What's new

Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I checked a while back and unfortunately elements for Code 3 (and a lot of other Roach produced TV shows) do not exist at Sonar (Roach rights holder). No Amos 'n Andy either.

- David
I'm sure that CBS Paramount owns, and has the rights to all of the masters , negatives, promo material etc.on Amos And Andy and all of it is now stored on the west coast . I understand that this material is in excellent condition and could produce a top quality "complete series " set I got this info from someone who used to work there . Because of the extremely sensitive politically correct era we live in , it isn't likely we'll ever see this show. There is at least one collectors type of company that sells a decent quality set of most episodes . They also sell Sky King , so I'm not sure if they made a deal with Paramount , who knows ? .

oldtvshowbuff

Supporting Actor
Real Name
James Beer
I checked a while back and unfortunately elements for Code 3 (and a lot of other Roach produced TV shows) do not exist at Sonar (Roach rights holder). No Amos 'n Andy either.

- David
Amos-n-Andy is owned by CBS, and a DVD release may never see the light of day!

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
I'm sure that CBS Paramount owns, and has the rights to all of the masters , negatives, promo material etc.on Amos And Andy and all of it is now stored on the west coast . I understand that this material is in excellent condition and could produce a top quality "complete series " set I got this info from someone who used to work there . Because of the extremely sensitive politically correct era we live in , it isn't likely we'll ever see this show. There is at least one collectors type of company that sells a decent quality set of most episodes . They also sell Sky King , so I'm not sure if they made a deal with Paramount , who knows ? .

Thought they were all PD. Do you have any sources?

- David

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Thought they were all PD. Do you have any sources?

- David

A quick search at the Library of Congress website reveals that all 78 episodes of the series were renewed in the early 80s.

What about the Gale Storm Show? Hal Roach produced the first 3 seasons while ITC took over the 4th season of the show, which was still running on ABC at the time. Does Sonar have the Roach produced episodes or did all it transfer over to ITC when they took over production?

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David
A quick search at the Library of Congress website reveals that all 78 episodes of the series were renewed in the early 80s.

What about the Gale Storm Show? Hal Roach produced the first 3 seasons while ITC took over the 4th season of the show, which was still running on ABC at the time. Does Sonar have the Roach produced episodes or did all it transfer over to ITC when they took over production?

Link please.

ClassicFlix

Insider
Real Name
David

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I just came across this remarkable photo on FB, posted by Captain Bijou...an overhead shot in the cramped DuMont TV studios in early 1951 for a live production of Major Dell Conway of the Flying Tigers...apparently no kinescopes have ever surfaced of the live broadcasts, the series starting with Eric Fleming, later of Rawhide, in the titular role, and later replaced by Ed Peck. The info I have is that the show continued to air on DuMont until March 1952, having a 2 month hiatus in May-June 1951 (at the time Eric Fleming was replaced?)...apparently, some of the later episodes were filmed and at least one survives from those in trading circles...notice the announcer in his booth on standby ready to deliver a live commercial for Powerhouse candy bars...
62405517_2312793592077157_1162102113166163968_n.jpg

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I just came across this remarkable photo on FB, posted by Captain Bijou...an overhead shot in the cramped DuMont TV studios in early 1951 for a live production of Major Dell Conway of the Flying Tigers...apparently no kinescopes have ever surfaced of the live broadcasts, the series starting with Eric Fleming, later of Rawhide, in the titular role, and later replaced by Ed Peck. The info I have is that the show continued to air on DuMont until March 1952, having a 2 month hiatus in May-June 1951 (at the time Eric Fleming was replaced?)...apparently, some of the later episodes were filmed and at least one survives from those in trading circles...notice the announcer in his booth on standby ready to deliver a live commercial for Powerhouse candy bars...
62405517_2312793592077157_1162102113166163968_n.jpg

Cool photo find, Randall! (Like the new avatar, too.)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Cool photo find, Randall! (Like the new avatar, too.)
Thanks Jeff, I'm currently leading the 918th bomb group on daily missions to smash the Hun in Normandy, ha, ha...when I'm on final approach to Archbury, I really need a smoke, sweating out these tough missions!
A 12 o'clock 20.JPG

I hope to find more photos like that DuMont studio shot...that one had a lot of fascinating detail...a nearly forgotten live program that barely exists on film, produced by a TV network that itself died out after only a few years in the early days of regular broadcasting! The DuMont network, although being a critically important pioneer in TV and finding early success in launching Jackie Gleason, struggled to expand it's broadcast reach, being forced to seek licenses on the UHF band when many televisions were still being manufactured without UHF tuners in the '50s. DuMont ceased operating in 1956. Wikipedia has a nicely detailed article on the history of DuMont...

Press promotional material...
477px-Actors_.jpg

"Gen" Genovese, the series producer of Major Dell Conway of the Flying Tigers, who himself had been a pilot in the China-Burma-India theater in WW2...
495px-59D.jpg

Eric Fleming might have been replaced as Dell Conway by Ed Peck because Fleming was busy doing another DuMont live TV program, Shadow of the Cloak during the same 1951-52 period.
dushadow.jpg

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Gary I have to disagree with you on a couple points. First, I'll admit that my standard of what I classify as "vintage" TV is different from yours because to me the entire 70s is part of that equation overall with the earlier period so anytime I see more 70s movement to me, that indicates things are still thriving overall. (By contrast, I can count on one hand the number of post-1980 titles unreleased or stalled that I'd still get at this point)
But second, I think it does have to be acknowledged that in years past collectively there have been *fewer* 70s shows released to completion on DVD than there were 60s shows. I remember a couple years ago here compiling a list of all completed 60s titles (and fudging a bit to include Twilight Zone) and it outnumbered completed 70s titles considerably. It just seems to me that eventually the law of averages have to dictate some measure of catch-up once we have all of the most familiar titles of the earlier period accounted for.
And even there, it seems to me that there is still a lot of thriving in the earlier periods of which you speak. "Car 54?" Finished. "My Living Doll"? Finally coming. Good prospects for finishing Route 66, and we are also seeing movement on Donna Reed, Hazel, the finishing of Steve Canyon, and the Warner Archive I am confidant will deliver on more titles from its library and fill another void. At the moment the one early 60s title that is driving me up a wall in terms of being stalled is "Burke's Law" which IMO MUST be finished to make this era truly complete from my standpoint. If that gets done, then I'm just about at the contentment standpoint. But overall, I think the volume is still quite impressive for one to program his own network and isn't quite at the point you think it is.
Just my two cents there.

I'd like to see the following be released to DVD (or Blu-Ray if possible)

*East Side/West Side

*The Eleventh Hour

*Breaking Point

*Slattery's People

*Ben Casey

*Love On A Rooftop

*Mr. Terrific

*Captain Nice

*My World, And Welcome To It

*Accidental Family

*My Friend Tony

*N.Y.P.D.

*He & She

Yes , a shame since Tim Moore, Spencer Williams , Johnny Lee, and Nick Stewart were such good actors and comedians , and no one will be able to see their best known work.

Older black people might want to see it, but yes, younger generations would freak out about this show being on DVD or Blu-Ray (the reaction to this classically-set video game is one example of how current generations regard older material; all sorts of articles, this one in particular examining how said game has racial overtones.)

Last edited:

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Along with the aforementioned Amos & Andy, my present wish list would include:

Ozzie & Harriet
Lassie
(including the color Ranger years - which old look incredible if remastered)
Bachelor Father
Mickey Mouse Club
season sets
Boston Blackie
I Led Three Lives
Code 3
Richard Diamond, Private Detective
Trackdown
Black Saddle
Stagecoast West
Rescue 8
Rin Tin Tin
Casey Jones
Gray Ghost
City Detective
Fireside Theater
Colt ‘45
Follow the Sun
The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters
Branded
The Richard Boone Show
Noah’s Ark

among many more.

Gary “not asking for much, am I” O.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Along with the aforementioned Amos & Andy, my present wish list would include:

Ozzie & Harriet
Lassie
(including the color Ranger years - which old look incredible if remastered)
Bachelor Father
Mickey Mouse Club
season sets
Boston Blackie
I Led Three Lives
Code 3
Richard Diamond, Private Detective
Trackdown
Black Saddle
Stagecoast West
Rescue 8
Rin Tin Tin
Casey Jones
Gray Ghost
City Detective
Fireside Theater
Colt ‘45
Follow the Sun
The Travels of Jaimie McPheeters
Branded
The Richard Boone Show
Noah’s Ark

among many more.

Gary “not asking for much, am I” O.
For me all of those , plus The People's Choice , December Bride , Johnny Ringo, Hotel De Paree, Love That Bob, Happy, Adventures In Paradise , and I have my fingers crossed we'll get the rest of My little Margie soon. I know we can forget about the WB detective shows .
Branded was out years ago in mediocre quality- I'd go for a remastered set !

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
For me all of those , plus The People's Choice , December Bride , Johnny Ringo, Hotel De Paree, Love That Bob, Happy, Adventures In Paradise , and I have my fingers crossed we'll get the rest of My little Margie soon. I know we can forget about the WB detective shows .
Branded was out years ago in mediocre quality- I'd go for a remastered set !

Excellent additions, Lou! I’m in for all those. That’s why I finished my list the way I did.

Gary “not sure how many we might see released, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed” O.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Great lists, Gary O and LouA! I'd be down for any or all of those (especially the westerns!)! Fingers crossed we get lucky and see a few of these trickle out over the next few years as the format slowly dwindles to a close...

Is it because all that will be released in the future will be everything that's new and current, and we won't see any more older shows or classics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks