What's new

Jake 2.0 (1 Viewer)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thought I'd start a thread since I'm currently watching it. So far, pretty lame. Inconsistant use of his powers. (What, he can't smash down a door, but seems to have great strength otherwise?) And a lot of this seems stock. Gotta have the cute geek girl who's only glasses away from looking beautiful. There are better things for my time..

Jason

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it's nothing spectacular, but never the less I found it a fun way to spend an hour on a Wenesday night. While I found nothing special about the show, there wasn't very much of a groan factor like I'd expected.

The reason he couldn't open the door: it's an interrogation room. It stands to reason that those doors would be made of much stronger stuff than your average door. But to be fair, I don't such doors would open in the event of a fire alarm. If the building needs to be evacuated, there are people watching the room to get who ever might be in there out. Otherwise, having the doors auto-unlock via fire alarm would be a serious security breach.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
In the scene where he is doing the pull ups their is a song playing. I don't know the title or the band. But, it has the line "I feel invincible..."

thanks!

Rocky F

Second Unit
I have been looking forward to this, and thought it was a pretty standard origin story. When he went into his room and fell on the bed, I was afraid they were going to steal directly from Spiderman. The reviews for this have been very positive, so I'll keep watching and hope that it rises up to it's potential, and doesn't stay as standard as the pilot. I know one of the Angel writers is on board, David Greenwalt I think.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I too, had trouble believing his powers, specifically, his ability to wirelessly override complex computer systems. How exactly do nanites come up with the hardware on a microscopic level to transmit radio signals and interface with the system? Do all computers, even those in stoplights, now have WI-FI built in? I could buy that he touched the computer and some nanites embedded themselves in it, thus carrying out his commands, but to just look at a stoplight and it changes colors. No siree, not buying that one.

With all the rave reviews, I really expected it to be more than your very average point A to point B story. I'd have to be bored and not have anything else to watch to catch this show next week.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I really wanted to like it but I thought it was like a bad 80s movie with every cliche in the book on screen.

I wasnt amused.
I did not even find it fun.

And to think TV guide gave this one of the top ratings for the new Season?

Yikes, we're in trouble.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Gotta have the cute geek girl who's only glasses away from looking beautiful.
Hey, she looks pretty darn good with them on - one of those girls where the glasses give some shape to her face. Jake's cleary obsessing over the second-cutest girl on the show.

It's a kind of cute show, and we'll see how it goes next week when David Greenwalt starts making his presence known, but it appears to be just as disposable as most action hours; I certainly won't skip Angel to watch it once the other show starts up.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I thought it was decent. For UPN its a step in the right direction, has anyone watched anything "original" on UPN ever? I will tune in for awhile to see if it finds its sea legs

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It felt like a Spider-man origin mixed with some John Doe elements and all-too-convenient abilities, but with Jake getting infected by nanomites instead of a radioactive spider. I think the electronic chirping is going to drive me nutty.

Enterprise also started its new season last night. Please check out that thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=158278

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
This has elements of Spiderman, Now and Again, and Six Million Dollar Man, in the sense of a guy suddenly getting super powers, but coming under the control of a non-descript government agency. I wish UPN wouldn't pick on NSA for these shows. What ever happened to fictional agencies like the Office of Scientific Intelligence?

I think this is up against Angel, but it seems to be more a direct answer to Smallville. Unfortunately, neither of the female love interests have the appeal of Kristin Kreuk or Allison Mack. I wouldn't expect this show to last much longer than mid-season, because we've already seen this show, and done much better on the WB.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Jake's cleary obsessing over the second-cutest girl on the show.
Again, another overused Hollywood convention. :rolleyes

It is possible that it could get better, but so far it is playing like generic superpowered guy show.

Jason

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Having worked in the insurance industry for a few years and taken classes on risk management, anytime I see sprinklers used incorrectly in movies and TV (which is, like, always) I tune out. Which is exactly what I did after that scene in Jake 2.0. Barring anyone in Hollywood getting it right, could they at least not use it as a crutch for lazy writing? There are other ways to distract people.

With a match? Not nearly hot enough...
Typical sprinklers go off at 165F (and smoke itself won't set them off -- sprinklers are there to save property, not lives). A match is much hotter than that, but the question is whether you can heat the sprinkler to 165F enough before the match burns out. However, you don't even need a match -- you can just break the solder or glass tube that keeps the sprinkler from going off.

I forgot if the whole place got wet. Filmmakers love to show people evacuating a building as water falls from every sprinkler and splashes everywhere. This is not the way it works -- sprinklers are designed to work in localized areas. If all the sprinklers went off, the drop in water pressure would cause all the sprinklers to trickle and become ineffective. They did this with Ben Affleck in Changing Lanes (who used smoke no less!) but for once I'd like to see a character set off a fire sprinkler in one room as a diversion only to find that he's the only one getting wet.

Oh yeah -- if the show gets some buzz I'll tune back in, but I wasn't to0 chuffed with what I saw.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Pretty much a no go for me. Jake and the cute scientist were not bad, but the rest of the cast was weak, especially the female department head and the fellow working under her. Near the end the show his telephone conversation with Jake reminded me of those Japanese Sci-Fi movies made in the 1950's.

It's UPN so they can't match the production values of shows like Alias, but then don't show your cheesy operation room, etc. Jake and his control could be run from the field. In Mission Impossible their only connection with the suits was a lowly tape recorder.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to ask again. But, does anyone know the name of the song that played while he was doing the pullups? It had the line "I feel invincible".

Thanks again!

Al Shing

Stunt Coordinator
This show has about 2 more weeks to convince me it's worth recording once Angel starts its new season. David Greenwalt coming on board is a help, but I don't see this series becoming another Miracles.

Plot holes are really easy to find.

NSA intercepts intelligence, but never acts upon it. Instead, it forwards the intelligence to the CIA and FBI, whose job it is to act on the intelligence. Thus, NSA has no gun carrying agents like on this show.

A plane crashes and NSA is on the scene investigating it. That is actually the NTSB's job.

So who didn't know that the first scene was a holodeck simulation? It just seemed obvious from the start.

This series is actually becoming more like the Six Million Dollar Man than any of the other shows it is derived from.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks