What's new

I've got a new dog! (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Adorable pics.

My Scooter is having problems with her legs. Of course, don't tell her that. She races to be #1 on our daily walks and is able to jump on the chair and the bed (people bed, not doggie). But she gets stiff too. She also has a "bubble" under her skin near her leg. So we're doing a vet visit next week. She's about 13. Such a happy girl, but she'd never bother the rest of us with complaints of pain or anything.

Here she is waiting for the van to take her to the Weight Watchers Meeting. :p

scoothoney04252010019.jpg
I posted this in 2015. I just wanted to let everyone know Scooter left me yesterday and I'm working through some terrible grief. I know their are many friends I have here who understand what this feels like. I'm typing through tears but listing her passing here I know will help with the long healing this will need. She was a special little presence who only wanted to make people happy. She did her "cute thing" for me which was bite at the white tip of her tail, she knew that made me very happy and sometimes she would do it so much I was telling her to stop and laughing. I told her all the time that she had the best ears and that made her happy. I told her that one last time before wrapping her up in her favorite Monster's University blanket then in an old quilt they have slept on for years. I put her "Purple Bear" under her arm. She looks like she's sleeping.

Here's a picture of her from last week next to Honey Bun.
2020 0311 scooter honey ed.jpg

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Thank you for the kind words. I've had these losses before and it never gets easy. Bear and Goldie, mother and daughter, died within a year of each other about 12/13 years ago. All I had left was Scooter and she was wonderful. I latched on to her during that and she sure didn't mind. All you ever had to do was ask for a nice kiss on the nose and you'd get it. :) But the feeling is so empty at times. Johnny what you said is so true.

I've been reading for help and found this nice reddit which I'll quote. I really liked this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Petloss/comments/bsab39/anyone_else_declining_after_pet_loss/

"What you're experiencing is totally normal, and yes, really, really hard. One problem is that our society (and apparently your family) doesn't recognize pets as legit losses. However, in actuality, we often have a love for our pets that is more pure and more deep than we do with humans. Plus, if you're like many of us with an older pet, the end stage is full of massive amounts of care as their health declines - which means that often, we're hyper-focused on the animal, with meds or caretaking or whatever. And then blamo, they're gone, and not only is that love yanked out from under us, and that precious little warm body is no longer there, but we don't know what to do with ourselves - we had all these things to stay focused on, it was always in the mind, worry and thoughts of your dog, and now there's this vacuum of nothing.

Even if your dog passed away without a long illness, still she was always in your attention: wake up, let the dog out (or take her for a walk). Come home from work early enough to let her out again. Feed her, food shopping for her, all of that. And again, now this vacuum - this horrible empty spot in your life, where none of your routines matter anymore because your pupper is no longer there. It can feel like nobody needs you. It's really tough."

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
So sorry for the loss of your dear companion :(

The only thing that helped me when my last furry little family member (Marty) passed away, besides time, was thinking about all his goofy quirks. They still make me smile to this day. But we all know your pain right now. Be strong!!!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aw, James....

I'm just seeing this now. I know so well how much you love your dogs.

You and Scooter gave each other exactly what you each needed...all because of the great bond and love that you shared. The pain of your separation only hurts so much because that bond between you was so great.

What a sweet pup...and, yes, those ears! :D

Honey Bun and Kayla will help you through this...just like you'll help them deal with their loss, too. Because that is how y'all take good care of each other. Are they behaving okay in her absence? It's going to take them awhile before they aren't expecting to see Scooter all the time, too.

Congratulations on having such a special, deep relationship. There are so many people who never experience that.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Aw, James....

You and Scooter gave each other exactly what you each needed...all because of the great bond and love that you shared. The pain of your separation only hurts so much because that bond between you was so great.

Honey Bun and Kayla will help you through this...just like you'll help them deal with their loss, too. Because that is how y'all take good care of each other. Are they behaving okay in her absence? It's going to take them awhile before they aren't expecting to see Scooter all the time, too.

Congratulations on having such a special, deep relationship. There are so many people who never experience that.
Aw, James....

Your comments bring tears. Thank you for taking to time to say such nice things. Scooter got me through Bear and Goldie dying in 2007 and 2008. She was so full of energy back in those days, watching a video yesterday left me smiling so much at she and Goldie. I wish all of HTF dogs fans could have met Scooter. She loved everybody she met and was generous with kisses on your nose. I remember the last one I got from her I believe the weekend before. There is so much to say after her long life I'm going to have to be ready to do it.

I believe Kayla was with her when she passed. Honey stayed in the kitchen since I was going to be serving their canned food snack after Scooter had some rest and give her a viena sausage with antibiotic inside. She had been eating well up until her last few days, but her canned (we called "canada") the night before she ate very fast while laying on her side. I asked Kayla to come see Scooter before I buried her. And I did the same to Honey Bun who was shy and I think didn't understand. Kayla will get us both through this. Honey looks upset. She's also dealing with the problems I was going to post about soon. She has lung cancer, so she coughs sometimes but not a lot (my vet said to look for blood but I haven't seen any) and has limited energy. She is still able to sing with TV show songs, loves Gilligan's Island lately. And rarely has to stop to cough. She also has neurological problems where she sometimes has noticeable tremors and medium sized spasms. She needs help pooping (lots of wet wipes) and has trouble staying steady when standing for a time. Best thing about Honey is she is always ready for big hugs and lays herself around you as you hug.

I try to remember that. All those years I'm lucky. And I'm so glad I saved her from the street. She repaid me and everybody else with nothing but sweet happiness.

From left: Scooter, Kayla and Honey Bun. This was Nov 23rd 2019 at the park down from my house.

scooter honey kayla 2.jpg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It is just amazing, and sometimes sobering how fast time goes by.

I vowed never to get another dog after Taffy died at 14. Painful. Yet a year later(2014) I got another dog, Baxter.
Here he is with the hat my niece put on him, 6 years ago.
IMG_0155.JPG

He is such a goofball. Life wouldn't be fun without him.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Bryan!

How have you been hiding Baxter from us on the forum all this time?!?

He is AWESOME!!!

Time DOES go by fast. But what better way to pass through time than with buddies like Baxter and Taffy. :D

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I can't tell if Baxter likes wearing that wonderful hat but he knows everybody else does like him wearing it.

I think having more than 1 helps a lot. Just like Mike said they get you through it. Honey has been sick throwing up 3 times and Kayla got a tight bloated tummy. :( I messed up and allowed them to have the whole can of food but I'll refrig some tonight. Both are fine I believe. I'm about to walk them and see how they do.

Update: Kayla stayed home on the walk. Honey got tired fast but she did ok. I gave them only half a can of food and they have done really well.

Last edited:

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I've been backing up home videos/pictures on my HDs and found one of the first pictures I took of Scooter. This was transferred to my PC in January of 2005. I'm sure I got her in late 2004. She was probably born in early 2004 and not late 2003. "Scooter" was supposed to be a temporary name but it took too long for my slow brain to work out that she looks like Gizmo from Gremlins. Her reserved nature didn't last long as the second picture shows. :D

And her best ears really show. That's her shelf or handlebars look. The second her Princess Leia.

2020 0320 scooter 2005.JPG
2020 0320.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks