What's new

Good replacement for Yamaha DSP-A1? (1 Viewer)

dudeman

Auditioning
Real Name
MB
Hi, first post...

I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/dsp-a1_black__u/), which was the flagship recevier/amplifier in the early to mid 2000's. It's at least 10 years and is in excellent condition (I don't run it hard since I live in a condo). However, the front LCD no longer works and while I could have it fixed, given its age and new technology, I'm wondering what my options would be with today's technology that I might consider.

It's been a while since I've researched recevier/amplifiers so I'm a bit out of touch, hence this post.

Here's what I'm using it for to give you a sense of what might be a good recommendation:
  • HTPC - hooked up to play games and watch Netflix (mostly action genre)
  • HTPC - All music is high bit mp3 or FLAC (mostly rock, house/EDM)
  • Playstation 4 games and occaisonal dvd or blueray
  • Primary focus is on listening to music and playing PS4.
  • 5.1 is fine
  • I run Paradigm Cinema Phantom v3 series fronts and center, fairly balanced overall in tonality with a slight skew to less brittle highs (if that makes sense). Details here: http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/paradigm_system_three2.htm
  • I also run a small Yamaha sub and two average sized B&W rears.
  • No other pre-amps or anything.
  • HTPC and PS4 via HDMI to my TV and Optical out from TV to the Yamaha.
  • Don't think I need any bluetooth/ipod connectivity
  • Not planning on critiquing classical music or need the most natural sounding processing. I also don't need crazy bass boost either.
  • I like a punchy clear sound who's dynamic range can be dialed down at night.
  • I would like a reasonable number of good processor effects (the DSP-A1 has too many imo)

I don't plan on changing any of the other components. Given all of this, can you recommend something under US$1000 that would be comparable or good as a replacement?

Thanks so very much!

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Older post that I'm responding to, but I recently updated from n RXV663 to RXV775, and love it. Its well below the level of your old AVR, but has network functions (web control, IOS and Android device control) that I love. The 775 has the great music options that I liked in my 663, as well as pre-outs, 2nd HDMI out. It's not the latest model, I got mine at Costco, but the price on other retailers is below the nose-bleed level.

Hope this helps a little....

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I don't see any reason not to go for another Yamaha, especially since you like the sound. There are quite a few models in and under your price range that should be perfectly fine for your uses. Honestly, the DSP-A1 is massive overkill for how you are using it, a mid or even entry level model would probably cover everything you are doing now and still have plenty of room for expansion. A refurb or older medle would also be a good option.

Try Accessories4Less.com, they have a large selection of previous version and refurbished Yamahas at very good prices.

dudeman

Auditioning
Real Name
MB
Thanks guys. I've had some time to think about it since I posted the question, and I realized I can output the A1's configuration details to my TV as an overlay via a single RGB cable. So, I think I'm ok keeping it a few years longer.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks