how the features discs behave in all region-free players, then it's an open question whether that's officially a "glitch". But it's certainly worth listing here.

M.

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
I've had no problems with any of the above discs in my Sony. These are the R1 but I do live in Canada. Maybe they're from a different manufacturer?

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator
Many of these players aren't region-free, per se, they're region-settable. I find that setting mine to Region 1 only doesn't change the result. It may be related, however.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Checked all of the "problem" discs. Not a stutter, not a freeze, not a glitch to be found. Now the misframed GOLDENEYE and the EE on THE SPY WHO LOVED ME, that's another story...

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Please can everybody with/without problems please include:
a) their player make and model
b) the country where their discs were bought

Thanks!

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Denon 2200 & Panasonic DMR-EH50S are my 2 units. And all my discs are R1.

Any posts/replys that I have made regarding problems have been done on the Denon 2200.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Hmmm...I watched "The Living Daylights" and my player exploded. :rolleyes

Seriously, no problems with any disks with regards to playback. Region 1, Sony NS725-P.

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I know Denons are known for their lightening-quick layer changes.

When the non-anamorphic Star Wars Trilogy DVDs came out, some people reported a pop or stutter at the layer change in Star Wars. My Sony player stuttered, but my RCA player didn't (I don't know how well other players like Denon and Oppo handle the disc). My Sony isn't the greatest for layer changes, it usually pauses for a second or 2 on most DVDs.

It looks like it's getting to the point where we're just going to have to live with some problems with certain disc/player combinations. I don't like it either, but it seems like the companies are getting lazy and are focusing more of their attention on the hi-def media.

However, I don't mean to imply that there aren't some real defects with the Bond UEs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks