What's new

Is the Neverending Story in Danger of P&S? (1 Viewer)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I am going to watch the disc now...will have a review up before dawn!!
------------------
card11.jpg

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Tell us if the "Atreyu horse death" part is in there. I heard some carp about this. (Thought I heard they removed it.)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Atreyu's horse still gets pulled into the swamp...so rest easy.
The transfer on this disc is awesome. For a movie this old this is stunning work. Beautiful cinematography, great movie, and WIDESCREEN to boot!!!
Sound was okay...just Dolby 2.0. Nothing too flashy, but good nonetheless. Extras a very lacking, as this film just begs for a special edition. Guess they could only fit so much on a single layer so they could put the pan and scan shit on the other side.
Overall a very beautiful DVD, and a must buy for a great family film. Sorry I dont have another transfer to compare it to, as it has been about ten years since I have seen the film, was too caught up in the movie to really nitpick the transfer. Even though some grain and scratches were apparent, mainly on matte effect shots.
I would give the picture quality on this a 4 out of 5. Great to look at, but nothing so stunning as to drool over.
------------------
card11.jpg

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you! Amazing this movie could look so good considering it's old. I am sooo happy and can't wait! I love this movie so much and I'm very excited it's widescreen! I don't care about extras. :)
Glad it got a great transfer!!! My Number #3 movie of all time!
icon14.gif

My top movies:
1) Dark City
2) Superman
3) Neverending Story

Thane

Stunt Coordinator
Have to agree that this disc looks great! Watched my copy yesterday, and the opening scenes with the cloud formations look just awesome! This is one DVD that turned out better than I expected!
------------------
MY DVD LIBRARY

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ugh...You guys are driving me nuts!
[mantra]
Must have NeverEnding Story DVD...Must have it now...want to get a Sharp 9000 16x9 DLP projector to watch Neverending Story DVD...Must buy must watch...now...
[/mantra]
dave :)

AaronJB

Second Unit
To give a further idea about the film's presentation, I have to say that I believe restoration or some digital cleaning must have been done to get the picture to its current appearance. There are some effects scenes here and there that look slightly grainy, but they've always appeared that way. Otherwise, I see very little in the way of print flaws - a speckle here and there, but no marks, scratches or dirt.
Colors, on the other hand, look incredible. Bright colors appear unbelievably vibrant and beautiful. I don't know if this is going to be anyone's reference DVD, but those who are fans of the movie will be thrilled.
The audio, on the other hand, is Dolby 2.0. A 5.1 remaster might have been appreciated.
Edited: my review is now available at the link below.
DVD Review: Neverending Story
[Edited last by AaronJB on September 01, 2001 at 09:13 AM]

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The reason for "original stereo" only is probably because the original audio stems are at Bavaria Studios. (Only a though...I might be wrong.)
Also, the reason for scratches is partially because of effect shots being shot in Germany and sent over to Industrial Light + Magic for compositing the various matte, puppet, and blue screen effect scenes.
It still is a bummer that there isn't a SE with the german version, and more extras. Still, it's worth getting for the transfer in OAR.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.