Shielding a Tempest... possible?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Owen Bartley, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

I'm just about ready to put together my Tempest, but when I put it in its soon to be new home to test it freeair (its about 5 feet to the left of the TV in a corner) I got a little discoloration in the bottom left of the screen. So now I'm thinking I should try to do something to shield this a bit. Is there something like a sheet of metal I can just put in while I'm building? Or even line the side of the TV cabinet with? The problem isn't huge, so this doesn't need to be a really elaborate solution, just needs to block a little bit of the magnetic energy.

Oh, and I'll have pics up of the process once I get it finished too, don't worry!

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

The way to restrict magnetic fields is with ferromagnetic material. Ferromagnetic materials are highly conductive with respect to magnetism, so that they 'capture' the magnetic field.

A sheet of steel should work or perhaps iron, even if it's perforated. I think companies use nickel foil or cobalt based alloys, or mumetal alloy for magnetic shielding. Hey, maybe with some commercial shielding you'll be able to put the tempest inside your tv.

3. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

You can actually buy Bucking magnets that glue onto the back of the Tempest Magnet and this will make it a shielded driver. SHouldn't be too expensive at all, but you have to find the right magnet first.

4. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Thanks guys, I'll look into both options. I think I have a sheet of some perforated steel lying around, so that will probably be what I go with... will something that easy really work? I was just planning on lining the inside of the enclosure (on the TV side at the very least) with a sheet. Sound good?