What's new

is the Tempest shielded or not shielded? (1 Viewer)

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I'm wondering if the tempest is shielded or not. I am planning to build one. It will be place it fairly close to my TV, so I just want to make sure if it is shielded or not. Thanks...

Alex,

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
The Tempest is not shielded. To my knowledge, the only Adire units which are shielded are the smaller woofers, the AV3, AV5, and AV8.

Aaron Gilbert

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Aaron for a quick response. So it's a no go if I have to place the Tempest sub next to the TV? or there's some way out of this?

Alex,

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
How close is the magnet going to be to the tube (is it even a CRT television?)?

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
I got the Samsung 32" flat and believed it's an CRT TV. After my box measurement, I have room for about 1 ft away from the tv. Just afraid that it might be a problem w/ the TV. Thanks and regards...

Alex,

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor

i had no problems with this set up :D boy were my parents surprised when i moved it back from school.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Alex,

1' is usually too close, expecially for a magnet as large as on the Tempest. However, it depends on where the magnet is in relation to the front of the TV. You will note that Allen's sub is considerably behind the TV (although even negating that it still looks like 2-3'). Televisions such as yours should be much less sensitive to magnetic interference from behind. If you had the edge of the woofer 1' away from the edge of the front though (top, bottom, or sides), no way would that work. Of course this would mean your woofer would be farther forward than the TV... :) The only way to know for sure is to try. Most TV's these days have a degauss feature built in to fix an error that might be temporarily created. Older TV's like mine can typically be mended by unplugging them for some time.

Aaron Gilbert

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for the input... I have lil more room in the corner of the room but that is right next to the heater. I guess worst come to worst I will move the TV away a lil and put the sub in the corner... I am just hungry for more bass :D

1 more question: what do you guys recommend for the amp? I'm trying to go under $200 for the amp. Will the MCM 250W work or the PE 250W? Those 2 cost less than $150.

Thanks a million...

Alex,

Eugene _L.

Auditioning
Alex, I got the Partsexpress amp for my Tempest SBB4 alingment and it pounds nicely. It went on sale a while ago for $89.Plenty of juice for the Tempest in a ported box. I brought it over to a friend's house and we had to move it about 3 feet from his TV because it was causing a rainbow effect on the picture if it was any closer. It was kind of funny. He's in the process of building his Tempest with the Partsexpress amp also. As soon as he heard what a DIY sub sounded like, he was hooked. I wish I had room for two!

Alex_P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys...

Graham, I am planning to build a sealed down-firing Tempest myself. Let just hope there is no problem w/ the TV. I got the plan draw out... All set just waiting for after Valentine Day... The girlfriend things :)

Thanks all for the help....

Alex,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks