What's new

Is the Neverending Story in Danger of P&S? (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Considering what has happened with Willy Wonka, this worries me that another film I loved as a child that is being released by Warner might get the same treatment.
Does anyone know if The Neverending Story will still be widescreen? God I hope so. It being released exactly one week after Willy Wonka, so, I guess we'll just have to see.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
It was announced as being 1:2.35 & 16x9 enhanced, but then again Wonka was announced as having a widescreen transfer. It seems that we can't trust Warner to tell us the truth about their products. Why they would lie about this is beyond me.
Personally I am very concerned that Neverending story will turn out to be Pan & Scan only.. and there can't be a lame "it's really just open matte" fig leaf excuse for this one either.
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Oh, I already posted my opinions on the Wonka message board that Warner setup, I signed the petition, posted some posts here, emailed Warner my displeasure, and most importantly, cancelled my preorder of this disc from CDNow.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
It was announced as being 1:2.35 & 16x9 enhanced...
1:2.35? Now that's what I call pan/scan.
wink.gif

Fingers crossed for OAR widescreen on this as well as for Masters of the Universe.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
quote: Why would WB P&S Neverending Story?
They haven't P&S'ed any scope films, so why this one?[/quote]
DVDfile said they wanted to P/S the Goonies...another 2.35 title, except the director got personally involved and insisted they release it 16x9 widescreen.
There is reason to worry about Neverending Story. We should definitely write letters and do all that we can.
Maybe there was a shift in personnel at Warner in their "family" department or maybe some committee or persons just finally decided to flex their muscles after keeping in the shadows for a time.
Whatever the reason, Neverending Story is in danger. Please call/write WB and let them know you want it OAR and 16x9.
-dave
[Edited last by DaViD Boulet on August 07, 2001 at 02:49 PM]

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
They received my concern over this title when I wrote in to let them know I canceled my preorder for WWATCF, and would also cancel this one if the go P&S or OM.
------------------
Kyle³
------------------
ICQ# - 49909504
nowonkadvd.gif

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
What's going on at Warner these days?
P&S only releases, talk about short-sighted release policy!
BTW Kyle, I love your sig-pic! :)
------------------
~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I noticed that The Neverending Story is available for preorder on the WB web site, so I e-mailed their customer service enquiring whether the DVD was in widescreen.
Their reply
We're sorry, but we at Time Warner Order Center customer service don't have any
information on the products until the information is released to the public.
So they will sell me the DVD, but the contents of that DVD are, apparently, a secret even from WB's customer service!
Not a good sign IMO.
------------------
-- Will Work for Five Million Dollars

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Artur Meinild, I just want to point out my sig pic is taken from thedigitalbits.com.
------------------
Kyle³
------------------
ICQ# - 49909504
nowonkadvd.gif

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
I am DYING to hear word on this already. Official news on ratio.
frown.gif

No way am I seeing the land of phantasia butchered.
Second, the disc is barebones with 2.0 sound. I can't imagine it sporting pan and scan only. Plus imagine if they cut out that horse death scene in which some jabronies said it was too graphic and grotesque.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
This is also one I'm worried about, nevermind the fact that it has zero extra features, but if it has P&S only, I will be one pissed off dude.
------------------
"Staying home from school?"
"Yeah, Mom's afraid I'll get kidnapped too."

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Imagine this:
1) Pan and Scam
2) 2.0 sound only
3) No features, Nada, sterile disc
4) Snapper Crapper
Now, why would would I want to get rid of the VHS version? Sure there is wear and tear, but for the sake of not rewinding anymore? I don't think so.
wink.gif

[Edited last by Antonio_M on August 09, 2001 at 03:12 PM]

Ben Tallen

Agent
Has anyone seen any recent public opinion polls on the subject WS versus P&S? I'd be interested to hear what the majority of Americans (and the world) think of this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.