What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (4 Viewers)

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Project 120 was the first made for TV movie unit and made "The Killers" with Lee Marvin, which was released theatrically because of violence. The 120 referred to the two hour time slot. Later Universal TV movies were referred to as World Premieres when NBC aired them. The first one of that group was '"Fame is the Name of the Game".

CBS had similar unit named for the runtime, Cinema Center 100, and one of those titles was, "A Step Out of Line", with Peter Falk and Vic Morrow.

Last edited:

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
69731884_10157451915091564_461784859212251136_n.jpg

Universal studios shooting schedule for active sound stages posted on a certain day in 1964, showing the TV shows and theatrical feature films then in production...I have no idea what Project 120 was...perhaps a then untitled and yet to be sold pilot episode or feature film...the long running Jack Benny, Hitchcock Presents/Hour, Wagon Train and McHale's Navy in their last seasons...the feature films in production being the wonderful Father Goose (Carry Grant, Leslie Caron, Trevor Howard) and Art of Love (James Garner, Dick Van Dyke, Angie Dickinson, Elke Sommer)

Project 120 was the first made for TV movie unit and made "The Killers" with Lee Marvin, which was released theatrically because of violence. The 120 referred to the two hour time slot. Later Universal TV movies were referred to as World Premieres when NBC aired them. The first one of that group was '"Fame is the Name of the Game".

CBS had similar unit named for the runtime, Cinema Center 100, and one of those titles was, "A Step Out of Line", with Peter Falk and Vic Morrow.
Great info, Bob! Thank you! I have the Criterion Blu-ray double feature of The Killers, (1946 Paramount, 1964 TV versions), I like both versions, the earlier one is a Noir classic of course, but the '64 production was directed by action master Don Siegel and has Lee Marvin, Angie Dickinson and future Prez Ronald Reagan in memorably desperate and rotten performances...when Reagan became President, the Soviets would often dredge up the publicity photo of Reagan pointing a pistol with a sneer on his face for cold war propaganda!

With the four long running Universal produced TV shows in their last seasons, Universal wouldn't have much luck with the new shows in production...Broadside (Kathy Nolan, Edward Andrews, Joan Staley), regrettably, would only last one season, Jack Klugman's new sitcom, Harris Against the World, would be gone by January 1965, Karen (Debbie Watson, Richard Denning) was part of the 90 Bristol Court trio of sitcoms and would only last one season as part of that trio of shows. Tom, Dick and Mary (Don Galloway, Joyce Bullifant) would also be gone in January 1965. Kraft Suspense Theater and Bob Hope's Chrysler Theater were both returning successful anthology shows that still had some life in them...The Virginian would be going into it's third season, and of course would last 9 seasons...The Munsters was the only successful new show in this roster...

69836784_10157452043646564_4303320255771443200_n.jpg

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
And, as I mentioned over in the other thread, Project 120 led to a new old show that would be a success for Universal... Dragnet.

If I recall the bit from the My Name's Friday book correctly, Universal wanted to get Jack Webb involved with Project 120. By the time everything came together, he was working on what would become World Premiere: Dragnet. But then, they decided to resurrect the weekly half hour show as Dragnet 1967, leaving the movie that would've started it all in the can until 1969.

And, from Dragnet's resurrection, Universal got Adam-12 and Emergency out of the deal.

What I don't remember is if the shows like Columbo, which were monthly TV movies, came out of Project 120/World Premiere as well. I'm sure someone can refresh my memory on the "movie wheel" era.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
And, as I mentioned over in the other thread, Project 120 led to a new old show that would be a success for Universal... Dragnet.

If I recall the bit from the My Name's Friday book correctly, Universal wanted to get Jack Webb involved with Project 120. By the time everything came together, he was working on what would become World Premiere: Dragnet. But then, they decided to resurrect the weekly half hour show as Dragnet 1967, leaving the movie that would've started it all in the can until 1969.

And, from Dragnet's resurrection, Universal got Adam-12 and Emergency out of the deal.

What I don't remember is if the shows like Columbo, which were monthly TV movies, came out of Project 120/World Premiere as well. I'm sure someone can refresh my memory on the "movie wheel" era.
This is why I love coming here. I learn something new all of the time!

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
The original trio for, the 90 min. slot, NBC SUNDAY MYSTERY MOVIE wheel was Columbo, McCloud, and McMillan and Wife. All three had 120 min. slot, pilot movies under the World Premiere banner. I did not check the other wheels. Columbo had two World Premiere pilots. After the McCloud pilot, the show was part of FOUR-IN-ONE, for the first season with six one hour slot episodes in a shared time slot with three other shows.

I am not sure when NBC and Universal stopped using the designation World Premiere. The answer is in this book, but takes some research, as it lists all the series and TV movies A-Z, instead of year by year. This book even lists the rare TV movies Universal made for the late night ABC WIDE WORLD OF ENTERTAINMENT/WIDE WORLD OF MYSTERY.
41g7uQyn1YL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
The original trio for, the 90 min. slot, NBC SUNDAY MYSTERY MOVIE wheel was Columbo, McCloud, and McMillan and Wife. All three had 120 min. slot, pilot movies under the World Premiere banner. I did not check the other wheels. Columbo had two World Premiere pilots. After the McCloud pilot, the show was part of FOUR-IN-ONE, for the first season with six one hour slot episodes in a shared time slot with three other shows.

I am not sure when NBC and Universal stopped using the designation World Premiere. The answer is in this book, but takes some research, as it lists all the series and TV movies A-Z, instead of year by year. This book even lists the rare TV movies Universal made for the late night ABC WIDE WORLD OF ENTERTAINMENT/WIDE WORLD OF MYSTERY.
View attachment 62823

I love that book!

Found it in a used book shop a few years ago for $5!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Dusted off the old crystal ball just for kicks, thinking that I’d see nothing but static darkness owning to the times we find ourselves in. But lo and behold, a couple of things seemed to appear. One had something to do with a schoolteacher. Another seemed to be set in a hospital. Both seemed to be near, not far off.

Gary “take it for what you will” O.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Dusted off the old crystal ball just for kicks, thinking that I’d see nothing but static darkness owning to the times we find ourselves in. But lo and behold, a couple of things seemed to appear. One had something to do with a schoolteacher. Another seemed to be set in a hospital. Both seemed to be near, not far off.

Gary “take it for what you will” O.
Our Miss Brooks , Ben Casey , or Mr. Novak season 2 . Any of those would be very welcome

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Wow! Thank you Gary for this news and the renewed hope for good things from CBS MOD!

They're both great shows that have been sadly left for wanting in the DVD era.

Eve Arden was one of the two highest paid actresses working in '50s TV, second only to Lucy herself.
I Love most of what I've seen of Our Miss Brooks...her witty retorts to Gale Gordon and her daily morning ordeal of riding to school in dimwitted student Richard Crenna's old car. A great extended supporting cast, including Gene Barry in the last season.

There's no understating the well earned status of Ben Casey as being one of the finest, most prestigious and honored dramas of 1960s American network TV. Yes, it's that good and important to that era! The biggest names for guest stars and a lot of very welcome and familiar faces...top shelf writers and directors. 1961-66 with 153 episodes total. And with 32 episodes in season one, with the pricey CBS MOD MSRP, I would expect that season one will be issued in two volumes. Probably the same thing with Our Miss Brooks, as it has the same number (39) of 30 minute episodes as My Three Sons...

The memorable opening and titles for Ben Casey...with that brilliant theme music by David Raskin (Laura)...

Tuesday Weld guest stars in the season one finale, When You See an Evil Man (May 28, 1962)...
MV5BM2NiZDA4M2MtYzljZS00YTBlLWEyNzQtNDM2ODFhZjJjMTM5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzk3NTUwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

And speaking of Richard Crenna, I hope against hope for another CBS show, another Bing Crosby production, and from the same producers, Slattery's People...and Peter Falk's Trials of O'Brien...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nielmb
    Recent bookmarks