Here is the Sub I am thing of building.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by marc_manny, Mar 25, 2004.

1. marc_manny

marc_manny Stunt Coordinator

I was looking to build a small sub. The driver I was looking at was the Dayton 10" shielded DVC subwoofer from part express Part Number 295-485, and powering it with their 120w amp Part Number 300-792. I also added in a couple of other small items like polyfill, and speaker mounting kit. The whole thing without MDF will cost about $140.00. PE has an example of a sealed box design on their site which is what I plan on using. You can find the box design on the same page as the driver under the install tab.

I was wondering what you guys think? i.e. price for performance wise. I know this is no tempest and such, but I don't have $300 to spend. Are there any other suggestions? I am also going on the fact that they supply the box example.

Thanks,
    Marc

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I think that would make a nice little sub. Personally, with smaller drivers, I prefer ported enclosures to get a little more bass extension out of them... but, you'd sacrifice the smaller enclosure size.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Nice little project.

But side with Dave with the smaller drivers (ie) 8's & most 10's, generlly I prefer a ported or PR'ed encloser to make use of max extension and output.
    assuming their room for adaquit porting..

But of course this adds to the cost slightly ported, (port's & more MDF) , & substansualy with good PR/s, The ported box will certianly require a larger box for sure..

Do you have sub encloser size limitations/SAP or just trying to keep things on the cheap???

Regards
    Geoff

4. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

Looks Good, here's what I built.

[​IMG]

Good Luck.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Marc,

Your idea is quite creative at developing a sub for you. Also, don't overlook the used market for drivers. Personally, if you could find a used Shiva for a good price, you could then use that - which would be an awesome combo.

I have a pair of Shivas running in 23L sealed cabinets (each). I haven't watched a movie yet because I just installed them a few days ago. However, I've been listening to music quite often and they are performing above and beyond my expectionations.

I'll post some pictures within a few days of my project.

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi Wayne

Are you planning to, or possiby already are boosting the low end on the 23L (1.4ft^3) Shivas?

What are you using to juice them???

For most music I would assume they sound great, but once you finally get to pound out some HT, I'm wondering if you plan to introduce some mild eq-ing on the bottom end???

Your cabinets are very close in volume to my 2-Sealed 1.3ft^3 + 100% stuffed 12's. These sealed subs use the orig SVS driver which models very close to the Shiva, and a pair of Rythmik 380's with goodies are juicing them. The cabiets are a touch to small, but perform well considering.

Pari eq-ing in my case was used for HT to get a bit deeper/stronger bottom end and a smooth out over all FR across the band in my screwy room.
    On the whole I'm pretty pleased with them for music and their not to shabby for HT by any means.

I also run an carbon copy SVS-2039pc clone during movies with an on board PE-250. With all 3 runing I am pretty happy over all with the quaility, SPL, and extension I'm getting for HT, and no one sub has to work to awful hard.

Seems latley tho, I'm getting the itch to sell them all and build some new single box multi driver monster of some type. Summer is just around the corner you know...[​IMG]

Damn this hobby, seem enough is just never enough! [​IMG]

Cheers
    Geoff

7. Bhavesh

Bhavesh Stunt Coordinator

Hi marc,
    I'm also building a sub with the DAYTON 12" DVC SUBWOOFER Part Number 295-185.
    There's also the finished DAYTON 10" 100 WATT POWERED SUBWOOFER Part Number 300-632 in your budget range. Lots of good reviews on it on the HTF.

8. marc_manny

marc_manny Stunt Coordinator

Ya it's finished and I like the idea of building my own. Thanks for the info.

Marc

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Mi Marc

Have you started, and or finishd your project?

Also did you stay with your opening post 10", and amp, design?

Just curious as to how you like it once it's finished and pumping some low end for you...[​IMG]

Regards
    Geoff

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I have the Nady XA-1100 amp. 500 watts is capable of going to each sub. [​IMG]

11. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Ain't that the truth...I just finishing tweaking my dual monstrous AV15's in a 1500ft^3 room. With the higher tune I just did I should get about 2dB more output from around 20-35Hz. The funny thing is the only time I reached their limits was when demoing it past reference level so one would think I would have been happy.

12. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thats right, I remember a bit back you being one of the first, or if not the first, to grab one of the new Nandys.

Sounds good, look forward to your impression on the small cab Shivas lower end once you decide to go BFDestroyer/Pari-whatever/or LT.

Alaways a trade off some where when designing a sub, but the small cabinets for the 12's definitely got a high spouse aproval around here!

Thanks for the up to date Wanye, and apoligize for the partial hi-jack on Marcs 10" DIY thread.... :b

Geoff