What's new

Is the JFK SE remastered? (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I was reading a review at dvdauthority, but I am still unclear as to whether or not a new remaster has been done to the film. Does anyone know?

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
I just got it - even though the box says "remastered" I do believe it's the same exact transfer as the Oliver Stone collection DVD - same menus, same chapter stops, same everything. In fact, I think the only new thing in this set is the niney minute documentary Beyond JFK, made in 1992. I was really hoping for a documentary of more current vintage along with some new interviews.

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
The first DVD of JFK was a "flipper", and did not have an anamorphic transfer (even though the case said it did). The film was remastered for the Oliver Stone box set, and this is the transfer used for the stand-alone JFK 2-disk set. I haven't heard anything about a new transfer for this new dvd. There is a "new" documentary, Beyond JFK, and the set comes in a standard amaray case instead of WB's cheap snapper. If you already own the Oliver Stone Collection version, there probably isn't any need to double-dip here. (If I'm not mistaken, the documentary has shown on cable television and is available on VHS. It features an interview with the real Clay Shaw, and is a great companion to the movie.)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
IGN indicates that it is the same transfer as the Oliver Stone Collection disc.

HankM

Second Unit
Hopefully it is packaged better than the one in my Oliver Stone box. Is it still a snapper for a 2-disc set?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
It is the same as the Oliver Stone box, but is still REMASTERED versus the non-anamorphic Laserdisc rehash original release.

-Vince

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
They really ought to split the film over two sides/discs, though. Other than that, it's pretty good, but could be better.

Gordy

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
The new doc was in the deluxe Laserdisc box set version. Does the new set have EVERYTHING from the prior 2-disc set PLUS the doc, or is anything now missing?

DeeF

Screenwriter
I got my copy of JFK in the Oliver Stone collection, and it is a two-disk special edition that comes in a snapper case. The documentary is there.

BobG

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the interviews with Fletcher Prouty are on the upcoming 2 disc set?

BarryS

Second Unit
Man, I just bought JFK a couple of months ago. The 2-disc "Oliver Stone Collection" edition. I had no idea that a new DVD was coming out. Crap.

Is a third release really necessary?

Shane_Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Is a third release really necessary?

To quote Joe Pesci:

"It's a conspiracy wrapped in a riddle wrapped in an enigma"

:D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
The only thing "new" is the packaging.
No, that's not accurate. The 2003 DVD includes a documentary absent on the 2001 issue. No, it's not a "new" documentary in that it was produced recently, but it's new to a JFK DVD release.

All questions about this set are simple: it's exactly the same as the 2001 version PLUS the extra documentary. No new transfer, no new audio, no new nothing other than the documentary...

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
My mistake, Colin. Thanks for the correction. :emoji_thumbsup:

Don't think I'll double-dip, though. If I didn't have the previous SE, then I would hesitate on this new SE for a second, though.

Gordy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Whatever you think about JFK as a work based on fact or fiction, it's a tremendous piece of work and contains one of the most truly visceral scenes - Garrison's dissection of the Zapruda film - in cinema.

Oliver Stone :emoji_thumbsup:

---
So many films, so little time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks