What's new

It's the first Tuesday of November! (Duration of waiting in line?) (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
90 minute wait (I arrived at 8:45 at my polling place in Manhattan). I have been voting regularly since 1984 and have never seen a line this big.

quote:It took me about 5 minutes at was quite slow, of course it was on 7:30 am.

Just curious: what state are you in?

Anyway, PLEASE VOTE!

Ted

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
About 40 minutes.

The cold front that came through last night surprised many people that were dressed in warm weather clothing.

brrrr.......

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Mob scenes where I voted. Took about 2 hours and the lines were getting longer and longer.

Jeff

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
about 20 minutes through the entire process, not bad.

Question: Is it illegal (or forbidden) to be talking on a cell phone when you near the polls (or at least the lines)??

I was talking to my girlfriend and approcahing the school, when I was like "Uh oh, I think I need to get off the phone." She agreed, but I was just curious if this was a law?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The pollsters requested that cell phones be turned off once you get to the area where the paperwork started for each voter, otherwise, in the main waiting areas, cell phone use was not prohibited. YMMV, of course.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Just curious. How many were asked for an ID.

I cannot say if I was because the poll worker who checked me in recognized me as a friend of her son's from over 22 years ago in high school and youth hockey. Good memory!

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I waited about an hour, and I went at 9:30am, usually a breeze-right-in time.

Some people were about to vote for the wrong guy. Luckily, I brought my gun...
wink.gif
Just kidding of course.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm bitter. Took me two hours, but if my name had started with a letter between A-K, it would have taken 40 minutes...at the exact same place
furious.gif

As for right candidate, wrong candidate...no such thing
wink.gif
Everybody should vote, have it counted, and let the chips fall where they may
biggrin.gif

We had touchscreens...no paper trail or connection to my in any way. Not sure I like that. I can state that the WRITE-IN section works.

So go vote...it's worth it, and you get a sticker that shows you give a shit.

Still bitter (fucking A through K's...),
Chuck

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
we were asked for ID, funny thing is my GF is a registerred voter in CO but does not carry a CO driver's license, they wouldn't let her vote even though she showed her CO voter registration card.

She's calling the coter hotline now and I guess the guy is pretty upset
laugh.gif

We used scantron forms, fill in the bubble blah blah.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Phillip:

Yeah, Colorado has as a state law requiring photo ids, many states do.. and out of state licence doesn't help her because if she has to show residency of 30 days or more.. (which, by law, if she's lived in Colorado more then 30 days, she's legally required to change her drivers licence)

I feel for her pain. Does she have any other photo ID?

22 states do require photo ID (I wish all did) .. I'm sure the guy on the hotline will be all hot and bothered, though.

If she has any other photo ID, she has an opportunity to go back, or she may have the option to vote with a provisional ballot.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
I wasn't asked for any I.D. I never have before either (all 4-5 times I've voted in the past.) That is a rather bothersome fact.

There was only one guy in front of me, and there were only 2 machines... one of which was broken.

Phillip, can she get a state ID in a day? I know we can here in PA. They take your picture, and 5 mintues later they print you out an ID. Of course, I've never tried to do that on an election day, and I've never had to prove my residence either... so it might not be as easy for her.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It only took me 15 minutes at 10:30. But the line was about 70 deep (they were very efficient). Usually there's only 5-10 people there.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
quote:I wasn't asked for any I.D. I never have before either (all 4-5 times I've voted in the past.) That is a rather bothersome fact.

Some states do not require ID. HOWEVER, if your vote is challenged (this can occur if you cannot prove your residency, as in an out of state drivers licence, etc.) then you can be required to show an ID.

This is "partly" about the national election, but a lot about local elections, where local issues (ballot referendums, state senators and house members, dog catchers, etc.) would be directly impacted.
smile.gif

In 2000, less then 16 states required a picture ID, now 22 do. I figure by 2008, hopefully 30 or so will.
smile.gif

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
quote:but if my name had started with a letter between A-K, it would have taken 40 minutes...at the exact same place
Yeah, they had 2 lines for me. The lines were broken by street names. A-M in one line and N-Z in another. The A-M (which I was in) was REALLY long, yet there was NO ONE in the N-Z line. A lady walked in and went right on through the N-Z line without any wait.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks