1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I've got a new dog!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike Frezon, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

And thanks for all the well wishes, guys.

I AM feeling much better right now. It was another one of those scary moments (combined with a hospital stay) for me. Seems like I'm just going to have to accept this weirdness as SOP for me! :rolleyes:

After a tough week though, I'm getting back into the swing of things. All good.

PMF, B-ROLL, holtge and 3 others like this.
  2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Executive Producer

Dennis
    cat console dog.

Ashly Yeo, Danielee123, PMF and 4 others like this.
  3. RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin
    Yes, Layla is a Border Collie, and it’s definitely new territory for us to have a cat and a dog.

Giddy, the cat, turned up a few weeks ago and took our kindness towards her as an invitation to move in. We put notices up locally and in online lost & founds. No one claimed her and she wasn’t tagged, so you could say she adopted us.

Their interactions so far have not been unlike your descriptions of Moses and Kelly in early posts here. Layla’s instincts are to herd anything that moves, including Giddy. Giddy on the other hand doesn’t appreciate this fluffy upstart getting into her space and face and has taken a few swings at her.

The other present concern we have for Layla, is the prevalence of deadly snakes in our semi-rural property, especially tiger snakes and copperheads. We are heading towards winter here, so snakes will be less active. That should hopefully provide us with a time window to train Layla to keep well away from them using rubber snakes and the like (very open to the suggestions/experience of others in this regard).

PMF likes this.
  4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Peg, Pete and I sat down to watch A Dog's Way Home last night (Ernie preferred a nap!).

But Ernie missed a surprisingly good little film.

[​IMG]

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from A Dog's Way Home, but was pleasantly surprised. It is essentially a by-the-numbers fiction of a pet making a long trek home to return to its owners. Think of Disney's The Incredible Journey or Homeward bound films--or 1995's Far From Home: Adventures of Yellow Dog.

Giving the film it's backbone however is that it is based on a strong book by W. Bruce Cameron and the screenplay was co-written by Cameron and his wife Cathryn Michon so it was very faithful to the original work.

For the uninitiated, this is NOT a sequel to the movie A Dog's Purpose based on Cameron's book by the same name which starred Dennis Quaid and released in 2017. Confusingly, that sequel is called A Dog's Journey and will be released to theaters on May 17th. A Dog's Way Home follows much of Cameron's canine conceits--most based on trying to get inside the dog's mind--but is a stand-alone story.

Great vocal performance by Bryce Dallas Howard as Bella--the title character. The film also includes nice performances by Ashley Judd, a near-unrecognizable Edward James Olmos, and newcomer Jonah Hauer-King.

The story is well told and features an even blend of drama, comedy and canine fun.

The film's major downfall is the use of CGI which took me out of the film every time I saw it (which was a little too often for my tastes. There was a character of a cougar--along with a pack of wild dogs--which were entirely CGI throughout the film and, I'm afraid to say, not very well done CGI in my opinion. As amazing as the technology is (especially for someone like me who can't draw stick figures) it just doesn't look real when applied to animals. They don't move naturally. They also CGI'd the Bella the dog at various times throughout the movie (from puppyhood to climactic fight scenes) and it is a very obvious transition. I'm usually pretty forgiving of such cinematic tricks...but CGI animals don't work for me.

There are some great bonus features--including one very well-done piece on how the trainers rescued the dog who played Bella and taught her the role and all the various things she had to learn how to do. Quite revealing and interesting.

And although Ernest snoozed his way through the film, it completely held Pete's interest throughout. Mine, too. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PMF, ChristopherG and Jeff Flugel like this.
  5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    As I recall, there were complaints about the CGI in the movie thread during the theatrical release, as well.

Robert Crawford likes this.
  6. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Hooray for Layla finding her way into your home! Our dog, Stanley, is a rescue found wandering the streets but we're quite sure he's from a home that had a cat. He has some cat-like habits such as sleeping on the back of the couch, and sitting with his front paws tucked under him. He also seems to prefer to play with his boarders cat whenever he's there over the other dogs.

I'm always amazed when dogs watch tv. I've tried to get Stanley to look at dogs on tv but he shows no interest. I should find some squirrel videos and see if that works.

PMF and RMajidi like this.
  7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Paul: Peg and I have had eight dogs together (at quick count) over the years. Pete is the FIRST ever to actually watch the action on the TV screen! It freaks us out! And he gets tipped-off to see what's going-on on screen by audio cues. He hears animals, he turns to check things out. Once they are off-screen for a short while, he gets bored and loses interest.

But he really did watch quite a bit of A Dog's Way Home. The main character was on screen for most of the film!

PMF and questrider like this.
  8. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David
    So glad you're doing better.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Perhaps he's a reincarnated cinephile. :emoji_clapper:

PMF, holtge and questrider like this.
  10. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Oh. THAT'S where Ebert went! :laugh:

PMF, holtge and questrider like this.
  11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Hmmmmm. "Siskel" and "Ebert" would be pretty good dog names...

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    [​IMG]

13. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    She's gorgeous!

14. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Canoe-Dog.

PMF and Mike Frezon like this.
  15. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I've had a bunch of people ask me recently about the therapy dog work we do with Ernie (and soon with Pete!).

We always point back to THIS STORY which Peg wrote about an experience she had during my big health scare back in 2014. Guideposts Magazine has re-run the story on its website. It was that experience which pushed her to get us more involved in dog rescue and therapy training after my recovery.

16. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter
    Supporter

Jeff Flugel
    That's a great story your Peg wrote, Mike!

17. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis
    Dog-with-a-tank-gun.

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Pete and Ernie say, "Happy Independence Day!"

[​IMG]

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

This thread was started seven years ago as Peg and I began to adopt senior Golden retrievers and experience a love with these "old souls" of dogs who have given us so much for the small cost of some kibble and care.

Today, Peg and I went to see a movie narrated by a senior Golden retriever...and loved it greatly.

[​IMG]

My thoughts on the film are posted HERE.

PMF likes this.
  20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Peg snapped this pic on her phone of me & Pete the other day...

[​IMG]

PMF, dana martin, RMajidi and 5 others like this.