What's new

is there a lifespan on lasers? (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I ask this because I am planning to buy a stand alone DVD/DVD-A player and i like to go to sleep with music playing. now the thing is i currently just toss a CD into my old player, or put on some MP3's with my computer and just leave it repeating all night till i wake up. But I am concerned that doing this with DVD-A discs could cut the life span of my player drastically, and if that is the case i can easily live with CD's or MP3's as listening to music as i go to sleep isn't exactly my most critical listening time.

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
I think there is a lifespan on everything, but if it is well built, it should last a very very long time.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I dont know how much it helps you out but, my DVD player has 22,167 hours for DVD & 29 hours for CD of use on it & its still going strong.

I know your probley wondering WTF? One Sony DVD players there is a somewhat service menu on them that will tell you the houres used & for what type of disk. Pretty cool if ya ask me.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
WOW, hey can you tell me how to access this? i have a sony DVP NS300 (or rather ym parents do) and do you know if this can be done with a PS2?

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
John, if it is your parents player I would hope you get there consent before trying. But here you go, with the player off press ( title, clear, power ) on your remote within one second of each other. your player will come on as soon as you hit the power & will display a blue screen with 9 different options. You wont to enter (Emergency history) to get the hours used. You will use the corresponding numbers on the remote to make your selections. After that turning the power off will take you back out of the menu.

Whatever you do I do not suggest messing around with anything else in the menu. The same rule applyes here as dose in your TV's service menu. If you mess with the wrong thing you can really screw up the player.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John,
Lasers don't last forever. If I were you, I would play CDs through the night on a cheap CD player. I would never put an expensive unit in constant repeat mode, especially to play music that I would hear very little of (i.e., since I would be sleeping most of the time). Expensive players should be built better, so the argument could be made that they should last longer. However, I don't feel that constant repeat mode is good for any player.
Joe said:
my DVD player has 22,167 hours for DVD & 29 hours for CD of use on it & its still going strong
Dang! You've watched a boatload of movies! ;)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Yeah thats what i thought keith...... I was kinda hoping someone would give me crazy news... but in my heart i knew better.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
WOW...... I just realized 22167.... thats 923 DAYS over 2 and a half years of continuous use, i mean assuming Joe works nd perhaps even sleeps then he is what watching at best 8 hours of dvd's a day.... and that means his player is what 7.5 years old or something?

DUDE I am impressed, what player is this that has been built like a freaking tank

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, I was thinking of asking Joe what player he has myself. If we consider that the average movie is two hours long, he has watched over 11,000 movies on his DVD player! Not necessarily 11,000 different movies, but still!

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I was pretty shocked at how many hours I've wrapped up myself. The player is a Sony DVP-C650D that is getting close to three years old. I guess between my wife & kids & I we have wrapped up quit a bit of hours on it. The biggest reason I think it has so many on it was At one point it was the only thing I had so it got used all day long. Even know I use it almost all night when I get home from work. & not to mention I have fell asleep with something playing quite a few times.:D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, I have the Sony 'C670D, which succeeded the 'C650D. I hope I get as much use out of my player as you have gotten out of yours. The only problem is that I will probably upgrade before I ever get that far. :)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Keith, I plan on retiring it pretty soon hopefully. I cant complain it was my first DVD player & I'm surprised it has lasted as long as it has with all the use I've managed to put on it. I have always taken very good care of all my stuff though so I guess that helps out.

I'm hopeing Sony will release a ES mega changer that I can replace this one with, but if not I plan on at least getting something in the ES line. Another 5 disk would be fine with me but I don't think I've even seen that yet.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, did you ever have a problem with your 'C650D where it would shut down automatically soon after power up? Back in the early summer of 2000, I was looking for a DVD changer, and I liked the 'C650D. I went through three units in a matter of three days because every unit would turn off after I turned it on. Two of the units came from one store and had the same production date and similar serial numbers, but the third unit came from a different store and had a different production date and a very different serial number. The problem would only occur when I powered up the unit after it had been turned off for a long period of time (several hours, overnight, etc.). When it turned off automatically, I could turn it back on immediately and it would be fine. I learned from Sony that some of their DVD players from that generation had a bad IC, which could be replaced under warranty. Since I knew the 'C670D was coming by the end of the summer, I decided to wait for the new model. Oh well. My experience with the 'C650D was frustrating, but I know that not everyone had this problem.

On another subject, Sony is yet to release an ES megachanger or carousel changer that plays DVDs. I am not aware of any such models coming out, but I'd love to see them.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Hey I just hope my PS2 lasts as long as that player you got Joe.... or at least until the PS3 comes out.
hey joe all that dvd watchign never made you go blind did it? hmmm another argument for watchign more movies :)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Keith, mine has done that to me mabey two or three times since I bought it. The only problem I have ever had other than that is that sometimes it dosent like to shut off when you hit the power, but that is kinda rare I think its done it mabey 6 or 7 times.

Jay, the CD hours are low because I only used it for a few weeks with CD's. Other than that I have had a stand alone CD changer for music.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I bought one of the 1st cds players (top loading!) in about 1981. I sold it to a friend about 1993 and he played the hell out of it till about 1998
17 years without a problem
Think the Power supply went - not worth fixing
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks