What's new

Is this new HTPC any good? (1 Viewer)

mzmiat97

Auditioning
Real Name
mazda
I was doing some searching around the web trying to find an HTPC without me having to build one. Can anyone recommend a good HTPC company that wont break my wallet? Is bodhiboxes any good?

www.bodhiboxes.com

Please let me know. I want something small and quiet yet good for HD content yet not too expensive.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have never heard of them but they look like the have a nice setup. Currently I have an HP Pavilion Elite e9220y that I picked up from Best Buy for $799.

Stats:

• • Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • • AMD Phenom II X4 910 processor (2.6GHz)
  • • 8GB PC3 8500 DDR3 SDRAM
  • • 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 graphics
  • • 1TB 5400 rpm hard drive
  • • SuperMulti DVD burner with LightScribe
  • • Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n
  • • 15-in-1 digital media card reader on front panel
  • • HP MediaSmart software
I picked up a pair of Hauppauge WinTV-2250 dual tuner cards so I can record 4 shows at one time. I also swapped out the DVD drive with a Blu-ray. All told I have about $1,100 invested.

HP also makes it with the new i7 chip set with a Blu-ray drive and dual tuner for around $1,500.

The system I have is very quiet and runs without any hitches.

Parker

Skynet

Auditioning
Real Name
Dillion
mzmiat- I was looking around for a pre-made HTPC myself. I found that company bodhiboxes over on another forum. I also found some other units from other manufactures as well. The bodhiboxes from a price standpoint looked good but I do not know enough about it. The census is that they are relatively new.

parker- I looked up that unit you posted and it did not fair too well in a cnet review. They mentioned something about power efficiently being poor. The price is tempting though :)

mzmiat97

Auditioning
Real Name
mazda
Well I looked up the HP machine. It seems too big for my cabinate. I also want something that already comes with blu ray and all the hook ups for my home theater. Basically I just want to plug it in and watch a movie. So I think the bodhi has an upper hand here.. and they cost the same. I will email the guys at bodhiboxes and ask them a few questions. I think the wireless keyboard, mouse and media center remote come standard too. I only with their base hard drive was bigger hehe.

mzmiat97

Auditioning
Real Name
mazda
Alright.. I went ahead and bought a Bodhibox. I think it should do everything I need it to. I'll keep you guys posted. :)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Great. Looks like a fine machine. I have always wondered why HP, Dell, etc. abandoned the HTPC cases that were more like regular pieces of HT hardware and went back with the standard PC boxes. HP used to make a nice box but they wanted too much for it at the time. If HP would make a box like they used to with the parts and software they have out now I am sure it would sell. They just need to price it in the same range as their desktops.

mzmiat97

Auditioning
Real Name
mazda
Ok I posted pictures of the HD model they have. Check it out.

Seems to be pretty solid. They claim it to be "green" and quiet and small too so it fits in a HT cabinate. Well its just another htpc option out there.

mzmiat97

Auditioning
Real Name
mazda
I tried to post some pictures of the bodhibox unit but its being held for "moderation" so who knows when the post will come out.

Anyway if you want to check them out go to bodhiboxes.com/products

Let me know what you think!

mzmiat97

Auditioning
Real Name
mazda
Yeah as a matter of fact I did receive it shortly after I wrote that last post. I am happy to report that its a great little box! Its small enough to fit in my cabinate without me having to rearrange anything. I have been using it to stream movies from my home server and play some blu-ray movies. Another great aspect about it is that I can watch hulu on my 1080p television using the hulu desktop application that I downloaded from the hulu website. Also using programs like XBMC and Boxee makes the bodhibox a dream to use and it works with the media center remote that the bodhi came with. I use the pandora app on Boxee to play songs all the time. Overall I am one happy customer!

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Parker, I was wanting to buy that PC, that you mentioned in your original post, but, Best Buy no longer sells that system. It really sucks because I was wanting to buy that model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks